Air suspension and cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a way to disable the Air Ride? My threw an error in the 0 degree weather this week in NJ. It cleared by itself but curious?

You do not have springs, you need the air ride suspension to not sit at the bottom position.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a way to disable the Air Ride? My threw an error in the 0 degree weather this week in NJ. It cleared by itself but curious?
You disable it in your evic. As far as I know it can't be driven in disable mode, when you reach a certain speed it will automatically activate again.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP. Any chance your air system has been opened? IE moisture in the sealed nitrogen system. If you have warrenty ask them if it leaks and if they are intrested in checking the system and do a purge and refill. If its your dollars I have no suggestions past warming it up in a garage and see if it goes away.

The FCA dealer here does not order any trucks with air ride as support for problems like this is non existent. Some have had sucess running it in these temps but their failure rate was enough to stop carrying them. Sorry that parts of little help.

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To the OP. Any chance your air system has been opened? IE moisture in the sealed nitrogen system. If you have warrenty ask them if it leaks and if they are intrested in checking the system and do a purge and refill. If its your dollars I have no suggestions past warming it up in a garage and see if it goes away.

The FCA dealer here does not order any trucks with air ride as support for problems like this is non existent. Some have had sucess running it in these temps but their failure rate was enough to stop carrying them. Sorry that parts of little help.

So your dealer doesn’t sell any Longhorn or Limited trucks?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
-37C? I can't even imagine that level of cold. I would just assume anything in that ballpark, that nothing would work, including my will to live lol.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:
OP
OP
Davidkjs1

Davidkjs1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

My warranty ran out last year. Right beore I had to shell out two grand to fix this same issue last winter. Ran the first three winters without issue while on warranty. Makes me shake my head.

ChCa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My compressor just went and is getting replace by the exact same compressor. I have logged this with FCA Canada as, imo, a defect.

I also told them I want the compressors logged as a safety harzard as I was locked in OR2 and was able to drive on the highway which isn't supposed to happen. I also had to drive it to the dealer on the stops and almost put my truck sideways when I hit a bump on an icy highway.

It doesn't hurt to voice your concerns with FCA Canada. Make it a safety concern and that you feel a campaign or recall should be issued.
FCA Canada Customer Care
PHONE: 1-800-465-2001 (Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 8:00pm EST, Saturday, 9:00am to 5:00pm EST)

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
and that's why I got rid of mine , the what if after warranty not worth the stress.

realsignman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My compressor just went and is getting replace by the exact same compressor. I have logged this with FCA Canada as, imo, a defect.

I also told them I want the compressors logged as a safety harzard as I was locked in OR2 and was able to drive on the highway which isn't supposed to happen. I also had to drive it to the dealer on the stops and almost put my truck sideways when I hit a bump on an icy highway.

It doesn't hurt to voice your concerns with FCA Canada. Make it a safety concern and that you feel a campaign or recall should be issued.
FCA Canada Customer Care
PHONE: 1-800-465-2001 (Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 8:00pm EST, Saturday, 9:00am to 5:00pm EST)
I've had the same happened to mine. My dealer says that over time the nitrogen slowly depletes even though it's a closed system. As it gets lower it starts drawing from the atmosphere, which has moisture or condensation in it. Come the cold weather, it freezes up and ruins the compressor. The technician says the 2500 have no problem as they have an air dryer on them. The Jeep Cherokee components are all inside the cab. The Ram is under the bed exposed. Since my truck is off warranty, it's going to cost me in excess of $2,000 to repair. This is not the first time it's happened this year. They were able to get it to function once it thawed out, but said it won't last in the cold, and they were right. It's now sitting on the ground again. Thank you for this link as FCA will be definitely hearing from me.

rvj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I've been fighting mine this winter. It drops to the bump stops and stays there. Then when it warms up it seems fine. Sometimes it will go into aero mode and then fail to lower back down when I get back into town. Took it to dealer and they said I needed a new pump. They are on back order because there is not enough to go around. I was told it is an all day job if it ever comes in. From what I've read, it may be an ongoing issue even after the attempted fix. As many years as this has been an issue you'd think there would be a sure fire fix by now.

