AC Condenser fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mulefeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2009 ram 1500 Larime package. Sometimes the AC blows ice cold other times not. I've checked the freon it's right at 45 pounds which from what I've read is correct. I'm trying to locate the condenser fan and for the life of me I can't. Does a 2009 have one. Is it small and out of the way. I have located the condenser coil in front of the radiator (at least I think I have) but can't find the fan. Help please. Maybe it doesn't have one and something else is wrong with the AC. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
your radiator fan is your condenser fan. an 09 am guessing is R134A, are you sure the compressor was running when the gauge was on the system? on the 2 lines going to the condenser the bigger one (discharge ) should feel hot with the compressor running and the smaller one ( liquid) will be warm but not hot. it sounds like your evap could be icing up which can be caused by being low on refrigerant. did you have a set of gauges on both the low and high side? if so what were the pressure readings, would need those to give an idea of what is happening. one other thing if the evap is icing up it could be caused by being packed with dirt. next time it happens shut off your AC and let the fan just run for about 5 min, then restart AC and see if is cold.

OP
OP
M

Mulefeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is R134a and yes when I checked the Freon pressure the compressor was running. When it's not running it's in the red zone of the gauge. I haven't put a 3 hose set on there where I can see the high and low level. Just got a set this week. I hear what I think is an electric fan running sometimes coming from the engine compartment. What would that be? Thanks

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It is R134a and yes when I checked the Freon pressure the compressor was running. When it's not running it's in the red zone of the gauge. I haven't put a 3 hose set on there where I can see the high and low level. Just got a set this week. I hear what I think is an electric fan running sometimes coming from the engine compartment. What would that be? Thanks
Go to a professional,it’s best not to experiment on ac systems,if you don’t know what you are trying to do.