Aftermarket air suspension for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

switters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a used 2022 RAM 1500 Rebel 5.7 Hemi with 250 miles on it. I'll be towing a 23' Airstream that weighs about 6,000 lbs. fully loaded. I have a ProPride 3P weight distribution hitch. (I needed this for towing the Airstream with our former tow vehicle, a Range Rover Sport.)

Here's my question: the Range Rover Sport had air suspension, and I found that to be very helpful for getting on/off the ProPride hitch. The 1500 Rebel I just bought doesn't have air suspension, but I've heard that there are various aftermarket solutions for adding it (or at least a version of it).

For those of you that don't have air suspension, have you had any issues towing without it. Has anyone added it aftermarket?

Thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You probably won't need the airbags but having them will help immensely with keeping the truck from squatting too much while keeping the WDH hitch adjusted correctly.
For rear helper air bags, look at ones AirLift or TimberGrove. If your occasionally towing you may want add a compressor like the WirelessOne set up, if not a small battery powered bicycle tire inflator works good .

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The AirLift 5000 is a solid solution, easy to install.

That being said, on my last two Gen 4 1500's I had the AirLift 1000 in-coil bags. They're not load leveling bags, so they don't raise or lower your truck. They're for load carrying to reduce squat when hooking up and to reduce bounce while towing. And they worked perfect for that. Good thing is you don't need a compressor to inflate them. I used a bicycle hand pump with a gauge on it. Only takes a few pumps per bag to go from 5 to 30 PSI.

OP
OP
S

switters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for clarifying. I ended up going with the AirLift + WirelessOne. Waiting for the parts to arrive and a local shop will install.

DaveInHutto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Roadmaster active suspension, looks like a suitable trailer pulling setup, also heavy loads.

Markzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I also think you won't need the airbags, but having them will help keep the vehicle from squatting too much while maintaining the WDH hitch properly set. It's true.
Consider AirLift or TimberGrove rear assist air bags. If you occasionally tow, you might want to invest in a compressor like the WirelessOne setup, but if not, a modest battery-powered bicycle tire inflate would suffice.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
IMHO these trucks don't need air bags for towing. If your truck is squatting a bit that's perfectly fine, they're designed to do just that. If they're squatting really bad then it's a sign you're overloaded or need to adjust your weight somewhere and putting bags on the bag just hides the problem it doesn't fix anything.

OP
OP
S

switters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also think you won't need the airbags, but having them will help keep the vehicle from squatting too much while maintaining the WDH hitch properly set. It's true.
Consider AirLift or TimberGrove rear assist air bags. If you occasionally tow, you might want to invest in a compressor like the WirelessOne setup, but if not, a modest battery-powered bicycle tire inflate would suffice.
Thanks. I ended up with the AirLift Wireless One, but I don't use it much. Our Airstream and horse trailer don't really cause the truck to squat—they aren't heavy enough to do that. I was towing with a Range Rover Sport before and it squatted badly, but as ramffml said, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the RAM 1500.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
my trailer is also 6000# but 28' long. you can get by without airbags on the rear. I did it a couple times but you will like towing much better with the bags. I put the Airlift 1000 and run 25# in them when towing just to reduce some of the shimmy I got from the coil spring suspension and they made a noticeable difference. I also changed out the swaybar to the Helwig and I run more air in the tires when towing. The 20" Falken AT3 tires have a max 51# and I run 40# when towing. all these things add up to a more stable platform when towing. all easy things to do too.