Add Auto start/stop aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Just turn the key to off position and when you have to move again turn it back on, just keep extra starters on hand.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easiset system to install and get going is the start X, here is a link to the web site, just look up your vehicle and they should have it https://remotestartx.com/

That's a cool-looking product but not certain what it has to do with anything in this thread.

The OP is exploring avenues to save mpg and was looking for opinions on utilizing an automatic Start/Stop option for the same.

HydroDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Castrated 4.7
The OP would be better off installing one of these kits:

zrock

Reaction score
Well, when observing the average MPG reading over time, I noticed it really dives when stopped at a light. Otherwise the truck isn't that bad on gas. Now I know that reading is far from perfect but if there was a way to add that option that wasn't prohibitively expensive I wouldn't mind doing so.

Considering the responses I've received, this is likely where my investigation ends.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to Ram ownership as well. Also, I saw that Ford comment earlier. I learned to drive in an F-150 and have owned a few Fords since. I'll pass, I'm quite happy with Ram.
the auto stop would not save you anything in stop start traffic, you still have to give the truck gas to go and get rolling up to speed sitting at a idle uses next to nothing for fuel. Another thing that will outweigh any fuel savings in a veh with the stop start function you will be replacing starters 3-4x as much as a normal veh and some of these veh it is not cheap to do..

Saving 30% in fuel would be interesting to see but highly doubtful, in this day and age the manufacturer's would have put this into place so they could claim they have the best.. Only way to save fuel is watch your tattle tale on the dash and drive accordingly, good tires and up to spec on PSI, and other maintenance items. I can get good fuel econ in the city, when i purchased the truck i drove by the tattle tale until my driving style changed and it became habit.

OP
OP
H

Hopeless Turtle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That 30% reduction is in drag. Drag is about 50% of the fuel efficiency. The manufacturers have to make a truck that appeals to everyone and function in a wide range of situations. If one didn't care about keeping that conventional truck look, there's a lot you can do aerodynamically which could result in a significant increase in efficiency. I intend on running the 1500 thru an aerodynamic simulator and exploring what could be added to improve the drag. The biggest contributor to this goal will probably be a bed topper that doesn't look anything like the conventional boxes commonly employed. I don't care about cargo space 99% of the time so I can sacrifice the space above the bed for better efficiency.

That hybrid conversion is intriguing. I'll probably look closer into that, but I feel like if you've got a v8 in the front and hybrid system is just going to turn into a joke.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I noticed a pretty decent drop in fuel economy by not having my bed cover on at highway speeds. No real difference around town. Easiest thing to do is keep your foot out of it, and get low profile tires since bigger tires have more rolling resistance.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Too early…read this fast and thought he was talking about a remote start. I have a nice setup and was going to say mine, start stop….nope. Can’t stand hearing that when cars stop.