Affordable LED headlight upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The company sent them to me for free . There basic canbus decoders for a 2016 ram 1500 for the h11 headlights and different ones for the 9006 fogs .

SPUNKY9198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.1
I installed the kit linked in the first post. I only got the H11 kit. I installed the kit without the PWM'S. I have absolutely zero flickering or problems with them shutting down. I wonder if the manufacturer made a change in the driver that solves the issue. I originally had the opt7 crap installed. I am now absolutely pleased with the output and performance of these.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the kit linked in the first post. I only got the H11 kit. I installed the kit without the PWM'S. I have absolutely zero flickering or problems with them shutting down. I wonder if the manufacturer made a change in the driver that solves the issue. I originally had the opt7 crap installed. I am now absolutely pleased with the output and performance of these.

Nice! I'm glad yours are working out for you. What year is your truck?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SPUNKY9198

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.1
Nice! I'm glad yours are working out for you. What year is your truck?

I have a 2017 bighorn. I did try to use the resistors that came with opt7 set. This caused the lights to flicker and shut down. So I gave it a whirl and removed them. To my surprise they work great without the pwm's.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I installed the Vouke VK-5's with decoders this afternoon. Super white light and seem much brighter. So far, so good but for $62 total, I'm happy to give them a try.

But... I have a ******* move to share!

I used my tailgate as a work table. Had a movers blanket to protect the lenses. No problem with the installation. Drove down the road to see how good these new lights were. I forgot the box with my halogen bulbs where on the tailgate. They are now somewhere on the highway.

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I installed the Vouke VK-5's with decoders this afternoon. Super white light and seem much brighter. So far, so good but for $62 total, I'm happy to give them a try.

But... I have a ******* move to share!

I used my tailgate as a work table. Had a movers blanket to protect the lenses. No problem with the installation. Drove down the road to see how good these new lights were. I forgot the box with my halogen bulbs where on the tailgate. They are now somewhere on the highway.
Haha well I guess there's no turning back now, you're fully committed to LEDs.

Be sure to report back if you have any problems with your LEDs!

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, so after my third pair of H11s from Vouke, I decided to send back all the ones I bought and the replacements they've sent (I will say their customer service has been pretty good) and I picked up some new ones for my lows highs and fogs. Here's the link to the ones I'm trying out:

OEDRO H11 LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit H9 4-side Patch LED Headlights H11 H9 Headlight Bulb 8000Lm Super Bright H11 H8 Led Bulb Fog light 6000K Xenon White 2-Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J89RYP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FTe6BbT6A99ZN

They're intriguing to me because of their design. LEDs all the way around on a thin little post. I figure this will mimic the light pattern of a halogen better, which is what I want since the housings were designed for halogens. Anyway, it turned out that it's true! The patterns look great. They're nice and bright, and with my first test out of the way, they don't seem to need pwm modules or decoders or anything special. ***Fingers crossed***

One caveat, the fans don't fit behind the dust covers of the high beams, so I've ordered some deeper after market dust covers that'll probably do the trick, for now some electrical tape is sufficing.

Here are some pictures of the output:
1. Oedro
2. Vouke 5KS
3. Lows only
4. Lows + fogs
5. Lows + highs
8d3ad749f3b58614f897fb660bd8bbad.jpgf392dea5812cda848c76c00c9139c101.jpg59c38b415fd7b16af6fbf3a2a2a5e43c.jpgc845fc911c3f56c8005e510f8f01ea1a.jpgdd053310fa7b07163cd9c37da83f6d43.jpg

walnuts4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 express crew
Engine
Did the new bulbs require the decoder? And if so which one did you buy?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did the new bulbs require the decoder? And if so which one did you buy?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Not yet, but I've only driven around with them a little bit. If I start to have problems I'll contact Oedro and see what they say. I'll keep the thread updated too.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do the beams end up in other peoples eyes? (i.e. are you getting flipped off with highbeams or horns?)

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Something ive seen is that the bulbs with an external driver ( box in line with the cable) gave me interference on some FM and AM stations(traffic reports & sports stations mainly for AM) on my old 2000 Grand Cherokee and my wifes '07 Pacifica. I only buy leds that have integrated drivers now, only thing on the cable is the connector. No problems with interference and no flicker on those vehicles or my new ram.

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do the beams end up in other peoples eyes? (i.e. are you getting flipped off with highbeams or horns?)
No, not so far, the aiming seemed identical to the halogens, and I haven't been flashed or honked at or anything the pattern looks very similar to halogens as well, I'm impressed so far.

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Something ive seen is that the bulbs with an external driver ( box in line with the cable) gave me interference on some FM and AM stations(traffic reports & sports stations mainly for AM) on my old 2000 Grand Cherokee and my wifes '07 Pacifica. I only buy leds that have integrated drivers now, only thing on the cable is the connector. No problems with interference and no flicker on those vehicles or my new ram.
Wow interesting, and you were able to isolate the radio problems to the in line LED drivers? I don't listen to the radio really so I wouldn't notice.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It was easy, the radio sounded fine until I turned on the headlights. I had replaced the Jeep ones with brighter Leds that happened to not have the separate drivers and found that it fixed it

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have replaced all of the bulbs with non canbus leds. I bought the Appcar diagfca software and recommended interface and that lt me set all bulbs to led. No problems. I had installed the high & low beams and foglights with leds months before getting the software with no issues. Once I got it I replaced all of the other bulbs & set it. Its 50 bucks for the software license and about 35 for the interface. It's registered to 1 Vin only though. I did see on this forum that there is another program for about the same that doesn't force you to register to any vin though.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/how-to-use-it/

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
@bryce88 -so, small question, if you can indulge me...

This far into the future, do you still have the same lights, and if so, how are they holding up?

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
@bryce88 -so, small question, if you can indulge me...

This far into the future, do you still have the same lights, and if so, how are they holding up?
Holding up great. Still have the same bulbs. We'll see how they hold up for another winter when I drive in the dark every single day. But, so far so good!

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Holding up great. Still have the same bulbs. We'll see how they hold up for another winter when I drive in the dark every single day. But, so far so good!

Good to hear they are doing well after a year. The link in your earlier post no longer goes to Oedro H11, and it looks like they no longer sell an H11, at least that I can find. :(