OP
OP
Davidkjs1

Davidkjs1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

FCA Canada Customer Care

I have. They responded with a lengthy email stating that there is no safety concern and that they have never heard of the suspension failing. I had my truck in the shop for air suspension 5 times in the last two years. It recently just failed again at 28 Celsius. first time it has ever failed in hot weather. It will be traded in as soon as it's fixed. Is there a way to file a complaint with transport Canada

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 0 knowledge of the air ride on the ram so I don't know if this is an option.That being said, on a semi where the suspension, brakes, and several other things work off air this is what you do. Go to the out bound side of the compressor, release/bleed off pressure, pour air line antifreeze in, reconnect and fire it up. Then operate the farthest air operated system from the compressor to move it through the lines. Our trucks at my job have an evaporator that constantly puts the antifreeze in the system so freeze up never happens. Maybe the aftermarket needs to come up with something similar for the rams with air suspension that operate in cold weather.
I have a 2014 sport, air suspension. 2016 new compressor $1800.00 on warranty. It has frozen up again, that means there is water in system. Mine does not drop. I do not put it up or down in cold weather. I have been researching this for 4 years. The problem is the computer is testing the two lines behind the right tail light for blockage!!! When it test the incoming line it brings in a bit of air to test it. There is water in the air when it is compressed. It also tests the outgoing line by expelling a bit of your nitrogen. This is a closed loop system of nitrogen, however it seems that the system will use air if you lose nitrogen. They should never bring in air, period. Over time the water accumulates and when it gets cold the water freezes, maybe in the compressor, blows a 40 amp fuse or it might burn out the compressor. Dodge probably will not change the software in the computer to stop testing those lines. It is "cash cow". They wanted about $1000.00 to do a whole bunch of test. I told them that I needed the system purged to get the water out. They tested for air leak based on the diognostic, low nitrogen. There was NO air leak. The nitrogen was low because the computer keeps testing the lines for blockage, bringing in air and expelling nitrogen. I picked up the truck. They had filled the nitrogen so I don't think I will have anymore problems as they probably got some of the water out when they did that.
I had a long talk with the tech and my profession is electronic and here is what I suggest. Take the back tail light out, replace the little paper dirt filter with a throwaway dirt/water filter $5.00, I installed 1/8 hose fittings, have Dodge "PURGE the SYSTEM" and that will take out the water. Do this before you get cold weather, once a year. That will cost you a couple hours labor. Preventative Maintenance. You should be good for the winter, you won't have problems in warm weather, at lest I did not have problems.

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a long talk with the tech and my profession is electronic and here is what I suggest. Take the back tail light out, replace the little paper dirt filter with a throwaway dirt/water filter $5.00, I installed 1/8 hose fittings, have Dodge "PURGE the SYSTEM" and that will take out the water. Do this before you get cold weather, once a year. That will cost you a couple hours labor. Preventative Maintenance. You should be good for the winter, you won't have problems in warm weather, at lest I did not have problems.

Hmmm...really? Might be something to consider!

TXCOMT

Got 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l v8
I have a 2014 sport, air suspension. 2016 new compressor $1800.00 on warranty. It has frozen up again, that means there is water in system. Mine does not drop. I do not put it up or down in cold weather. I have been researching this for 4 years. The problem is the computer is testing the two lines behind the right tail light for blockage!!! When it test the incoming line it brings in a bit of air to test it. There is water in the air when it is compressed. It also tests the outgoing line by expelling a bit of your nitrogen. This is a closed loop system of nitrogen, however it seems that the system will use air if you lose nitrogen. They should never bring in air, period. Over time the water accumulates and when it gets cold the water freezes, maybe in the compressor, blows a 40 amp fuse or it might burn out the compressor. Dodge probably will not change the software in the computer to stop testing those lines. It is "cash cow". They wanted about $1000.00 to do a whole bunch of test. I told them that I needed the system purged to get the water out. They tested for air leak based on the diognostic, low nitrogen. There was NO air leak. The nitrogen was low because the computer keeps testing the lines for blockage, bringing in air and expelling nitrogen. I picked up the truck. They had filled the nitrogen so I don't think I will have anymore problems as they probably got some of the water out when they did that.

Do you have a link for the filter or a picture with your setup?

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a link for the filter or a picture with your setup?
I don't know how to post a picture yet, I am new to this site. The filter is round about 2 in diameter and a female inlet and outlet. I used a couple of 1/8 compressed air tool fittings I had in my junk box and just plugged the hoses in. These filter are used on paint guns to filter out dirt and water from your paint gun while spraying.

Norman Roach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know how to post a picture yet, I am new to this site. The filter is round about 2 in diameter and a female inlet and outlet. I used a couple of 1/8 compressed air tool fittings I had in my junk box and just plugged the hoses in. These filter are used on paint guns to filter out dirt and water from your paint gun while spraying.
Had my air suspension purged a month ago, so far great.

David Harkness

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Don't buy air ride if you want to drive in winter. -25C, bye-bye suspension. New system $2200. Twice in 40,000 miles. POS extended warranty won't cover it. This should be a recall. ARE YOU LISTENING DODGE RAM FOLKS?

Got 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l v8
Don't buy air ride if you want to drive in winter. -25C, bye-bye suspension. New system $2200. Twice in 40,000 miles. POS extended warranty won't cover it. This should be a recall. ARE YOU LISTENING DODGE RAM FOLKS?

I'm curios what kind of warranty you have if it wasn't covered... Or did you modify your suspension or put a lift on?