96 dodge ram 1500 60 mph 2500 rpm? OD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ram1500me

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Hello this is my first post. Problems in the title. Just getting really crappy gas mileage. Let's start by saying I'm running 285 75 16s on stock 3.55 gears. So I'm not sure if this is a transmission issue. I bought the truck last winter as a unrunning vehicle. Fixed it up. Through some tires on it. Flushed all the fluids. Etc. now while I was changing the fluid and filter on the transmission everything has play both the solonoids (if that's what's there called) and both of the servo arms? Also there was a solid inch of metallic mush around the magnetic filter was clogged fluid was black. After the new fluid and filter she shifted perfect better and better the more I run her. She did however start feeling like she was going to stall when down shifting or braking. Almost like she doesn't want to dissenguage first gear. First gear seems a little rough. Reverse use to wine before the new fluid and filter she was also very sluggish. I think she shifts into fourth 2nd third are hard shifts and fourth is very light. My OD light/switch doesn't work or light up. Buttons broken. The only other thing I can think to mention is while driving no matter what speed if I let off the gas the rpms drop right down to bellow 1 (idle). In my other vehicles it stays up depending on the gear. Think I should of mentioned this before but it's a 46re thanks for any help guys.

ParrotHead FA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
At 60 mph your rpm's should be in the 1500-1750 range with your overdrive on. So I would say your overdrive is not working, this would definitely affect your mileage too, as the unnecessarily high rpm's will cause you to burn extra fuel. I have a '98 1500, with 265-75-16 mud traction tires, and my rpms are in the 2500 range around 85 mph give or take. I'd get your overdrive checked out. If the switch is broken, it could just be an electrical issue. I'd check that first.
Dave