AlphaOBD and DTE correction for 51 gal Tank Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5thwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I have been checking all the AlphaOBD threads but I can't recall any detailed information on changing the DTE gallon preset.
I plan on changing my OEM tank to a Titan underbelly replacement tank. I would then need to change the DTE preset value to match the new tank size. Looking for help or a video on performing this change if anyone knows of one.

Thanks
ram5thwheel

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I have been checking all the AlphaOBD threads but I can't recall any detailed information on changing the DTE gallon preset.
I plan on changing my OEM tank to a Titan underbelly replacement tank. I would then need to change the DTE preset value to match the new tank size. Looking for help or a video on performing this change if anyone knows of one.

Thanks
ram5thwheel

Did this work for you? I’m looking at doing the same upgrade on my 2018 2500

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ram5thwheel

ram5thwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO

DOT,

I have not taken any action as of yet. Consequently, I have held off with the purchase and installation of the extended capacity tank.

Have not received an input from other sources whether this works or not. I might just plug into my BCM the value for the replacement tank and run for a while to see how the DTE calculation performs. I can always restore it back to its original value.

Will post any results if and when I take a shot at it.

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
DOT,

I have not taken any action as of yet. Consequently, I have held off with the purchase and installation of the extended capacity tank.

Have not received an input from other sources whether this works or not. I might just plug into my BCM the value for the replacement tank and run for a while to see how the DTE calculation performs. I can always restore it back to its original value.

Will post any results if and when I take a shot at it.

Got it. Will do the same if I give it a go

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

I have seen many threads on this across other boards but don't think anyone has been successful yet?

Pretty sure if you go to a larger tank you will just have to live with it being "off"

OP
OP
ram5thwheel

ram5thwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I have seen many threads on this across other boards but don't think anyone has been successful yet?

Pretty sure if you go to a larger tank you will just have to live with it being "off"

mtnrider,

That is unfortunate if true. I know that with a Ford, they send a programmer with the tank with specific instructions on how to make the change and then you send the programmer back. When I spoke with the manufacturer, they were still working on the RAM but that was this past summer.

Post any updates if anyone tries this change. Thanks!

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
When you get the new tank you connect to alfaobd and change the tank size. Crappy part is its in liters. Luckily the conversion is
1 gallon = 3.7854 liters.

3.7854×26 = 98.4L

55 gallon tank would be:
3.7854x55 = 208.2L

Once you flash the new tank size the truck will Calc the rest for you such as DTE etc.

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
When you get the new tank you connect to alfaobd and change the tank size. Crappy part is its in liters. Luckily the conversion is

3.7854×26 = 98.4L

55 gallon tank would be:
3.7854x55 = 208.2L

Once you flash the new tank size the truck will Calc the rest for you such as DTE etc.

Thanks. There also seems to be a tank size flash option in my EZ Lynk. Going to do the tank install once I get closer to “E”.

OP
OP
ram5thwheel

ram5thwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO

3.7854×26 = 98.4L

55 gallon tank would be:
3.7854x55 = 208.2L

In looking at the tank size option, you have a range from 32-290 L. (This according to my truck). Current value entered is 117.000 Liters which correlates to 30.9081 Gallons US.

In looking at the S&B replacement tank, supposed capacity is 52 Gallons US. That converts to 196.8414 Liters which is the value that I would enter for the new DTE calculation.

This is what I might try short of purchasing and installing a new tank just in case.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
In looking at the tank size option, you have a range from 32-290 L. (This according to my truck). Current value entered is 117.000 Liters which correlates to 30.9081 Gallons US.

In looking at the S&B replacement tank, supposed capacity is 52 Gallons US. That converts to 196.8414 Liters which is the value that I would enter for the new DTE calculation.

This is what I might try short of purchasing and installing a new tank just in case.

The change in alfa will work as expected.

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I saw that. I wonder if an employee was expected to hand calc that value and program the trucks. Would be an excellent reason why some owners EVIC aren't anywhere close to actual milage.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Guys this is from another thread I just posted to but it relates to this one I think. It had a max capacity of 254 Liters you could enter but since my tank is only 32g. I put in 121 Liters.

