Added ignition toggle switch. With pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I have been talking about adding a switch in the cab to shut my ignition off due to my spare key being stolen. I completed this today. I took the ignition fuse out of the fuse panel and ran wires from it, into the cab.
62d482ea-3ea0-aca6.jpg

I ran it through a boot under the steering column.
62d482ea-3eda-23e3.jpg

62d482ea-3eea-2088.jpg

I then ran it to a simple switch on the left side of the dash.
I didn't get a pic of it, but there is a good inline fuse as well.
It works great. Switch off, there is nothing, no idiot lights, nothing.
62d482ea-402f-9be2.jpg

Switch on and it works like any other truck. I am very happy with it.
I think I am going to look for a plug type switch. The kind where a plug is removed and taken with you or replaced to complete the circuit. That would be an easy change to make and I think it would make it more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
That's in a rather obvious place. If its a toggle for the ignition I'd put in a more hidden location

02blkram47

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just hope who ever stole your key doesn't know you belong to this forum.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I plan on doing something a little better shortly. I really don't think it is needed though. The kids who broke into my house is a 20 year old junkie. He is not going to be doing any problem solving if he gets in the truck and it doesn't start. He is actually in jail for burglary now in the next county over I found out this morning. This is more for my piece of mind than anything.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So instead of the fuse,you just ran wires out of the spot and the just put Otto a switch, sounds pretty easy to me lol, im thinking about putting impossibly under the seat or behind the cup holder area since mine is always open and I can hide it behind my cb, but tha is for the pics, and I hope no one steals your truck!!

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So instead of the fuse,you just ran wires out of the spot and the just put Otto a switch, sounds pretty easy to me lol, im thinking about putting impossibly under the seat or behind the cup holder area since mine is always open and I can hide it behind my cb, but tha is for the pics, and I hope no one steals your truck!!

thats a good idea, right behind that little flap

Uncle Ugly

Reaction score
Not sure I would have done it that way....
Probably would have wired it through a relay and used a toggle to trigger it.
That way the heavy ignition current would have been kept under the hood and all that would have been inside is a light wire for the switch.It also would then give you a relay in place of the fuse you removed.

OP
OP
cwakefld

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I added an inline fuse holder that would hold the same 20 amp fuse that I took out.

chapnutz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not sure I would have done it that way....
Probably would have wired it through a relay and used a toggle to trigger it.
That way the heavy ignition current would have been kept under the hood and all that would have been inside is a light wire for the switch.It also would then give you a relay in place of the fuse you removed.

a relay doesn't act as a fuse, it wont stop a high voltage surge etc...you would still have to use an inline fuse, nothing wrong with the way he did the install, simply 'effective'

I added an inline fuse holder that would hold the same 20 amp fuse that I took out.

it will work fine this way
Lolz

Looks good man, but I agree on moving it somewhere else.

i would have placed it further down, under the dash out of sight

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
i would have bought a new lock cylinder for the ignition so it would be a new key.

enerside

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know this is a couple weeks old, but if you want a plug type switch, you already have that in your cigarette lighter. If you're not a smoker and don't rely on the lighter, you can use that as a switch to trigger a relay that will cut the ignition (or starter wire would be better). If you want to start the truck, then you have to push in the lighter (it doesn't get hot, that is disabled - but can be kept with a little more wiring). If the lighter isn't there, no one can start the truck. When I worked in a stereo shop many years ago, we did this as budget starter kills. $100 for a $2 relay and about 25 mins of work.