Aftermarket Suspension / Shock advise - Carli vs. Thuren

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys,

After owning my 2020 wagon for 8 month and 8k miles I have come to the conclusion the factory suspension just isn't cutting it for what I use the truck for. A little bit about the truck itself, mostly stock except AEV wheels, 35" tires and super heavy White Knuckle sliders. The one factor changing the dynamics of things is a full-time mounted FWC (slide in camper) that weighs around 1,200 pounds. I have installed air bags in the rear on cradles, as I have done on every truck I have mounted a FWC on.

This is not the first truck this particular camper has been mounted on, in fact my last truck was a 1/2 ton Titan and honestly, the suspension handled it much better. Granted I had uprated that truck with 500# front springs and Icon shocks. That truck handled off-road like a trophy truck with the camper on.

This leads me to my current situation - as much as I wanted to keep the PW as stock as possible, the current suspension is not cutting it and needs to be updated. It handles like crap off-road, and after getting beaten up on the White Rim Trail this past week its time for an upgrade. (oh, and please don't comments on tire pressure, driving style...I have that dialed in)

Question is, from those that have installed either the Carli or Thuren system how have those been working out? The one thing that is keeping me away from the Carli system is the amount of lift. In reality, I don't really want the truck much higher, with the camper on I like to keep the center of gravity low, and secondly fitting down some tight trails is challenging enough height wise as is.

Has anyone used the front Thuren system (1 1/2") lift with the rear Carli springs (1") lift uprated for 2,000 payload....seems about perfect for what I need?

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/c...ote-reservoir-front-kit-power-wagon-2014-2022

https://carlisuspension.com/product/dodge/ram-coil-springs-2014-2500/

And shocks - as much as I want the Kings 2.5, I don't want to wait the current lead time of one year for them, and truthfully I probably don't need them with this set up. Those that have the remote res Fox, how are you liking them? Are they meeting your expectations? I have owned King before, amazing. And Icon, also amazing. But never Fox.

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
While I don't tow or haul heavy, I run a Thuren Extreme kit with King 2.5 and I would have to say while handling performance is improved, it comes with a trade off, especially with the rear springs since they are a soft rate type and any heavy weight, payload or towed, will result in a 1/2 Ton squat. I usually address this with a WDH when I tow and I'm not bagged.

Thuren was recommending his front leveling kit only and leave the rear end OE if you wanted to get level, but was planning to haul or tow. I would suggest reading through his tech articles, albeit it doesn't address towing or hauling heavy. You may see better improvements by installing his track bars (front and rear) and upgrading the shocks if you want to leave it at factory height. The Power Wagon is already lifted, allegedly, 1.5 inch from factory. Installing a Thuren front kit is adding another 1.5 inch, so you're only about 3 inches total and is really imperceptible, but does level it out with a ever slight rake if the rear OE springs are installed. Again, if you install the Thuren rear springs it'll be near level perfect, but the trade off with his softer rate springs are now part of equation. Might give Thuren a call and discuss concerns and see if he can offer some suggestions. He has worked with these platforms quite a bit and knows their limitations and weaknesses.

I assume other members with real-world experience will respond.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'd call CJC Offroad and talk it through with them. They carry both brands and can get you custom spring rates and valving from King to suit your needs. I couldn't be happier with my Carli Pin Top kit in all circumstances.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just posted this in a different thread. Call Carli and talk to them directly. They are very friendly and know their stuff.

I was considering a Commuter system for my 2018 1/2to but did ultimately decide against it because it cost me 10% of towing capacity.
This wouldn't help you.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Most aftermarket kits run a softer spring than stock, so that probably isn`t the way to go!
Perhaps you could run a stiffer stock 2500 rear spring with 2in spacers and good shocks all around...
Or have a set of spring made for your specific needs.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Most aftermarket kits run a softer spring than stock, so that probably isn`t the way to go!
Perhaps you could run a stiffer stock 2500 rear spring with 2in spacers and good shocks all around...
Or have a set of spring made for your specific needs.

The Carli Pin Top kit actually increases payload on the PW to 2000 lbs.

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Isn’t the only thing working against the PW’s lower payload the soft springs? In which case, wouldn’t a stiffer spring increase payload?

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
my 2 cents is that the thuren track bars will help a lot in your handling. The rear more so than the front has been my experience.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
"Your truck will sit 2” higher in the front (cab configuration dependent) with a touch more suspension travel than the factory platform thanks to the taller, lighter rate coil springs. The rear Carli Coil Springs will lift 1” to level the truck while upping the rear suspension capacity to a respectable 2,000lbs."

https://carlisuspension.com/product/dodge/dodge-ram-2500-3500/ram-suspension-systems/power-wagon/2019-ram-2500-4x4-power-wagon-2″-suspension-systems/pw-pintop-system/
That don’t change what the door sticker says :chair: I think that what the payload police will say. It don’t matter what anybody says or does it’s what’s on the sticker….now I fall into the it’s a 2500 and built like a 3500 so throw bags on that sum ***** and run it:driver:

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That don’t change what the door sticker says :chair: I think that what the payload police will say. It don’t matter what anybody says or does it’s what’s on the sticker….now I fall into the it’s a 2500 and built like a 3500 so throw bags on that sum ***** and run it:driver:

So a sticker is more important than the actual equipment on the truck?

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You do you man.
I was breaking balls, hence the shots fired in my first post. I think for the most part people are responsible with how they run their trucks. Especially the op considering he’s asking for advice on the matter. There is always a few idiots out there though that you see over loaded. I try and stay away from that best I can and have the right equipment to do so.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
So a sticker is more important than the actual equipment on the truck?

Yeah according to lawyers lol. Hey I didn’t say I agreed with it. I’m just saying the “payload police” won’t agree with it. I mean I chopped my truck in half but I can carry more than a Cummins according to my sticker. Would I do it? Obviously not. But the sticker is the sticker. Which is why I refuse to buy tires from discount tire.

904CAE55-7ABD-47A4-B8B7-2F9ABB0B5A1F.jpeg

OP
OP
Adventurebound

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies guys, even the "heated" ones....lol

So I contacted CJC and they are recommending the full Carli kit. I'm not against going this route but by the time I upgrade to King, cause why not, I'm probably looking at close to $7,500 installed, tax, title and the whole lot...

While I'm not opposed to "investing" that much in my truck my concern is, will I see a $7,500 improvement in ride quality? My last truck I was able to get away with Eibach front springs and Icon shocks, that was night and day, and worth every penny of the $1,500 or so it cost.

This kit, while I'm sure it's amazing, I might never know the answer to the question of "does the cost outway the benefit" until I make the commitment and pull the trigger. Let you know....

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
legally your on the cusp of 8800# gvwr with that camper. i wouldnt worry about any police unless of course you get in a wreck then you may have some explaining to do if a savvy cop rolls up on scene. maybe a regular 2500 with a few modifications would of been a better choice

B Mitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
6.4L
If you are ordering custom tuned king shocks, the wait is around a year, they are way backed up right now. FYI.

I ordered a full king 2.5 system from Thuren January the 5th. It was just sent out 3 days ago. 6 months. That was when the lead time was 2 months expected. They are now projecting a 10 month wait time, so I’m guessing a year?

Keep that in mind before ordering.