Another 4.7 Engine Tick - Anything else to try before engine rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Have your repair shop perform a Bore Scan on the engine. Sounds like piston slap.

Lysergic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Tradesman 4x4
Engine
4.7L V8
My 2012 4.7 with 230K miles has ticked on startup forever. Goes away after about a minute. Idle is fine. Mileage is great too. At this point in the life of the truck, I just keep up with regular 5K oil changes, maintenance, and fluids. Original transmission too.

If it explodes one day, I'll have it rebuilt.

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tick was a couple lifters failing. It seams as a couple oil passages are clogged on mine and starve the lifters. They fail and a rocker arm comes out from under the camshaft. I am about to replace the engine if Jasper will have any available. They are back ordered right now.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tick was a couple lifters failing. It seams as a couple oil passages are clogged on mine and starve the lifters. They fail and a rocker arm comes out from under the camshaft. I am about to replace the engine if Jasper will have any available. They are back ordered right now.
Sounds like a good theory.... however, The more common reason for the lifters to fall out of the bores is that the valve seat comes out of the head, holds the valve open, and the excess clearance allows the oil pressure to push the lifter out.

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a good theory.... however, The more common reason for the lifters to fall out of the bores is that the valve seat comes out of the head, holds the valve open, and the excess clearance allows the oil pressure to push the lifter out.
I have the hydraulic tappet lifter and find sludge around the diameter of it when I pull a failed one.

Attachments

• passenger valve train.jpg
    passenger valve train.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Rocker and tappet.jpg
    Rocker and tappet.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 8

djcocanougher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is usually the 6th or 8th cylinder that does this on the exhaust side lifter/ tappet. I have replaced them with Meller but have had them fail again. I think my problem is oil starvation to those tappets because it did it again after 4 weeks of normal driving. I don't think it's the seat as I have to pull them out with pliers to remove the failed tappet. They will also not compress or move once I have removed them to test the insides by compressing (or lack thereof) them.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is usually the 6th or 8th cylinder that does this on the exhaust side lifter/ tappet. I have replaced them with Meller but have had them fail again. I think my problem is oil starvation to those tappets because it did it again after 4 weeks of normal driving. I don't think it's the seat as I have to pull them out with pliers to remove the failed tappet. They will also not compress or move once I have removed them to test the insides by compressing (or lack thereof) them.
Its a 4.7 they sludge up you need to run seafoam in the oil I usually let it idle for a hour and change the oil had to do this every single oil change also make sure to do a oil change every 3-4k No longer have worked on tons of 4.7 engines.

FlyingRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter
2012 4.7 liter with 97k miles. I’ve Had tick for last 10k miles. Assumed it was exhaust, as tick would fade as engine warmed up, but would also come back at idle sometimes even at operating temperature. The last oil change I added 18 oz of LubeGuard with LXE with my regular 5w20 Castrol Edge and Mopar Filter and the tick is gone. Literally faded away in about 5 seconds after startup post oil change. I’ve driven it about 200 miles since and the tick hasn’t returned. It’s not my daily driver but I’ll update as mileage increases or anything changes. At this point I’m planning on using LubeGuard on all subsequent changes. A qt is about $20 on Amazon.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2005 5.7 engine had the hemi tick, it was the lifters. Also had the exhaust tick which I fixed by putting headers on it after getting broken bolts out.