85mm Throttle Body??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice. I'm considering a BBK 85mm TB. My current setup is the KN 57 FIPK intake, Magnaflow muffler, resonator delete and a pedal commander. Other than that, everything else is stock. Has anyone done this upgrade to a hemi with a stock tune or know anyone who has? I know getting a tuner will help, but i'm a little apprehensive to get one. I've read that some people have had their PCM's get bricked from using a tuner and I don't really want to take a chance. I know the stock TB is 80mm, so i'm assuming bumping up to the 85mm will bump power a bit. Am I crazy or should I give it a go?
Thanks!
-Hayden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some advice. I'm considering a BBK 85mm TB. My current setup is the KN 57 FIPK intake, Magnaflow muffler, resonator delete and a pedal commander. Other than that, everything else is stock. Has anyone done this upgrade to a hemi with a stock tune or know anyone who has? I know getting a tuner will help, but i'm a little apprehensive to get one. I've read that some people have had their PCM's get bricked from using a tuner and I don't really want to take a chance. I know the stock TB is 80mm, so i'm assuming bumping up to the 85mm will bump power a bit. Am I crazy or should I give it a go?
Thanks!
-Hayden
I am no expert, but I pretty much have the same setup as you and after reading my conclusion was without going with long tubes there was no sense in going larger on the TB.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I figured. I eventually want to do headers but long tubes are so damn expensive! I think i might save myself some cash and hold off for now. Thank you for the reply man!

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I thought about doing the 85 but used the cash to get a Superchips Flashpaq tuner instead.
Besides the 93octane tune, I set MDS to off, changed tire size, raised limiter on rpm & speed.
I think I got more bang for the buck with a tuner.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey guys,
Thanks!
-Hayden

If you're 14 has the 8 speed,don't even bother with a Diablo tuner,as there's a good chance it won't be able to tune your 8 speed,find a tuner who deals with HP tuning,it's a far superior tuning platform then Diablo's CMR platform,and will allow your tuner to tune your 8 speed.Only Diablo has the rep of bricking PCM's,as far as i know,i've never heard of anybody having an issue with HP tuning bricking a PCM.BTW you're 14 doesn't need an unlocked PCM ,that didn't start till the 15 model year.

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry I forgot to mention, yeah I do have the 8 speed and I’ve seen the Diablo tuners can cause the issues. I’ll take a look at the HP tuners, I never thought about them. My brother used a diablosport on his 07 charger so thats the brand we’re used to. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sorry I forgot to mention, yeah I do have the 8 speed and I’ve seen the Diablo tuners can cause the issues. I’ll take a look at the HP tuners, I never thought about them. My brother used a diablosport on his 07 charger so thats the brand we’re used to. Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out Ryan Hogan of Flying Ryan Performance (FRP tuning) he has a pretty decent rep of tuning with HP,the other 2 tuners you'll here mentioned are more geared towards Diablo tuning,although Jay will tune with HP these days,but he's cutting back his hours alot.

MurderHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever has my FBO 2.9 Whipple Ram 1500 dialed in with Diablo. Will see how the transmission acts with the new power. Worked flawless when the truck was FBO N/A.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hemifever has my FBO 2.9 Whipple Ram 1500 dialed in with Diablo. Will see how the transmission acts with the new power. Worked flawless when the truck was FBO N/A.

The OP has a 14 with the 8 speed,good chance it won't be tranny tunable using Diablo.The 13's and 14's with the 8 speed don't have much success with a Diablo tranny tune.You're 17 is tranny tunable via Diablo,but not so much the 13's and 14's.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
this is the first I've read of the Diablo and the transmission. I have an I2 tune on my '16 sport. I had to have the PCM unlocked to apply the tune but no other issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
this is the first I've read of the Diablo and the transmission. I have an I2 tune on my '16 sport. I had to have the PCM unlocked to apply the tune but no other issues.

You must have been living under a rock the last few years,lol.It's pretty common knowledge it'll be hit or miss on being able to tune the early 8 speeds in the 13's and 14's with Diablo's CMR program,and it's more miss then hit.HP has successfully figured out the earlier 8 speeds,but Diablo i think has pretty well given up on them.There's a few guys running a stacked HP tranny tune and Diablo engine tune on their 14's,as they'd already had a custom Diablo engine tune,but had to stack an HP tune onto it so they could tune the tranny

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kind of a double edged sword with the 13 & 14s, no locked PCM but the 8 speed tuning is hit or miss....

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
You must have been living under a rock the last few years,lol.It's pretty common knowledge it'll be hit or miss on being able to tune the early 8 speeds in the 13's and 14's with Diablo's CMR program,and it's more miss then hit.HP has successfully figured out the earlier 8 speeds,but Diablo i think has pretty well given up on them.There's a few guys running a stacked HP tranny tune and Diablo engine tune on their 14's,as they'd already had a custom Diablo engine tune,but had to stack an HP tune onto it so they could tune the tranny

I guess since I have a '16, I was under a newer rock than others.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Kind of a double edged sword with the 13 & 14s, no locked PCM but the 8 speed tuning is hit or miss....

It's not hit or miss,you just have to step up to the HP tuning platform,which is superior to Diablo's platform anyways.HP has access to alot more tuning parameters then Diablo does

Snowblind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 14 Jay couldn't tune the trans with Diablo. He did make it sound like some are tunable with it however.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On my 14 Jay couldn't tune the trans with Diablo. He did make it sound like some are tunable with it however.

Supposedly the ones with a build date of Sept 2014 or later ,are trans tunable with Diablo,that's what i've heard through the grapevine,so don't quote me on that,as that's a facebook rumour,lol.The only 2014's i've ever seen with a build date Sept 2014 or later all seem to be the Mexico built regular cab shortboxes,not saying the other cab configurations don't have a Sept or later build date,just that i've never seen one

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
No issues with i3 tuning my ‘14 8hp :33:

Have a potent unicorn however, Jay has had to add more fuel to all of my bolt ons. Could be the dense air up Nort’ here in God’s country.

definitely stay away from anything but a P&P OEM throttle body at the bolt on level...

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's not hit or miss,you just have to step up to the HP tuning platform,which is superior to Diablo's platform anyways.HP has access to alot more tuning parameters then Diablo does

Thats what I meant, using Diablo....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No issues with i3 tuning my ‘14 8hp :33:

Have a potent unicorn however, Jay has had to add more fuel to all of my bolt ons. Could be the dense air up Nort’ here in God’s country.

definitely stay away from anything but a P&P OEM throttle body at the bolt on level...

What's the build date on your 14 Tim,it'll be on the door.Hell you're still south of me if you're at Eagle River,lol