Theres a few threads on this matter which I have posted on about using AlphaOBD app to recalibrate the CLUSTER readings of the gauge to coincide with actual fuel level.
Like others my fuel light would come on @ 50 mile range. When I would fill it would only take 26. At most it took 29 and that was with the gauge on E hard for 25+ miles. My 2018 CTDHO truck has the 32 gal tank.

So I went into the Body module using ALPHAOBD and changed some settings. One thing was the capacity to 121 liters (32 g) . I also changed the Cluster Calibration percentage readings for FULL, LFW, & EMPTY to the highest for full, and lowest for empty and the LFW I think I set to 2 or 5%.

I ran a test initially after the recal. I filled the tank and ran it down to 1/4 tank on the gauge. Upon filling, from 1/4 to half it took 8.2 gallons. I continued to fill to half and it took another 8 gallons. The to full it took another 8. Since it's a 32 gallon tank it looked pretty promising my gauge is accurate.

Final test I ran it empty yesterday. the 50 mile range light came on with the needle in the red. I continued to run it until the needle was down to E and range wouldn't give miles anymore. I filled the tank yesterday morning and sure enough the pump clicked off at 31.7 gallons with me able to top it off with 32.2 gallons. I don't normally top off but I wanted to see how much more I could squeeze in.

Conclusion problem solved for me. I'm going to run this tank low again and see if it has the same results.

screenshot_20201221-162714_alfaobd-jpg.234440

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Guys this is from another thread I just posted to but it relates to this one I think. It had a max capacity of 254 Liters you could enter but since my tank is only 32g. I put in 121 Liters.

Theres a few threads on this matter which I have posted on about using AlphaOBD app to recalibrate the CLUSTER readings of the gauge to coincide with actual fuel level.
Like others my fuel light would come on @ 50 mile range. When I would fill it would only take 26. At most it took 29 and that was with the gauge on E hard for 25+ miles. My 2018 CTDHO truck has the 32 gal tank.

So I went into the Body module using ALPHAOBD and changed some settings. One thing was the capacity to 121 liters (32 g) . I also changed the Cluster Calibration percentage readings for FULL, LFW, & EMPTY to the highest for full, and lowest for empty and the LFW I think I set to 2 or 5%.

I ran a test initially after the recal. I filled the tank and ran it down to 1/4 tank on the gauge. Upon filling, from 1/4 to half it took 8.2 gallons. I continued to fill to half and it took another 8 gallons. The to full it took another 8. Since it's a 32 gallon tank it looked pretty promising my gauge is accurate.

Final test I ran it empty yesterday. the 50 mile range light came on with the needle in the red. I continued to run it until the needle was down to E and range wouldn't give miles anymore. I filled the tank yesterday morning and sure enough the pump clicked off at 31.7 gallons with me able to top it off with 32.2 gallons. I don't normally top off but I wanted to see how much more I could squeeze in.

Conclusion problem solved for me. I'm going to run this tank low again and see if it has the same results.

Great info, didn’t know you could also change the percentage readings.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

That is only one of the locations to change it in. Notice the important part of the heading ECUconfig.

I was changing it from the VehConfig 3. My understanding is they all have to match.
And yes you can see my values go all the way to 290L.

Screenshot_20210124-203531_AlfaOBD.jpg

Now I'm gonna have to go through this damn app and find every place that needs error correction.

I think human error from the factory is the culprit. Someone either forgot the truck had a 26 gallon, 32 gallon or couldn't convert gallons to liters.

DOT

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
mtnrider,

That is unfortunate if true. I know that with a Ford, they send a programmer with the tank with specific instructions on how to make the change and then you send the programmer back. When I spoke with the manufacturer, they were still working on the RAM but that was this past summer.

Post any updates if anyone tries this change. Thanks!

Got the larger tank installed and was able to change the capacity using AlphaOBD. Best I can tell the gauge is now reading accurately for the larger capacity.

OP
OP
ram5thwheel

ram5thwheel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Got the larger tank installed and was able to change the capacity using AlphaOBD. Best I can tell the gauge is now reading accurately for the larger capacity.

Did you do the install yourself of have it done? After the install, did you change the capacity values in both locations per the comments above?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990