Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

After market touch screen fail

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Matt Todd, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:50 AM.

1. Matt Todd

Matt Todd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I recently installed a alpine stereo with a capacitive touch screen and noticed the other day that the touch screen intermittently does not work. By not work I mean the controls of it, it still shows things, plays music and whatnot but you try to adjust the volume or change songs or anything like that and it just acts dead. I could be wrong but it seems to only happen in the morning, when I start my truck up in the afternoon after work everything works fine. Crutchfield has instructed me to take my multimeter and check to see if the stereo is getting a a full 12V when powered up and I will check that out tomorrow morning. I was wondering 1: if anyone’s experienced this before 2: if it’s a truck or stereo issue 3: where do I check the voltage, at the base of the power cable that connects to the unit itself?

2. KC Cryptkeeper

KC Cryptkeeper Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    you might start the easy route and check at the battery first, if it is low then you know where the trouble is quickly. If your battery is losing power overnight then it would make sense.

3. Matt Todd

Matt Todd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Is that something would normally happen? Also, any idea what numbers I should be reading ideally from my battery?

4. KC Cryptkeeper

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    If your battery is more than say 3 years old yes it could be dropping to or just below 12v. A good new battery new usually reads a minimum of 12.8v before you start the truck.

5. Matt Todd

Matt Todd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Do we know if a low battery would cause a touch screen functions to not work only? I haven’t checked the bolts in the morning hours yet but just curious.

6. KC Cryptkeeper

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Well in your first post they said to look for a full 12v, so if the truck is at 11.8v in the morning, your truck would start but the radio might not get enough voltage. After driving and having the alternator charge the system back up you troubles go away until it sits long enough to get to a low voltage state. The radio is your case is more sensitive than the truck starting.

7. Firetruck41

Firetruck41 Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
    The alternator should immediately be kicking out about 14v once the engine is running, so if the battery has enough power to start the truck, and your alternator is working, it probably isn't the battery that is causing issues with your stereo.

8. KC Cryptkeeper

Ram Year:
    2015 Ram1500
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    His issues are happening in the morning and they told him to check for a full 12v. I agree after starting the truck he should have 14v but the momentary starting voltage drop and current pull can be affecting the radio along with a potential problem of the voltage dropping over night.

9. Matt Todd

Matt Todd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    So I just checked the battery this morning and it read12.56V

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 8:31 AM
  10. Matt Todd

Matt Todd Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Also let me say that when the issue happens in the morning it does not go away. Now so far I haven’t drove for hours first thing in the morning but during my 20 minute commute it does not remedy the touch screen issue