95 ram 1500 5.9 Stumble/popping with throttle once warmed up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MechanicalDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum (408 Stroker)
Truck runs great on a cold start and drive, as soon as I drive the truck for 10-15min it begins to pop and lose power. 95 ram - YouTube

408 stroker motor
The following parts are new: fuel pump (45psi), injectors, spark plugs and wires, IAC, Map sensor, TPS, Air Intake Sensor, 02 Sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, rotor and cap, ignition coil

Truck currently is running using a Mopar performance ecm and has a MSD 6AL box. I am looking into the FAST multiport efi system, but I would like to figure out this issue before I start trying to get more out of it. I am going to try and change out the coolant temp sensor next and see if this helps.

Does anyone have any ideas to what this could be? Or maybe what I should look at?

OP
OP
MechanicalDiesel

MechanicalDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum (408 Stroker)
Also the truck just has long tube headers and mufflers, no cat.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried it without the MSD hooked up?

OP
OP
MechanicalDiesel

MechanicalDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum (408 Stroker)
Have you tried it without the MSD hooked up?

I will have to give that a try this weekend, could the MSD be failing only once the truck has been driven a bit and warmed up every time? I feel like the MSD box would fail right away

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anything is possible, it sounds like a spark or timing issue in the video to me. Is it possible that you have wires 5 & 7 swapped?

What is your sync set at and is it steady at all rpms?

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Know the issue like my toolbox.... front O2. Once it goes into heat/ lean, you’re not getting a ground signal to the ECM. I had shorts, trans plug bundle issues etc. anything that stops that upstream o2 sensor is a sad affair. Most upstream o2 sensors are junk. You need to be extremely gentle installing. They have glass in them. If it’s been removed and reused, replace it. You’ll also get a map and tps high voltage. I use the older snap on scanner. It’s a bad ecm ground signal or o2. Let me know what you find.

Rob85

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Is this the same sound ?