active Grill shutters temp decrease?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody got numbers on much removing the grill shutters to decreased their oil temp while towing.

There a couple numbers out there like ~10F for unloaded.

IE towing the same route, similar ambient, max oil temp reached.

Please indicate if you did entire removal or left top and bottom shutters so it would still function.

Max i've seen is 108 C. 226F. hardly worth worrying about after reviewing a few temp posts on towing up long grades cracking 250F.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t see much difference with removing the shutters while towing even though I have mine removed also but the clutch fan is needed. I was seeing temps for coolant around 250 when I didn’t have the clutch fan on (shutters removed and efan on at 190) and the stock efan couldn’t keep up.

I do notice cooler temps and less time the efan has to kick on when running around town with shutters out, efan at 200 and clutch fan off.

So for me I always have the shutters out, efan set to 200 and then clutch fan back on only while towing.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Keep in mind these trucks are designed with transmission and engine cooling systems in place for towing its specified loads. Also, understand the lubricating fluids offer their best lubrication at specific temperature ranges.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am pretty sure that if you engage toe/haul mode the shutters stay fully open.