A.C. compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spottedsquirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all! I have a 01 Ram 1500 5.9. The issue I'm havin is the a.c. compressor stays on all the time no matter where the a.c. controls are set at.. I've never ran into an issue like this. I've recently purchased this truck few months ago and weedin out all the bugs from previous owners. Truck runs great! A.C. does work although needs a charge. Heat could be better, may get hotter once I figure out if it actually has a thermostat in it.. I'm leanin towards that it don't have one in it. Anyhow, any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, put in/replace thermostat and insure proper coolant mix.

Now, on AC, the older GM ones used to have an electric thermostatic coupler that plugged into the top of the AC Compressor. Usually they would go bad, and U had to replace. That being said, I have no idea what type of fusing on an 01 Dodge, just saying and thinking out loud... Sorry, not much help

Shellkamp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
Pull the compressor relay and if it still stays engaged, verify you're not getting voltage directly at the compressor somehow. If it's still running, then it would likely be that the clutch is stuck.

You can replace just the clutch on these if need be.