Aftermarket items have problems with factory air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I have not got my truck yet but hopefully next week. I ordered a 3500 Limited with the rear air suspension. I have been looking at after market items and have come across a few that says that they will not work with the rear air suspension. Front leveling kits and air compressor/horn kits say they wont work, why?. I have not even seen the truck or undercarriage or driven it as I knew what I wanted so I just ordered it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had no problem with the rear auto air suspenson when I installed a front level on my 2014 2500.

A lift kit on the rear might be a problem. Never tried it.

If you wire in a compressor and tank for the air horns separate from the OEM rear air system I don't see why that would be a problem either.

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I had no problem with the rear auto air suspenson when I installed a front level on my 2014 2500.

I was only looking for a level kit, this level kits says it wont work but I have no clue why. https://carlisuspension.com/product...m/dodge-2-5-leveling-system-2019-3500-diesel/

A lift kit on the rear might be a problem. Never tried it. I am done with lift kits.

If you wire in a compressor and tank for the air horns separate from the OEM rear air system I don't see why that would be a problem either.

This compressor and the kits they sell all say this also. https://kleinn.com/product/onboard-air-system-for-2014-2018-ramhd-2500-3500/

I will just wait and see the truck and build an air system myself like I did on my current truck and jeep. I wish I knew why These companies say that things wont work with rear air suspension in the new trucks.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It may be that some folks have tried to connect some of these systems to the onboard air for the rear air.

Now, most owners would know better but there are those who don't...

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
It may be that some folks have tried to connect some of these systems to the onboard air for the rear air.

Now, most owners would know better but there are those who don't...

That maybe it, so its a PSA to help those that don't do their research instead of a fitment issue possibly.

Honestly I didn't know that the rear air was a closed system until I read it here. I would have figured it out eventually after crawling underneath.

Our trucks are in and we are going to pick them up the first of the week, can't wait.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I replaced my front coils with 1.75" Thuren's. I had no issue. Then I added a 1" rear Ready Lift block for the rear, still no issue.

The level sensor for the rear air suspension is measuring the angle from the top of the leaf pack to the frame. Adding a block under the leaf pack does not make any difference as far as changing the relationship of that angle. They do have 1" and great spacers for the airbags, but it is not really needed for a 1" block. If I were to go to a 2" or greater left block or replacement leaf pack, I would add a space to the airbag as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I replaced my front coils with 1.75" Thuren's. I had no issue. Then I added a 1" rear Ready Lift block for the rear, still no issue.

The level sensor for the rear air suspension is measuring the angle from the top of the leaf pack to the frame. Adding a block under the leaf pack does not make any difference as far as changing the relationship of that angle. They do have 1" and great spacers for the airbags, but it is not really needed for a 1" block. If I were to go to a 2" or greater left block or replacement leaf pack, I would add a space to the airbag as well.

zrojas, so you werent going for a level but a small lift. Did the 1.75" spring get you pretty close to level? I am looking at a 2.5" dual rate Icon spring with a 2.5" reservoir Icon shock to level the front.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
zrojas, so you werent going for a level but a small lift. Did the 1.75" spring get you pretty close to level? I am looking at a 2.5" dual rate Icon spring with a 2.5" reservoir Icon shock to level the front.
The 1.75 Thuren coils on my 3500 with factory air rear suspension it the truck pretty much level. I thought it looked slightly higher in the front so I got the 1" block for the back. If I had got the 2.5" springs from Thuren I would have got a 2" block for the back. I think if you have leaf spring only in the rear, you'll be fine with 2.5 coils.
I don't mind the rake, but I wanted the whole truck a little higher closer to the height of my 4th gen.

OP
OP
Jetact

Jetact

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
The 1.75 Thuren coils on my 3500 with factory air rear suspension it the truck pretty much level. I thought it looked slightly higher in the front so I got the 1" block for the back. If I had got the 2.5" springs from Thuren I would have got a 2" block for the back. I think if you have leaf spring only in the rear, you'll be fine with 2.5 coils.
I don't mind the rake, but I wanted the whole truck a little higher closer to the height of my 4th gen.

zrojas,
Thanks for the reply, I do have a leaf spring in the rear but also have the automatic air level back there. I am just hoping to be level so we will see.

zrojas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
zrojas,
Thanks for the reply, I do have a leaf spring in the rear but also have the automatic air level back there. I am just hoping to be level so we will see.
All 3500s with factory rear air have leaf springs.