Affordable LED headlight upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey everyone, I think I've found a REALLY good solution for anyone looking to upgrade quad reflectors and fogs to LED on a budget. They look exactly like the supernova v3 from headlight revolution. Maybe they're even from the same factory in China? Who knows? The drivers on them are also IDENTICAL down to the green sticker, as seen on the Headlight Revolution installation videos.

Anyway, they're $50 a pair compared to $180 a pair from Headlight Revolution

Link to the budget LEDs:
VK-5S H11 H8 H9 8000LM LED Headlight Conversion Kit, Low beam headlamp, Fog Driving Light, HID or Halogen Head light Replacement, 6500K Xenon White, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FI0S49U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fmCxBb90B9B84

Link to Headlight Revolution Supernova V3:
https://headlightrevolution.com/200...led-h11-low-beam-bulbs-upgrade-supernova-v-3/

You will need the PWM modules if your truck is 2015+ I believe. When I first put them in they turned on and off intermittently and weren't consistent. I added the PWM modules and now they're perfectly reliable. Here's a link to the ones I got at $15 per pair:
https://www.headlightexperts.com/li...odulation-module-for-led-and-hid-applications
(The kit from Headlight Revolution comes with PWM modules)

I went ahead and put the Vouke VK-5S in my low beams high beams and fogs.
If you don't know, for the quad lights you'll need:
H11 For low beams
9005 for high beams
9006 for fogs (double check this for your truck)

So, if you do the math to upgrade all three sets:
Supernova V3:
$180 x 3 = $540

Vouke VK-5S + PWM modules
$65 x 3 = $195

Pretty substantial savings for what, in my opinion, is pretty much the same system.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the performance you can expect:

Photo 1: Original low beam halogen pattern for comparison
Photo 2: Vouke VK-5S LOW low beam pattern

Photo 3: low beams + fogs on road
Photo 4: low beams + high beams
Photo 5: low beams only
Photo 6: Vouke VK-5S bulb

*Note - the color difference between the on road photos is not real, my phone did weird things to the color. The most accurate color is the photo of low beams + fogs

Let me know if you guys have any questions!71213f6f8643850211c7e51764555df3.jpg75a0df6a940728d4c0036448babe2cc5.jpg4b68daf275770a033147e47cfc9fdd42.jpgb80d40c60cd202f7f19a9a580dcc5968.jpg53e5a8cfa88445be39429b0a46fbdef1.jpg564b5d4db9eac4e06aa4fe78b2e91ccb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hey everyone, I think I've found a REALLY good solution for anyone looking to upgrade quad reflectors and fogs to LED on a budget. They look exactly like the supernova v3 from headlight revolution. Maybe they're even from the same factory in China? Who knows? The drivers on them are also IDENTICAL down to the green sticker, as seen on the Headlight Revolution installation videos.

Anyway, they're $50 a pair compared to $180 a pair from Headlight Revolution

Link to the budget LEDs:
VK-5S H11 H8 H9 8000LM LED Headlight Conversion Kit, Low beam headlamp, Fog Driving Light, HID or Halogen Head light Replacement, 6500K Xenon White, 1 Pair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FI0S49U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fmCxBb90B9B84

Link to Headlight Revolution Supernova V3:
https://headlightrevolution.com/200...led-h11-low-beam-bulbs-upgrade-supernova-v-3/

You will need the PWM modules if your truck is 2015+ I believe. When I first put them in they turned on and off intermittently and weren't consistent. I added the PWM modules and now they're perfectly reliable. Here's a link to the ones I got at $15 per pair:
https://www.headlightexperts.com/li...odulation-module-for-led-and-hid-applications
(The kit from Headlight Revolution comes with PWM modules)

I went ahead and put the Vouke VK-5S in my low beams high beams and fogs.
If you don't know, for the quad lights you'll need:
H11 For low beams
9005 for high beams
9006 for fogs (double check this for your truck)

So, if you do the math to upgrade all three sets:
Supernova V3:
$180 x 3 = $540

Vouke VK-5S + PWM modules
$65 x 3 = $195

Pretty substantial savings for what, in my opinion, is pretty much the same system.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the performance you can expect:

Photo 1: Original low beam halogen pattern for comparison
Photo 2: Vouke VK-5S LOW low beam pattern

Photo 3: low beams + fogs on road
Photo 4: low beams + high beams
Photo 5: low beams only
Photo 6: Vouke VK-5S bulb

*Note - the color difference between the on road photos is not real, my phone did weird things to the color. The most accurate color is the photo of low beams + fogs

Let me know if you guys have any questions!71213f6f8643850211c7e51764555df3.jpg75a0df6a940728d4c0036448babe2cc5.jpg4b68daf275770a033147e47cfc9fdd42.jpgb80d40c60cd202f7f19a9a580dcc5968.jpg53e5a8cfa88445be39429b0a46fbdef1.jpg564b5d4db9eac4e06aa4fe78b2e91ccb.jpg

The Led bulb market will continue to get better and better. I apologize that I cannot credit the forum member who first mentioned it but they said CREE led's are the standard and that was one thing to look for when selecting your new Led bulbs.

