8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckNut

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 Mini Cooper (manual 6 speed) is the errand runner and gets 37-40mpg. Ram averages 18-19 in the driving I do and that is just fine with me.

OP
OP
C

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your not using any gas when it's down shifting going down hill. Your green eco light will be on. That's not going to mess with your mpg at all unless your wanting to go faster down the hill. The biggest thing that is going to hurt mpg is your right foot.

it may not be much but an engine turning 1500 rpm will most certainly use less fuel than an engine turning 3000 rpm just sayin. Again not a big deal it is what it is

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't know how you figured that. But the engine may be turning over but it's not burning gas. Like your thinking. You need to go back and rethink that.There is a huge difference between the truck running down the road at 3000 and it going down hill with your foot off the gas running 3000 rpm. the drive train is turning those rpm going down hill. So again it doesn't effect your mileage.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 does this as well and it came in real handy today heading back from camping down some steep grades. Kept me from abusing the brakes.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 14 does this as well and it came in real handy today heading back from camping down some steep grades. Kept me from abusing the brakes.

That's what it is for. That's one of my favorite features.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I checked mine on 2 trips now..I've got nothing, mine doesn't do this. Is there a setting you have to push?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No setting just tap the brake and let

off of the gas. As your breaking it should down shift for you. I see you have a tuner,I don't know if that would effect it or not.

ZCR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is from Allpar -

"Interactive Deceleration Fuel Shut Off (iDFSO) cuts fuel to the engine during deceleration, improving fuel economy in both city and highway driving. The system does take getting used to, as the valves close when it is active, so the engine suddenly “drags.”".

The transmission keeps the torque converter locked to keep the engine spinning and will downshift if the engine speed falls below set parameters all without using a drop of gas.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi zavaral,

I notice mine downshifts while braking. But i couldn't tell you about the decent from a mountian. ( no mountians in oklahoma.) just highway exits. Lol.

Go to Green Country or Kiamichi Country you will find plenty of mountains the Ozarks are in Tahlequah.

Have a great day.

preachp

zavaral

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi zavaral,

Go to Green Country or Kiamichi Country you will find plenty of mountains the Ozarks are in Tahlequah.

Have a great day.

preachp
Maybe i should clearify. No mountains in OKC. Lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk