99 ram 1500 PU stalling then no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, Pretty new here and to Ram. Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago my 99 started stalling and became undriveable for the day so I left it at work. Later that night I started it up and let in warm up so a co-worker could possibly follow me home in case it acted up again. After warming up for about 15 minutes sure enough stalled and was barely able to get it back to a parking space. I left it until Saturday and managed to drive it home. I let it idle in driveway and it died again. i got out the code reader and got p0138, p0720 and p1391(chrysler code) P1391 is intermittent loss of CMP or CKP. I changed out the cam sensor( pickup inside disty) and exact same results as before. I picked up a crankshaft sensor and after lots of swearing and blood got it installed. After this no start at all. This was a cheapy made in China so figured bad out of box. I went on to Rock Auto and grabbed Crank sensor made by Delphi(unfortunately also China), installed still no start(the Delphi was a favorite on the site btw). After this I read up some more and saw recommendations to buy the Mopar part. Is this part really THAT sensitive that it must be the Mopar? Also, working on this as you most likely know is mostly by feel so wondering if there is a connection back there I could have knocked loose to cause this no start. Any reply appreciated and thanks in advance.

Dan

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The crank sensor is a very sensitive, critical part. I have pulled Borg Warner sensors fresh out of the box, installed them, and found I still had a no-start condition.

Now, with your no-start, have you verified that you have ignition spark at the coil or not?

Have you verified fuel pressure at the rail?

There isn't anything at the rear of the engine that you could have knocked loose that would cause a no-start. As long as you have properly connected the crank sensor and the pickup coil inside the distributor those should be okay connection wise.

OP
OP
C

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fast69Mopar,

Thank you for the reply. I have not verified spark and fuel pressure but will today. Also, since the truck would start and run for a while with the original crank sensor I am going to reinstall it and see if the truck will start. I have feeling I'll be sending the 2 made in China units back. I've r&r'd this sensor so many times now I can do it fairly quickly and with minimal bloodshed.... after the 1st time I looked like I tried to suicide myself.

OP
OP
C

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello again,

Before checking fuel pressure and spark decided to reinstall the original crank sensor and then if no go proceed to those other tests. Well, putting in the original got the truck started up and has been running for a while. I did just rub some of the rust off surface of the pickup but did not sandpaper or anything. I did take a pic of the face of the original vs. the Delphi part... big difference in appearance. I will post the pic later when I get a chance. Gonna order the Mopar sensor and send these other 2 p.o.s. back.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello again,

Before checking fuel pressure and spark decided to reinstall the original crank sensor and then if no go proceed to those other tests. Well, putting in the original got the truck started up and has been running for a while. I did just rub some of the rust off surface of the pickup but did not sandpaper or anything. I did take a pic of the face of the original vs. the Delphi part... big difference in appearance. I will post the pic later when I get a chance. Gonna order the Mopar sensor and send these other 2 p.o.s. back.
Sounds good. I have found that the Mopar sensor can be a bit different in design to several of the aftermarket sensors.

OP
OP
C

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a side by side(hopefully) of the original Mopar vs. replacement Delphi

crank sensor compare.jpg

Delphi on left(bottom) solid plastic body. Original has breather holes(?) and exposed metal pickup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure they are same length but not 100% positive. I will check this when I remove the original again.... prob a couple of days, we have rain on the way.

OP
OP
C

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I received my Mopar crank sensor late Saturday too late to install. Yes, side by side with the Delphi unit they are both the same length. The new Mopar looks just like the original with the breather holes and exposed pickups. On the negative side, this one is hecho en Mexico.

OP
OP
C

cxf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Little further followup. All is well with the Mopar sensor. Truck starts and runs really well. I returned the Delphi part to Rockauto and was notified this morning that I have credit on my acct for the full price paid including the shipping charge. I could have requested a refund to my debit card instead but I order from these guys quite often so went with the credit. Thanks again Fast69 for your help.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
oh my. I did get a ultra power rank sensor from rock auto. installed it and it started fine after a no Start with the old one. I ran it a couple short runs and it seemed fine.

until I made a trip to the store about 5 MI away. when I come out I try to start it fires but quits semi-quickly.

I can't imagine this is the problem. the Chinese can copy electronics perfectly I would think.

well, I'm sitting here waiting to see if it starts after I let everything cool down.

Meanwhile, I'm going to check to this site here and see what fixes worked for the same problem of start then cutting off.

RR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990