ALFAOBD Headlight (High/Low Beams) and Tire Size adjusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just earlier this evening I finally got a new Samsung Galaxy A51 and was able to download the ALFAOBD app to it and adjusted my tire size and was able to set my headlights so that the low beams stayed on when the high beams were activated. Both adjustments are a great improvement!!!

To set the headlights, I choose RAM 2500 (DJ/DR), then BODY COMPUTER, then selected the correct Central Gateway Module for my year of truck. My truck is a 2011, so, I picked the MY2006-12 Non-PowerNet option. In the next screen, scroll all the way to bottom of the choices and pick CAR CONFIGURATION CHANGE.

Under the CAR CONFIGURATION CHANGE, tap the SELECT OPTION to open the menu of what you want next. Scroll down a little more than half-way and past all the Configurable Outputs (14 of them) and choose the RECONFIGURABLE PARAMETERS: QUAD HEADLAMPS ENABLE. Another drop down menu gives you the option of selecting either, NOT SET or SET. I clicked SET and hit the START button to update. There will be a NEXT button for you to confirm if you really want to apply the changes.

Now my low beams stay lit when I activate the high beams. I am very pleased with the greatly improved lighting this makes.

For adjusting the tire size to the larger tires I'm running, I stayed in the RAM 2500 (DJ/DR) & BODY COMPUTER options. After hitting the drop drop down menu, I had to select the Central Gateway Module again. In my case the MY2006-12 Non-PowerNet and then hit CONNECT. Once connected, under the SELECT PROCEDURE TO START options, I choose the PROGRAM TIRE SIZE option. The next selection was choosing the tire size. I now run LT275/70R18, so, I selected that option (near the bottom of the choices). Then hit the START button. The system asked me to confirm the change request by having me hit the NEXT button to complete.

Now my speedometer reads correctly. Before the speedo was reading about 5 MPH slower than actual. I'm sure that was messing with my computers MPG calculations and even my own hand calculations I do every time I fuel up.

I am very happy with both adjustments made today. upload_2020-11-25_23-50-23.gifupload_2020-11-25_23-50-23.gif

OP
OP
Tahoebronco

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last Thanksgiving weekend (11/25/2020) I added a new post about how I had gotten a new smartphone and finally got to use the AlfaOBD for the first time. I had used it to reset my tire sizes from the original stock setting which was much smaller than the LT275/70R18 that I'm actually running now. I also was able to program the truck's headlights to keep the low beams on when running the high beams, and lastly, I also was able to turn off the TPMS idiot light on the dash. After resetting the tire size, I fueled up the truck and have been patiently watching the MPG on the truck's on board computer and today I topped off the tank again and calculated my MPG by hand.

Right after resetting the tire size I felt a noticeable improvement in acceleration from total stop up to city driving speeds. The 6 speed auto tranny also seemed to be shifting smoother too. I had also made the following observations:

My first couple of trips from Dayton, NV to Carson City, which is about 13 miles 1-way, the on board computer (OBC) was trying to "re-learn" my truck and the MPG's initially were showing wide swinging changes from as high as 19 city MPG to as low as 12 city MPG. But after making 4 round trips to Reno (about 41 miles 1-way from home to my office) the OBC settled down and the new readings stabilized. It now consistently shows to be getting 16 to 17 MPG highway readings and the wide high/low swing changes have stopped.

Today's fuel stop was impressive as compared to prior fuel stops and MPG calculations. Prior to the tire size updates, I was consistently getting 13-14 MPG (with occasional 16-17 MPG's on long trips) on the OBC and 12-13 MPG's when I manually calculated the MPG. (miles driven, divided by gallons to top off = MPG). Today's noted miles driven was 301.5 divided by 19.143 gallons = 15.75 MPG.

I can't help but feel that resetting the correct tire size is helping the OBC manage the transmission shift points better for a more efficient operation, thus helping to improve my MPG's. This is an extra benefit that I wasn't expecting. The main thing I was looking for was to have the speedometer read correctly. Prior to the update, if I was traveling at an indicated 60 MPH, I was actually going 66 MPH. Now I have a correct indication on my speedo.

So in closing, I am very happy with the AlfaOBD and being able to make the resets to my truck. I love the more accurate speedo readings and am really happy with the improved lighting from my aftermarket quad headlights now that the low beams will stay on when I activate the high beams.

Oh and being able to shut off the TPMS idiot light has been a great help too. (The TPMS system hasn't worked on my truck since the day I bought it 3 years ago. And I won't spend the $1,500 to $3,500 to get a new one installed. My truckers air pressure gauge works just fine for checking the air pressure.)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last Thanksgiving weekend (11/25/2020) I added a new post about how I had gotten a new smartphone and finally got to use the AlfaOBD for the first time. I had used it to reset my tire sizes from the original stock setting which was much smaller than the LT275/70R18 that I'm actually running now. I also was able to program the truck's headlights to keep the low beams on when running the high beams, and lastly, I also was able to turn off the TPMS idiot light on the dash. After resetting the tire size, I fueled up the truck and have been patiently watching the MPG on the truck's on board computer and today I topped off the tank again and calculated my MPG by hand.

Right after resetting the tire size I felt a noticeable improvement in acceleration from total stop up to city driving speeds. The 6 speed auto tranny also seemed to be shifting smoother too. I had also made the following observations:

My first couple of trips from Dayton, NV to Carson City, which is about 13 miles 1-way, the on board computer (OBC) was trying to "re-learn" my truck and the MPG's initially were showing wide swinging changes from as high as 19 city MPG to as low as 12 city MPG. But after making 4 round trips to Reno (about 41 miles 1-way from home to my office) the OBC settled down and the new readings stabilized. It now consistently shows to be getting 16 to 17 MPG highway readings and the wide high/low swing changes have stopped.

Today's fuel stop was impressive as compared to prior fuel stops and MPG calculations. Prior to the tire size updates, I was consistently getting 13-14 MPG (with occasional 16-17 MPG's on long trips) on the OBC and 12-13 MPG's when I manually calculated the MPG. (miles driven, divided by gallons to top off = MPG). Today's noted miles driven was 301.5 divided by 19.143 gallons = 15.75 MPG.

I can't help but feel that resetting the correct tire size is helping the OBC manage the transmission shift points better for a more efficient operation, thus helping to improve my MPG's. This is an extra benefit that I wasn't expecting. The main thing I was looking for was to have the speedometer read correctly. Prior to the update, if I was traveling at an indicated 60 MPH, I was actually going 66 MPH. Now I have a correct indication on my speedo.

So in closing, I am very happy with the AlfaOBD and being able to make the resets to my truck. I love the more accurate speedo readings and am really happy with the improved lighting from my aftermarket quad headlights now that the low beams will stay on when I activate the high beams.

Oh and being able to shut off the TPMS idiot light has been a great help too. (The TPMS system hasn't worked on my truck since the day I bought it 3 years ago. And I won't spend the $1,500 to $3,500 to get a new one installed. My truckers air pressure gauge works just fine for checking the air pressure.)
What settings did you change to run the keep the low beams on when high beams were on?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you read my post from 11/25/2020?
Now you guys have to disable the fog drop out and you can have all three like me with led fogs. Your post does remind me that I need to change from factory tires to 275 65 20 I think I’m a mph off atm.