A new RAM owners thoughts after 1 day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
My last 4 trucks have been Ford and two of them F-350 so I am not new to large trucks. Picked up my new 2020 RAM 3500 HO Limited out of state in Caldwell ID so I had 430 miles right of the bat to get acquainted with my new purchase. Overall its a very nice looking truck, sitting it in you sit a tad higher then my last truck. The 12 inch screen is unbelievable, I love all of the features it has and the ease of finding things. Yes there is definitely a learning curve as to where things are. I will be customizing some features to my likes today. The inside is beautiful, the driver seat is pretty comfortable after a 6 hour drive. While waiting for paperwork and for them to bring over the accessories that I ordered I looked through the truck. I wish the rear seats flipped forward so I could store things behind them and also when I picked up the base seat to look at the storage area I was not happy at all to see that 2/3 of the rear area was filed with a sub. Dont get me wrong the stereo sounds great and is plenty loud but losing valuable storage is not good. There is very good vision and no real distracting pillars that are in the way. I am not a fan of the mirrors due to the outer split piece that is for the convex mirror. I feel its distracting, I have always added convex mirrors to all of my trucks as I do like them. I hope I get used to them. I like the automatic running boards as they seem to work plenty fast. The tires were way to full, while scrolling through the cluster I came upon the TPM and the tires were between 85 and 92 psi. I had been driving for an hour so yes the pressure had raised but that's just to high. I pulled into a little town and bought a tire gauge and lowered them to 70 and that felt much better and drove better. I will work with them to get it where I am happy. The overall ride was very good after that. I dont tow much at all but I am looking forward to feeling the power of the 6.7 HO as there was plenty of power while going over the blue mountains. Walking around it this morning I am very pleased with my purchase.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Welcome. Need some pics.

That is a lot of truck for someone who doesn't tow often. When you do it should impress.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The mirrors are great but I agree, they do take a little getting used to. I came from a 2007 Ram with simple mirrors. These are great trucks. Enjoy.

Red

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Good looking rig tho!!!

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I sat in one while my wife was doing paperwork for her 2019 durango. Those 5th gens are crazy with the bells and whistles. If i could stuff the 5th gen interior into a 4th gen i would get buried with it

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking truck! Welcome!

A guy I used to work with always had a Ram 3500 Dually for snow plowing, and when he purchased his last one it didn't come with the 12" screen so he installed one himself, and I don't think he ever really got it right. Those 3500's are beasts though.

Doug Paper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Just got my 3500 ram dually with the intention of purchasing a large 5th wheel. that plan went out the window now looking at a class a. I love the truck none the less, ride quietly although firm and if i ever need it i got it but feel safe driving a tank amongst what look like matchbox and hot wheels on the road.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking truck! The Granite is my favorite also. I agree on the loss of storage due to the sub. Been going to look at it and see if anything can be done to regain that space without totally destroying the audio. As far as the mirrors it took me a few days to get used to them. They were very distracting at first as the concave portion was not where I was used to. Once I adjusted to them and learned where to focus I don;t give them a second thought. Enjoy your new truck.

Richg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Welcome! Nice truck!

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
That's a nice truck for sure! My last truck was Granite Crystal and it always looks good and hides the dirt on the road trips.
I'm curious, what brought you from the F350 to a Ram?

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My vote would be common sense and getting wiser with age!

We’ve all owned a Ford in our lifetime...never to make that mistake again.

And thrilled to hear you’re getting along so well with your new Ram. They are a gem in a sea of trucks.

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
That's a nice truck for sure! My last truck was Granite Crystal and it always looks good and hides the dirt on the road trips.
I'm curious, what brought you from the F350 to a Ram?

NH Ram, the engine and trans mainly brought me over. The 12" screen was also a big draw as I love electronics. The Cummins 6.7 HO with 1000 ft pounds of torque is a true motor that also has proven long term reliability. I would love to have an Allison trans but the AISIN is the next closest thing. I am now 3 days in and have 478 miles on the truck, I am enjoying it and can't wait to tow something soon.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
My vote would be common sense and getting wiser with age!

We’ve all owned a Ford in our lifetime...never to make that mistake again.

I have never owned a Ford; I've had well over 20 cars / trucks / suv's, but never a Ford. I'm stuck driving one on a daily basis for work though and I'm always happy to get back in the Ram :)