AlphaOBD or Tazer borrow/rent in Eastern WA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wright4thepow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone in the NW or specifically Eastern Washington/N. Idaho be willing to let me use their alpha obd or tazer to turn off the DRL on my Canadian Ram 1500? I will pay for the time/useage.
I really wanna shut that off but can't justify the software cost for just that. Sounds like dealerships can't do it so this is my options. Thanks.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure what you're willing to pay someone to do it but the alfaobd app is $50, a Bluetooth obd adapter can be bought for about $25 and depending upon the year of the truck a security gateway bypass harness is about $25. So for right around $100 you can do it yourself and still be able to make future changes along with havibg a decent code reader for diagnostics

OP
OP
W

wright4thepow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why would you want to turn it off?
Honestly I don't like the idea that I can't ever turn the headlights off. Plus it really takes away from the great led halo effect the truck has. But it's not a huge deal. That why even $100 seems like a lot to pay to shut it off.

OP
OP
W

wright4thepow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what you're willing to pay someone to do it but the alfaobd app is $50, a Bluetooth obd adapter can be bought for about $25 and depending upon the year of the truck a security gateway bypass harness is about $25. So for right around $100 you can do it yourself and still be able to make future changes along with havibg a decent code reader for diagnostics
Yes you are right. It's not a big expense to just invest in. For now for one minor change, was hoping not to have to spend that much though. But I might have to anyway. Thanks for the response.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You would need someone with AlfaOBD to do it for you.

AlfaOBD is passive. It allows you to change the settings in the BCM so they are permanent.

The Tazer is an active unit and has to stay installed for any changes to work. It "intercepts" the requests/signals and make the appropriate changes based on what you've set in the Tazer unit.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You would need someone with AlfaOBD to do it for you.

AlfaOBD is passive. It allows you to change the settings in the BCM so they are permanent.

The Tazer is an active unit and has to stay installed for any changes to work. It "intercepts" the requests/signals and make the appropriate changes based on what you've set in the Tazer unit.
That's actually not quite right. The Tazer is both active and passive, but it is VIN locked for any passive features, you have to unmarry it before it can be used on another vehicle. It is "active" for things like auto-fold mirrors, light shows etc but DRL and other features it is passive and does not need to remain plugged in.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Good to know. Thanks for the correction.

I have not used the TazerDT. I have AlfaOBD which is not VIN-matched so you can jump from truck to truck (and back) without issue.

OP
OP
W

wright4thepow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just following up, I bought this off Amazon, a bypass from koda and used Alfaobd to shut off the Canadian drl. Worked great. Super handy tool.
Screenshot_2022-11-19-16-28-48-81_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg