Air Dam yes/no (Power Wagon)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Doing some work under the truck today and I got to contemplating whether to remove the plastic air dam or not... no doubt that thing is not good for approach angle. For off road operation it seems a no brainer.

And yet, fact is it’s on pavement most of the time, and if I’m doing a nasty trail I’ll just take a Polaris.

So, the question I put to those of you that have removed them, did you see any downside; e.g. turbulence or any other discernible negative effect?

Thank you for your contributions to my over analyzing any minor change.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Doing some work under the truck today and I got to contemplating whether to remove the plastic air dam or not... no doubt that thing is not good for approach angle. For off road operation it seems a no brainer.

And yet, fact is it’s on pavement most of the time, and if I’m doing a nasty trail I’ll just take a Polaris.

So, the question I put to those of you that have removed them, did you see any downside; e.g. turbulence or any other discernible negative effect?

Thank you for your contributions to my over analyzing any minor change.
Take it out!!! I can write about it on my thread whenever I finish my front skid. But you will need to cut off the compatibility brackets. search compatibility brackets you’ll see my comment.

image.jpg

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks @Trailmaker , and thanks for the photo. The compatibility brackets are gone, because they’re incompatible with the tow bar brackets I installed to flat tow the truck. Those also replaced the recovery hooks, which I’m not wild about, but compromises have to happen sometimes. At some point I’ll likely get an aftermarket bumper and toss all that factory facade.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Thanks @Trailmaker , and thanks for the photo. The compatibility brackets are gone, because they’re incompatible with the tow bar brackets I installed to flat tow the truck. Those also replaced the recovery hooks, which I’m not wild about, but compromises have to happen sometimes. At some point I’ll likely get an aftermarket bumper and toss all that factory facade.
@Breaker Alex pulled his off too. I did not get any wind noise and I could not tell if I had a drop in MPG. But I have to get gas every 4 days it seems. Even if my truck sat over the weekend, the gas thieves come and take it. I get 19 mpg only when I want to(or my wife is driving) most days I’m hanging around the 11-13 mark.

Take a board from the wheel to the bumper and you will see that we don’t gain much on approach angles, but it was in the way of the front skid I was building and it made the “truck look lower” then it really was. So for those reasons I took it off.

lnferno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Took mine off and so glad that I did. It didn’t seem to affect gas mileage as bad as I thought it would. Averaged 16.2 MPG on 37s without that air dam on a trip from Colorado to Moab. Definitely needed the extra clearance in Moab. fdd284a8731a89aa2ebd6c7b92259c20.jpg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Last edited:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bumping this thread up...the search function sux

any more pw people with input on the air dam?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

I took mine off last weekend. Honestly just for looks. Makes the truck look taller, and also lets you see the tires a bit more.

Edit: If you do remove it. You need to remove the compatibility brackets, because they hang down lower than the front bumper. They are bolted on. But i havent mustered up the strength to get those damn nuts off. (takes like a 24mm socket, and hanging 200Lbs (me) didnt even make it bat an eye)

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took mine off last weekend. Honestly just for looks. Makes the truck look taller, and also lets you see the tires a bit more.

Edit: If you do remove it. You need to remove the compatibility brackets, because they hang down lower than the front bumper. They are bolted on. But i havent mustered up the strength to get those damn nuts off. (takes like a 24mm socket, and hanging 200Lbs (me) didnt even make it bat an eye)
photos? I doubt you have driven enough to notice a mpg difference yet.. I have a dewalt impact driver that will get about any job done when it comes to removing stuck bolts..My concern is I live were speed limits are 75-80mph and I am actually headed to Moab on Sunday and we drive it in a day (~800 miles) so rarely under 75-80. The other thing I am concerned with being winter all the de-icer and sloppy crap that will fly underneath onto the synthetic winch line.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
photos? I doubt you have driven enough to notice a mpg difference yet.. I have a dewalt impact driver that will get about any job done when it comes to removing stuck bolts..My concern is I live were speed limits are 75-80mph and I am actually headed to Moab on Sunday and we drive it in a day (~800 miles) so rarely under 75-80. The other thing I am concerned with being winter all the de-icer and sloppy crap that will fly underneath onto the synthetic winch line.

I have driven it maybe like 500 miles. No difference in MPG. i also have a 75MPH highway by my house. No difference in wind noise.

Now... since you live in Montana, and save salt to put up with. This might not be the best for you. Because like you said, it will all fling up under the truck, and winch. Maybe keep this as a summer mod lol

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

I cut mine and added to it.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

All that crap is coming straight in the fairlead opening onto your winch line anyways. Synth lines need to be washed a few times a year.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All that crap is coming straight in the fairlead opening onto your winch line anyways. Synth lines need to be washed a few times a year.
while I agree synthetic line needs to be washed (I have been running it for over 10 years on jeeps) I never have crap come in thru the fairlead on my jeep. I guess if it is a problem it would be easy to block the opening.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Removed both front and rear air damns.
Yes, the rear sensors too. I use the camera instead as I keep the sensors off ( annoying alarms too often )

I bet the air dams helps a normal height 2500 truck with stock tires.
But us? Ahhh we are allready too high and usually with 35" tires and up.

So MPG gains and other aerodynamics must be negligible IMO

Looks better ( IMO )and higher clearance.

IMG_20200418_141120.jpg IMG_20200409_124955.jpg

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Keep mine on.

At city and off-road speeds drag isn't a big deal, but the faster you go, the more it matters. At 70 mph highway speeds, you've got four times the force working against your Power Wagon than you have at 35 mph. Every .01 of drag coefficient improvement equates to approximately 0.1 MPG increase depending on the truck. You may not notice any MPG difference due to many other factors apply.

On the nearby Utah Interstate 80 it has 80 MPH speed limits. A good test of how the Air Dam still deflects the air from under your Power Wagon even when lifted is to use your driver's side outside rear view mirror. Stick your head out of the window at 80 MPH into the wind and then put it behind the rear view mirror. You should notice that at 80 MPH the wind without your mirror deflecting it feels similar to thie video below in winter conditions. I tested this theory on I-25 in Colorado when my recalled wiper motor failed on my Chevrolet K1500 during winter conditions.

YouTube · Reed Timmer
2:41
MAJOR WINDSTORM Boulder, Colorado! Wind gusts to 90 mph possible
Nov 30, 2019

Last edited: