8-Speed Shift Points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sly Dvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 1500 4WD - I'm sure other 5.7 8HP70 (8-speed) owners have noticed this as well; the transmission delays the 1-2 or 2-3 shift points slightly when the steering wheel is off center. For example, when making a left through an intersection after a full stop, or a right from a stop sign. I know it's not a problem, but I'm curious why this delay would be programmed into the PCM. What were the Engineers trying to achieve? I would have thought an earlier shift would have kept the torque down if they were trying to reduce the chance of wheel slippage while accelerating through a corner. Typical me just trying to analyze the Engineer's logic...

Thoughts?

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's a myriad of different shift schedules and theories to adjust them built in to the tune. My last vehicle had the RFE trans and I spent countless hours tweaking the tune and found it still unsatisfactory due to programming limitations.

The 8hp tuning is good. Real good. There's a reason that trans is used in possibly more vehicles than any other trans.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If a manual transmission isn't available, I have to have either a Slap Stick or Paddles. I want to be able to hold gears when I deem necessary.

Almost everybody can drive; a lot of those, not very well. But a real Driver will notice things like Sly did.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
that went away on mine after the 9 drive. i have the 3.92 posi and on wet roads turning a corner you understand why that delay is there. i grew up driving performance vehicles so i know what im doing but the every day driver does not that’s who the delay is for.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Keeps people from going in circles leaving intersections. Wonder if it is more sensitive if the truck came with limited slip ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last thing you want the transmission to do,for the average driver is make a 1-2 shift 1/2 way through a corner on an icy road,instant tire spin,followed up by an out of control truck sliding into something,because the back tires broke free on the shift.

OP
OP
Sly Dvl

Sly Dvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that went away on mine after the 9 drive. i have the 3.92 posi and on wet roads turning a corner you understand why that delay is there. i grew up driving performance vehicles so i know what im doing but the every day driver does not that’s who the delay is for.
The 9 drive?

OP
OP
Sly Dvl

Sly Dvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keeps people from going in circles leaving intersections. Wonder if it is more sensitive if the truck came with limited slip ?
That's a great question, and a possibility. I have the LSD so I wonder igf that's why i sense the dely while some others don't. Would make sense that a posi would be more likely to cause a spin-out if it shifts and breaks traction. My friend just bought a nearly identical truck to mine, but without the LSD option, and I don't sense the delay. Interesting observation Daw14...

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I DO know that Dodge had issues when turning right and punching gas that they would snap the power steering pump shaft... I KNOW from experience and research..... maybe that's part of what they're after in correction....*shrugs*

OP
OP
Sly Dvl

Sly Dvl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I DO know that Dodge had issues when turning right and punching gas that they would snap the power steering pump shaft... I KNOW from experience and research..... maybe that's part of what they're after in correction....*shrugs*
P/S pump? Aren't the 4th gens all electric p/steering? I know my '14 is.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Only 13 or 14 and up have electric steering. I forget if it came with the front end and interior refresh or the 8spd.

That's an interesting theory with the right turn throttle...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Only 13 or 14 and up have electric steering. I forget if it came with the front end and interior refresh or the 8spd.
The electric power steering, ZF 8spd and mid-generation update (facelift) all came with the '13 model year.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It was on the 3.6L V6 in '13, it was an option on the Hemi in '14
It was a MY 13 option on the higher trim level 5.7 trucks,and the very rare 2013 HFE trucks with the 5.7 came with the 8 speed. All the literature on the 13 HFE trucks shows them as a 3.6 truck,but Ma Mopar made a few of the early HFE's with a 5.7 / 8 speed, i looked at one on a dealers lot in the spring of 13,and there was a guy over on the other Ramforum that had one,they are very rare,but they did build a few 5.7/8 speed HFE's in 2013.

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
2014 1500 4WD - I'm sure other 5.7 8HP70 (8-speed) owners have noticed this as well; the transmission delays the 1-2 or 2-3 shift points slightly when the steering wheel is off center. For example, when making a left through an intersection after a full stop, or a right from a stop sign. I know it's not a problem, but I'm curious why this delay would be programmed into the PCM. What were the Engineers trying to achieve? I would have thought an earlier shift would have kept the torque down if they were trying to reduce the chance of wheel slippage while accelerating through a corner. Typical me just trying to analyze the Engineer's logic...

Thoughts?
I had a 2013 Laramie with the ZF 8-speed and never noticed what Green Diesel Engineering calls as "shift schedule offset based on steering wheel angle". This is one of the annoyances that GDE removes in its transmission tuning, at least in my 2022.

When I took delivery of my 2022, I really noticed the shift schedule offset based on steering wheel angle. It was very noticeable. In my 2013, I never noticed this and I don't know if it was even present on the 2013. The reason for it is, well, it doesn't make sense. My best guess is they are either trying to save the front tires or it is a method to help improve fuel economy.