8speed shift issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuckiestMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a sample of accelerating to 50MPH. Engine RPM is smooth, you can see the shifts occur. Reaching 450mA for the TCC current but oscillating with steady throttle input and steady system voltage. It looks like it may be expecting something to happen and then it doesn't but it keeps trying to do whatever it is on a loop.

Attachments

• Accel to 50.JPG
    Accel to 50.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 11

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Here is a sample of accelerating to 50MPH. Engine RPM is smooth, you can see the shifts occur. Reaching 450mA for the TCC current but oscillating with steady throttle input and steady system voltage. It looks like it may be expecting something to happen and then it doesn't but it keeps trying to do whatever it is on a loop.
You might want to hunt up a couple of the better 8 speed tuners on facebook,they aren't on here.Jeremy Satera /Charles Barrett are the first 2 that come to mind,there's more but those 2 are good ones to start with.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For you guys with Paddles, is it possible to “teach” your transmission by holding gears longer?

If you held the gear longer, got a little more RPM, would it shift faster without the flare?

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I hadn't thought about the torque converter being the issue. I just read the other day that going from MDS to full power under normal operation unlocks the torque converter for a second to smooth out the transition. From my experience, my truck locks the converter around 3rd or 4th gear so this could be some weird converter tuning or operation.

LuckiestMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hadn't thought about the torque converter being the issue. I just read the other day that going from MDS to full power under normal operation unlocks the torque converter for a second to smooth out the transition. From my experience, my truck locks the converter around 3rd or 4th gear so this could be some weird converter tuning or operation.
2 things
Any chance you can snag a file using my channel list? I'd love to have comparable data sets. Second thing... I found a TSB that identifies the codes I have cleared(U1424). Finding that this code was for implausible torque I did further digging and lined up my Driver Demand (Trq) Actual (Trq) and Estimated (Trq) channels... seems to be a 100 ft/lb delta. Demand and Actual track @118~ but Estimated in a steady state event is at 216. You can see in the shot below. Seems we get stuck in a bad logic loop as our parts wear. The adaptives were probably great with minimal wear and the math worked.
ExpectedVSActual_Delta.JPG
Let me know if you want to collaborate on this at all.Here is the latest TSB I can find related to our issue. I checked my PCM and I have 68153923AC and this should bring it up to the 68153923AK version.FlashVersion.JPGFlashVersionTCM.JPG

Attachments

• 18-021-17.pdf
    37.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Woodgrain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a little update, I replaced a couple snapped bolts on the passenger side manifold as I knew it was leaking for quite some time now...now trans shifts like it was new from factory. Coincidence? Since the repair I have put on roughly 2000 miles...shifts like a dream.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
2 things
Any chance you can snag a file using my channel list? I'd love to have comparable data sets. Second thing... I found a TSB that identifies the codes I have cleared(U1424). Finding that this code was for implausible torque I did further digging and lined up my Driver Demand (Trq) Actual (Trq) and Estimated (Trq) channels... seems to be a 100 ft/lb delta. Demand and Actual track @118~ but Estimated in a steady state event is at 216. You can see in the shot below. Seems we get stuck in a bad logic loop as our parts wear. The adaptives were probably great with minimal wear and the math worked.
View attachment 488023
Let me know if you want to collaborate on this at all.Here is the latest TSB I can find related to our issue. I checked my PCM and I have 68153923AC and this should bring it up to the 68153923AK version.View attachment 488032View attachment 488033