Air dam delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsmith96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wondering if anybody has any thoughts using Alfa OBD to delete the active air dam on a 5th gen 1500. Thanks

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I show a BCM setting for it (Powertrain:Active Air Dam Present) in my 2019 BCM. Mine is set to YES. I suppose you could set it to NO and see if the air dam doesn't deploy but I haven't read of anyone testing that theory out. I no longer have the truck so cannot satisfy my curiosity.

The posts I've read about deleting the air dam have physically deleted it but haven't bothered with changing the software settings that I know of.

Are you looking to just electronically delete it so that it doesn't deploy? Or just de-activate it when you are off-roading?

If I remember correctly the air dam doesn't extend until 38 mph IIRC and retracts around 35 mph so doesn't provide obstruction at lower speeds (compared to the wall of plastic under the bumper of the F-150s).

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I removed the AAD from three different 5th gen 1500's...2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, and 2021 Limited. Made sure to tape up the connectors real well to keep dirt and moisture out. Never had any issues with CEL on any of them.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I removed the AAD from three different 5th gen 1500's...2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, and 2021 Limited. Made sure to tape up the connectors real well to keep dirt and moisture out. Never had any issues with CEL on any of them.
Ram engineers have read this and have made a programming change, the '24 model year truck will now throw a CEL... LOL!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ram engineers have read this and have made a programming change, the '24 model year truck will now throw a CEL... LOL!
Well in that case I'd probably remove the motor from the AAD assembly and mount it somewhere up behind the front bumper. It's not that I don't like the AAD. I don't like the stationary air dam. But if I remove that the AAD becomes visible and looks worse than the stationary air dam.

OP
OP
J

jsmith96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed both of my active air dam and fixed air dam. taped up the end good. It threw a Cel code a week later then cleared itself. I haven't had a problem since. This was about a month ago. I just wondered if maybe it was a good idea to delete the option altogether in the BCM?

Goblue

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 and 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7 and 3.6
May I ask, why don’t some people want the air dam to work?

OP
OP
J

jsmith96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed mine because I added full skid plating underneath the engine and front axle. In order to tie it into the bumper nicely it was necessary to remove it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
May I ask, why don’t some people want the air dam to work?
Sure, you can ask. Mainly because I like how it looks without any air dams. It also gives a better approach angle when off road. If the air dams actually made a difference with fuel economy I might think about keeping them. But the difference with and without, for us at least, wasn't even noticeable. At best it might add 0.5 mpg. Which to me isn't worth having to look at it LOL.