Amp power step question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 sport crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, new to forum first post. I want to install power steps on 2012 Ram Sport 1500 4x4 crew, and was wondering if someone would have any pictures of installed power steps. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Richard

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Welcome to RF. I moved this to the exterior since its about exteriors steps. 0212353 has power steps. I know he has pics and video but not sure about install pics though

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm gonna pull the trigger on these soon. My gf can't get in my truck anymore lol. Trying to find the best price on them though. Where did you pick yours up at?

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've been interested in power steps for almost ten years, but have never pulled the plug because....

Out of ten people, for every two people who rave about their power steps, I hear of another eight who loathe them and have buyer's remorse.

Even several dealerships have advised me against power steps over the years. Several.

Just throwing it out there...

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
what were the negatives you've heard?

Tapatalk Addict

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
what were the negatives you've heard?

From previous owners AND dealerships, often the same tune is whistled --

1. Steps often do NOT retract or extend ALL the way..... especially in low-temp weather due to exposed actuators/motors.

2. Steps often do NOT retract or extend AT ALL..... especially in low-temp weather due to exposed actuators/motors.

3. Poor installation hardware that often does NOT support adequate weight.

4. Poor alignment from one end of the board to the other.

.... among others.

For how much these things cost - Google them if you're not sure of their cost - then you should have next to no problems whatsoever for many, many years!

For the record, there's a popular thread/discussion online about AMP Research on another Ram forum and the issues. Google it.

Like I often tell people, unless it's an obvious life's neccessity, then research the beejessuss out of [just about] everything you spend your hard on dollars on..... B4 you spend it!

Good luck.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am happy with my Bestop PowerBoards, which from what I have heard are identical to the Amps. Sure they are expensive and sometimes finicky, but when you have to have steps and don't want to see them all the time, these are your only option. Bestop customer service is great by the way.

Grubrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
yeah they are super expensive

That's being very nice and a little conservative

Not too much under $1500.00 shipped for the stainless steel model of the AMP Research for the 4th Gen Crew Rams is more than "super expensive".... it's bordering on robbery!

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do have the LED lights and a 3 year warranty... Looks like Amp has a 5 year...