A/c stop working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy connelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
57 hemi
My 2014 ram Laramie, I would be driving along with ac on ,then every now and then it stops, don't come on until I hit a bump and open and slam door ,then it will start, had it back to dealer they couldn't duplicate the problem, so it no fix, and it hit and miss problem, any ideas? Guy C

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

Does the A/C turn on and off with bumps, i.e., totally power down, no fan, lights on dash panel out out, etc...?

If not, and I'm only guessing here but, I suspect it might be the HVAC system blend door is broken. A bump might be able to open or close it. When

OP
OP
G

Guy connelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
57 hemi
Ac shuts right down, no fan, lights on dash r on, could be like that for 5min..> unless I hit big bump or lam door, I was thinking maybe e.d.m.? Thoughts

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Ac shuts right down, no fan, lights on dash r on, could be like that for 5min..> unless I hit big bump or lam door, I was thinking maybe e.d.m.? Thoughts
I was too thinking blend door, but you said everything shuts down. I'm thinking it's a loose connection somewhere. What sucks is our ac are so complicated with tons of parts.

Check all fuses
Remove the under dash cover, like you're gonna l look at the blend door. Then check all electric connections.

While my suggestions are not any huge revelation... I'm going back to you saying it comes on when you slam the door. Loose connection...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said above, slamming the door must jar something in the dash. There's no A/C wiring in the door flex that I'm aware of. Could be a loose connection associated with the HVAC controls, fuse box under the dash, etc. This is a tough one, but at least it sounds like none of the components have failed or no refrigerant leaks, etc.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Like said above, slamming the door must jar something in the dash. There's no A/C wiring in the door flex that I'm aware of. Could be a loose connection associated with the HVAC controls, fuse box under the dash, etc. This is a tough one, but at least it sounds like none of the components have failed or no refrigerant leaks, etc.
The door is moving the dash... Either loose fuse or under dash connection. I doubt anything further than the driver side ac connections parts. Yet, I work on multi million dollar fighter jets... Who knew they break all the time.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an issue like that a couple of weeks back. Ended up being the wiring harness at my compressor

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am experiencing a similar issue w my 2013, the fan will stop working, hit a bump and it comes back on. It has progressively gotten worse, to the point it will start and stop while sitting still.
The dealer has replaced the blower/fan motor, and I have replaced the resistor, and the problem still persists.
It is going into the the ram dealer this Friday again

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

I am experiencing a similar issue w my 2013, the fan will stop working, hit a bump and it comes back on. It has progressively gotten worse, to the point it will start and stop while sitting still.
The dealer has replaced the blower/fan motor, and I have replaced the resistor, and the problem still persists.
It is going into the the ram dealer this Friday again

I apologize for the trouble, @Guy connelly & @Rotzilla. Please know that we are just a private message away and more than happy to provide you with further support as you address this with your dealers.

Mark
RamCares

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an issue like that a couple of weeks back. Ended up being the wiring harness at my compressor

Same, exact same issue and it was the wiring at the compressor. Apparently the connector broke and caused the wiring to degrade. Search my previous posts about it, I list a part number and how much it cost me to fix it at my dealer.

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same, exact same issue and it was the wiring at the compressor. Apparently the connector broke and caused the wiring to degrade. Search my previous posts about it, I list a part number and how much it cost me to fix it at my dealer.
My shop said the wiring harness was $240 and would take 2 weeks to come in. I live in Southern Louisiana..... No A/C for 2 weeks Frick that. They bypassed the connector and hard wired it to the compressor for $90.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
My shop said the wiring harness was $240 and would take 2 weeks to come in. I live in Southern Louisiana..... No A/C for 2 weeks Frick that. They bypassed the connector and hard wired it to the compressor for $90.

It's now time for 2 W 90. Two windows down and 90 miles an hour... That's way old school air conditioning...

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's now time for 2 W 90. Two windows down and 90 miles an hour... That's way old school air conditioning...
That's how I rolled growing up in AZ. Not in the swamp though. Haha

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the connector was pretty expensive and difficult to find. They had to get the part overnighted from another dealer. I drove my Jeep XJ w/o AC for a few days here in FL and it was no fun at all.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
While driving mine today the a/c worked for approximately 30 mins then started acting up..
It had rained so I eventually turned off the a/c and was running just the fan and heat at one point and the blower motor never once stopped working, leading me further to believe its tied to the a/c somehow.

Thanks for everyones input.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I remember cars in the '60s had the triangular vent window and a vent under the dash that opened with a lever or cable that both gave a ton of air when you were moving.

KeepRight

ExFalconFxr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
While driving mine today the a/c worked for approximately 30 mins then started acting up..
It had rained so I eventually turned off the a/c and was running just the fan and heat at one point and the blower motor never once stopped working, leading me further to believe its tied to the a/c somehow.

Thanks for everyones input.
Prob bad a/c Compressor... If you only lost cooling, but the fan was still going... compressor. The mech will prob sell you a accumulator along with the compressor. Your call, but it's wise to replace both.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Dealer had it most of the day and could get it to stop working only once! It stopped working 4 times on the way home for me, and by the time they moved the truck to the technician It was blowing air again.
Dealer claims there was a new stored message stating something lost connection to blower mtr??
the blower mtr and resistor have already been replaced.
Dealer suggests I replace the hvac control unit on the dash, $700
Im not totally sold on this, not sure they r either.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I was at a dealership in Texas and asked them if they had experienced any similar issues w/ rams, they told me to check under the fuse box where the wiring harness attaches to the fuse block, the connector that the fan fuse plugs into have been getting hot, melting, and causing a lose in connection that was intermittent.
When I got home I pulled the cover off the box, unclipped the 4 tabs that holds the fuse block in place, lifted it up until I could see the wiring harness connectors, and got cold feet.
I had to take an extended trip in the next few days, so I was afraid I would screw something up so I did not unclip the wiring harness.
However when I was putting the fuse block back in I was pressing down on it to reattach it and I pressed on the actual fuse ( im not sure if it is a fuse or called something else) it was in the spot marked on the lid as (fan) and I was able to press it into its holes a little further, as if it was slightly pulled out, and it clicked. I didn't think much of it until I went on a 2400 mi trip, it has not quit working since.
sorry this is so long, In Short, push down on your fuse and see if it is loose or causes a connection issue.