Can you grab us some pics of where the hot spots are hitting?

The closer they can mimick the halogen bulb when throwing light the better

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The Led bulb market will continue to get better and better. I apologize that I cannot credit the forum member who first mentioned it but they said CREE led's are the standard and that was one thing to look for when selecting your new Led bulbs.

Can you grab us some pics of where the hot spots are hitting?

The closer they can mimick the halogen bulb when throwing light the better
I did upload photos of the pattern on the wall. One with the new LEDs and one with the original halogens to compare the pattern and placement of the hotspots. They mimick the halogen pattern VERY well...Are the pictures not showing up?

IronCity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are all showing and look pretty good. Nice post, keep us up to date on how they last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
How has the pwm modules performed? Any errors?

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How has the pwm modules performed? Any errors?
Nope, no errors. They've been working great.
Especially when compared to how the lights were running before I put the PWM modules in. They would turn off completely, or just one would turn off, I even had to put the halogens back in while I waited for the PWM modules to arrive, just so I could drive at night! I also noticed that they worked fine until the truck was running which was weird. BTW I'd like an explanation as to why that would be if anyone knows...
Anyway, I've only been running them a few days so if anything changes I'll keep this thread updated.

atom13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Na
Engine
Na
Especially when compared to how the lights were running before I put the PWM modules in. They would turn off completely, or just one would turn off, I even had to put the halogens back in while I waited for the PWM modules to arrive, just so I could drive at night! I also noticed that they worked fine until the truck was running which was weird. BTW I'd like an explanation as to why that would be if anyone knows...
Anyway, I've only been running them a few days so if anything changes I'll keep this thread updated.

The reason they work when the truck isn't running:
- truck off, voltage is ~12v so the bcm (technically called something else by Chrysler). PWM keeps the duty cycle high due to low voltage.
-truck on, voltage is ~14v bcm commands PWM to a lower duty cycle dye to higher voltage available.

I'm planning to buy several pwm modules from diode dynamics, xenon depot, and whatever you have. I'm curious to find how they are built and compare the build quality. I'm trying to find info on how these modules convert pwm to constant voltages.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
All good. It was a suggestion not an expectation. I was wanting a garage shot like you have with either less natural light or garage lighting.

Outside the garage at night to be more specific.

jarred

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7

Can you expand on the installation of the modulators? ive been trying to read off the site you linked. Is it just a plug into the pig tail, then the LED bulb into the two connectors?

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Can you expand on the installation of the modulators? ive been trying to read off the site you linked. Is it just a plug into the pig tail, then the LED bulb into the two connectors?
Yeah the PWM module goes between the wiring harness from the truck and the LED bulb itself. Here's a video that explains pretty well:
Jump to about 4 mins in and you'll see how plugs in.
BTW it says in the video that in order to do the high beams, you have to route some components to the outside of the housing, I was able to fit everything in by routing the PWM module for the high beam up into the low beam portion of the housing, just because there's more room up there.

Dejaclue

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the supernovas and hate the light output I get from them. I want to do a HID conversion and am thinking about getting some black housing tyc’s to do it

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ordered these they say it’s they are compatible with canbus systems so will see if it’s true .

A4258999-D310-4505-9C6D-6B6051301BBF.png

634312AD-A109-489C-A5C1-47FE2A3677F8.png

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They were $46 per pair . They are really good looking but I do need anti flicker/canbus addaptors even although They say no need u will . My buddie has a pair so I used them on the fogs because those were shutting off . My h11 low beams are on the whole time but my turn signal build won’t flash so I’m assuming these will need it also . Can anyone refer a good set to order

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Turn Signal bulb Not build . The bulb stays lite but won’t flash so some errors are happening

OP
OP
bryce88

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well I've started to have problems with these so I wanted to update anyone following this thread. Lately they've been turning off randomly. I even had one time driving on a really dark road at night and both headlights just shut off at the same time! Luckily I was able to turn on the fogs really quickly but I'm not gonna lie it was a little unnerving because I because I was on a curve at the time too. And now one of them is really dimly lit of it even turns on at all...
Anyway, I thought the problem could be the cheap pwm modules so I tore into them to replace the modules with the ones by Vouke. (The same company who makes the bulbs) to see if that fixes the issues. But after looking at the LEDs themselves this is what I found:

d59b196d5fad3be4219abb4dfcbf87c0.jpg

817a78f016d1a9910c3f1cbbbd56110a.jpg

You can see just one of the three little diodes is lit up and the other two are completely off. On the "good" one you'll see the surrounding material is all brown and burnt looking so it's only a matter of time before it goes too. So I'll be contacting the manufacturer to see if they'll replace them. I'm willing to give them another chance and now that I'm using the PWM modules that they make themselves and hopefully that'll make it so this problem doesn't repeat itself..

Last edited:

Heucobob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I added canbus decoders and they work great now