Andersen hitch with air suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I don't think any of you guys have tried this with a 2500 with factory air. Hooking the trailer to it with the truck off will cause like 3" of sag. There are no springs supporting the load, only the air bags. No way you could get meaningful numbers trying to adjust a WDH like that. 1 ton's have leaf springs, and 3/4 ton's w/o the factory air have coil springs.

Remember, when you follow the steps I posted the truck is aired up normal ride height. Do not set it to an alt ride height or air down.
When you try it take pictures of your measurements.
We can text back and forth all day, but I think you need to try it and get the weights. The scale tickets will be the most revealing instead of assuming.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Remember, when you follow the steps I posted the truck is aired up normal ride height. Do not set it to an alt ride height or air down.
Again, I don't think you understand how a 2500 with factory air works. At normal ride height and the truck off, the truck will sag several inches once the trailer is on the ball. You cannot setup a WDH like that.

With your 1 ton, the air suspension doesn't even come into play until you have at least 600lbs of tongue weight and/or payload.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Again, I don't think you understand how a 2500 with factory air works. At normal ride height and the truck off, the truck will sag several inches once the trailer is on the ball. You cannot setup a WDH like that.

With your 1 ton, the air suspension doesn't even come into play until you have at least 600lbs of tongue weight and/or payload.
Yeah, it will sag with the trailer lowered on it. So does a 1500, or 2500 for that matter. That's partly why you're using a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM!!! It's to redistribute that tongue weight to the front axle and to the rear trailer axles.
I fully understand how airride works. It's you that doesn't understand how a weight distribution system works. And I said all I can say. For you to understand it's time for you to try it so you can see it. Obviously me explaining isn't working.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, it will sag with the trailer lowered on it. So does a 1500, or 2500 for that matter.
You just don't seem to be able to understand. The 1500 or 2500 without factory air have springs to take the load, so they will not sag anywhere near what I'm talking about. Do you have actual experience with a 2500 with factory air and setting up a WDH?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You just don't seem to be able to understand. The 1500 or 2500 without factory air have springs to take the load, so they will not sag anywhere near what I'm talking about. Do you have actual experience with a 2500 with factory air and setting up a WDH?

The air ride IS your spring. It's literally called an "Air Spring".
Here I found a video for you to watch. He will show you how to disable the air ride by going into the menu and selecting TIRE JACK mode before lowering the trailer. 2:58 in the video

If what myself, others here, manufacturers, and now this video showing you doesn'tmake sense, then I guess you'll not get it until you do it yourself.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
“Again, I don't think you understand how a 2500 with factory air works. At normal ride height and the truck off, the truck will sag several inches once the trailer is on the ball. You cannot setup a WDH like that.”

That’s exactly how you properly set up a WDH. Find the sag, eliminate it with your WDH then let the suspension fine tune

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

That’s exactly how you properly set up a WDH. Find the sag, eliminate it with your WDH then let the suspension fine tune
Above a certain tongue weight, it's expected that there will be a few inches of sag; that's why they make WDH's - to help get rid of the sag by transferring a lot of that weight back to the front axle.

If I put 1000 pounds of weight on my hitch, my truck is going to squat. If it squats 3-inches, I will use the WDH to bring it back to within about 1/2" of where it was before I started because that's probably about as close as I can get it. After that, if I had air bags, I would just use them to level the body out the rest of the way but that is not transferring any more weight up front; it's only for aesthetics to make it "look" better and to help it possibly ride a little smoother.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The air ride IS your spring. It's literally called an "Air Spring".
Here I found a video for you to watch. He will show you how to disable the air ride by going into the menu and selecting TIRE JACK mode before lowering the trailer. 2:58 in the video
I'm talking about a 2500. Very different factory air system.
If what myself, others here, manufacturers, and now this video showing you doesn'tmake sense, then I guess you'll not get it until you do it yourself.
So I gather you don't have any experience with a 2500 with factory air.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The proper technique to set a WDH is the same for coil, leaf or air bag.
The principle to distribute the weight between the truck and trailer frames are the same.
Looking level and having weight distributed level are entirely different.
With all due respect, if you want someone to tell you want to hear you should probably talk to a salesman..