99 RAM 1500 5.2 complete loss of power, popping popcorn sound when gassed, whooshing noise too. Please help about to lose my job!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gentrydodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
99 ram 1500 standard cab 5.2 L engine, a couple of weeks ago the fuel pump went out, I stalled out at a stoplight and got it pushed over, swapped out the fuel pump with a new one. About a week later I was going down the road and out of nowhere I experienced a complete loss of power, every time I would press the gas it would bog the engine down and make a whooshing noise. Sounded like it could’ve been some type of vacuum leak. There’s also another sound when I try to rev the engine, it sounds like popcorn popping in my throttlebody. I cannot go over 2000 RPM. I’ve replaced both O2 sensors, MaP sensor, Idle control sensor, I even cut in front of my catalytic converter all the way through to see if it was clogged. Put a new distributor cap on, still doing the exact same thing. I don’t know what else to try from here, please help!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Checked the intake belly pan? Pop the throttle open and look down. If you can see the gasket coming in then it’s failed. Or if the whole thing is super coated in oil. Mine failed in 2 spots and started bogging and smoking from oil consumption. Had to replace the o2 sensors after as well since they got burned out. Also, make sure you use nkg o2 sensors or factory o2 sensors or you may run into the computer being unhappy about them. Popcorn popping could be backfire from bad vacuum mixed with timing being thrown off.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like it is running very lean - not enough fuel.

I had a similar problem years ago with a 1979 Buick. New fuel pump did not help, nor did a filter (you should try that if you haven't).

I asked the dealer mechanic if he thought the problem could be the 'sock' in the fuel tank. It is a mesh filter at the end of the pick up tube. He said no way, they never fail.

I wound up dropping the gas tank (much easier if it is almost empty), taking the pickup out. This engine had a carb, no fuel injection, so there was a low pressure fuel pump on the side of the motor. With fuel injection, the fuel pump is in the tank, comes out through the top.

I washed the sock with lacquer thinner. Got lots of brown gunk off it. Put it back together, ran it for years with no more issues.

OP
OP
Gentrydodd

Gentrydodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I’m going to drop my tank and see if my buddy installed the fuel pump incorrectly or pinched/kinked a line. Also gonna check for the “sock” filter to clean as well. Also going to take throttle body off and check down inside for visible gasket while replacing my sensors with factory. I’ll keep updates as I go along. Here’s by ol girl too, she’s my favorite work truck I’ve had.

Attachments

• A93060D6-444D-4D30-84F1-D10A11917513.jpeg
    A93060D6-444D-4D30-84F1-D10A11917513.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 5

Mike68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm going through almost the same thing (even the low wash light).
Mine chugs and snorts only in morning when cold, for about three minutes.
Then its like something clicks and it cleans up and runs fine.
then I shut it off and clear the (02 rich on bank one) code, and go about my day.
the next morning, same thing. (02 rich on bank one)
i've replaced the cat, both o2 sensors, idle control valve, wires, cap, temp sensor, fuel injectors, fuel pump replaced a year ago.
Mines a 2001 360 v8 with only about 2500 miles on a rebuild.
the new 02 sensors made it a lot better, now its just when its cold.
what was interesting to me, is that it took about 30 miles for the computer to adjust itself on the new o2 sensors.
I hope you have better luck getting help then I have on here, literally zero reply's for ideas.
I was told today about another forum that may be better, but I just came on here to see if anyone replied..... nope.
Good luck

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am not a mechanic, but

When i change a rotor, i change points & cap
From what i have read, Dodges have something else either in or on the distributor, a Cam or Crank something

OP
OP
Gentrydodd

Gentrydodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I am not a mechanic, but

When i change a rotor, i change points & cap
From what i have read, Dodges have something else either in or on the distributor, a Cam or Crank something
I’m not sure I’ll have to google it