'79 Power wagon 200 new owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
Bernie from Winnipeg, Manitoba here. I bought a nicely preserved 1979 power wagon from a guy for $1000 this last Canada day. My friend said it was a steal and i still think it is. However, I've never owned a truck, let alone a vehicle older than 15 years old! I really want to restore this beast to its former glory, however, I'm starting from absolute scratch. No TOD, no car history, salvage status purchase, no manuals or anything like that. If anyone could point me in the right direction, any advice would be appreciated! I'd love to get my hands an any form of a car manual and/or repair manual information. I'm looking forward to posting the truck's progress on here.
image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

OP
OP
79PW_Bernie

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
Thanks! Couldn’t believe I got it for so low after i found out how rare and good condition it was.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Bernie from Winnipeg, Manitoba here. I bought a nicely preserved 1979 power wagon from a guy for $1000 this last Canada day. My friend said it was a steal and i still think it is. However, I've never owned a truck, let alone a vehicle older than 15 years old! I really want to restore this beast to its former glory, however, I'm starting from absolute scratch. No TOD, no car history, salvage status purchase, no manuals or anything like that. If anyone could point me in the right direction, any advice would be appreciated! I'd love to get my hands an any form of a car manual and/or repair manual information. I'm looking forward to posting the truck's progress on here.

Welcome to Ramforum. Looks like a great find. There are a lot of folks here that have older Ram (and Dodge) trucks. Yours is a couple of years older than what's referred to as "Gen 1" (first model year was '81) but here's a good place to start asking questions https://www.ramforum.com/forums/1st-gen-1981-1993.63/ . You might see if you can get your hands on a Chilton manual for your truck. Good luck!

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You definitely got a steal. That sure looks in good shape.

Powerwagon 200 is a rare bird indeed. Any info on the engine and transmission.

LMC truck has alot of parts for these old Mopar trucks and there are other's too...Raybucks is one I believe. JCWhitney was still selling stuff for them last I looked.

I have owned quite a few Powerwagon 100 and 150 but never got a 200. I did have 2 Power RAM 250s though.

Are you going with a original equipment restore...or you planning on mating different years of Mopar trucks.

If you come back saying it is a Big Block 4spd...I may have to cry a little.

Robeffy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Awesome, I had a 76 Dodge crew cab, a 78 Lil Red Express ( sold it aboiut a year ago ), a Dakota RT, and still have this 95 Ram 1500. I really like the 70's trucks.
There is an article about how the power is run thru the fuse box, and sometimes a short will melt you fuse box or even start a fire under the dash.
Look at write ups on Lil Red's, they are the same year, you may get some links to stuff.
Chilton's are not bad.
There is more money in keeping them stock, when you resell, my 2 cents worth

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice buy, welcome to the forums and you could look on line for a Chilton’s manual, and LMC truck for a lot of parts and your contact local junkyards, if the Junkers up there are anything like the ones down here in the lower 48 those guys have a lot of knowledge. Talk to some of the members here and good luck.

OP
OP
79PW_Bernie

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
Welcome to Ramforum. Looks like a great find. There are a lot of folks here that have older Ram (and Dodge) trucks. Yours is a couple of years older than what's referred to as "Gen 1" (first model year was '81) but here's a good place to start asking questions https://www.ramforum.com/forums/1st-gen-1981-1993.63/ . You might see if you can get your hands on a Chilton manual for your truck. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip, a proper manual would be a great start

OP
OP
79PW_Bernie

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
Nice buy, welcome to the forums and you could look on line for a Chilton’s manual, and LMC truck for a lot of parts and your contact local junkyards, if the Junkers up there are anything like the ones down here in the lower 48 those guys have a lot of knowledge. Talk to some of the members here and good luck.

Junkers here, especially in Manitoba, get picked clean pretty fast. it would have to be a parts car by some miracle if i needed something. thankfully theres always ebay!

OP
OP
79PW_Bernie

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
Thanks for welcome, and ill be sure to get out that forum>

OP
OP
79PW_Bernie

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
You definitely got a steal. That sure looks in good shape.

Powerwagon 200 is a rare bird indeed. Any info on the engine and transmission.

LMC truck has alot of parts for these old Mopar trucks and there are other's too...Raybucks is one I believe. JCWhitney was still selling stuff for them last I looked.

I have owned quite a few Powerwagon 100 and 150 but never got a 200. I did have 2 Power RAM 250s though.

Are you going with a original equipment restore...or you planning on mating different years of Mopar trucks.

If you come back saying it is a Big Block 4spd...I may have to cry a little.

Definitely going to look at a stock parts restoration. As far as the guy who i bought it from had known it only had 79,000kms, yup 79,000kms! i hope its the 5L though, i know they came in 3.7L. Wouldn't mind having a little more power as i plan to use it for practical use, not just having it sitting pretty

OP
OP
79PW_Bernie

79PW_Bernie

Reaction score
Ram Year
1979 Power Wagon 200
Engine
dont know
Awesome, I had a 76 Dodge crew cab, a 78 Lil Red Express ( sold it aboiut a year ago ), a Dakota RT, and still have this 95 Ram 1500. I really like the 70's trucks.
There is an article about how the power is run thru the fuse box, and sometimes a short will melt you fuse box or even start a fire under the dash.
Look at write ups on Lil Red's, they are the same year, you may get some links to stuff.
Chilton's are not bad.
There is more money in keeping them stock, when you resell, my 2 cents worth

Thanks for the tip, theres not much going to the battery from what i can see but ill have to give that a look through. its a total rats nest of a wiring job in the engine bay i have to say. I forgot about the Lil Reds, couldn't hurt to get a manual for one of those. Way more info than the W series. Also i am planning on keeping it stock, barring any major issues.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum. Great purchase!!! There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I'm sure that members will be able to give you a hand and try to answer questions about your truck.
Jay

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357