Another LED thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockBottom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I apologize if this has already been covered. I’ve attempted to upgrade my stock halogens to LED. High beams work fine and drl also. Fog lights no problem. Low beams work until I start the truck then cut out pretty quick. The lights I bought came with CANBUS. Now the manufacturer suggests I buy resistors also. Everything I’ve read says these resistors run very hot. How are guys mounting these when the headlight housing is an all plastic sealed unit? The resistor they recommend is a CAS-TWO which looks to be a resistor inside a plastic case. Do they run cool enough to put inside the housing? My truck is a 2019 Ram classic . Side note: I used the exact same lights to upgrade my last truck a 2017 ram express with no problems. These 2 trucks are near identical aside from 8 speed,hood and tailgate so it’s left me scratching my head.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Alfaobd Android or windows app and obdlink mx bluetooth adaptor, set all your lights to led and then ya dont need any of that canbus stuff.
Lotta threads going on about this lately. I just bought it for my hid lows.
Some of the canbus stuff works on some trucks and not on others but most seem to have no issues ridding the canbus adaptors and just using the alfaobd programing stuff.

Last edited:

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I apologize if this has already been covered. I’ve attempted to upgrade my stock halogens to LED. High beams work fine and drl also. Fog lights no problem. Low beams work until I start the truck then cut out pretty quick. The lights I bought came with CANBUS. Now the manufacturer suggests I buy resistors also. Everything I’ve read says these resistors run very hot. How are guys mounting these when the headlight housing is an all plastic sealed unit? The resistor they recommend is a CAS-TWO which looks to be a resistor inside a plastic case. Do they run cool enough to put inside the housing? My truck is a 2019 Ram classic . Side note: I used the exact same lights to upgrade my last truck a 2017 ram express with no problems. These 2 trucks are near identical aside from 8 speed,hood and tailgate so it’s left me scratching my head.
No offense but use the search function and look up led headlights. You will be up until tomorrow afternoon reading.....

OP
OP
R

RockBottom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Cableman I had no idea the truck could be programmed. And no offence taken KC. Besides if nobody posted what would you do with all your free time? 250 posts in 4 months !! lmao

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks Cableman I had no idea the truck could be programmed. And no offence taken KC. Besides if nobody posted what would you do with all your free time? 250 posts in 4 months !! lmao
So that averages out to be 2 posts a day, be careful or you will go over the limit.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used Heise LEDs, I did use their decoder, but its plug and play. I got 4, two for lows and two for LEDs...never one issue.

OP
OP
R

RockBottom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so that's an obdlink mx,a $50 app and I run apple phone and tablet :(
Anyone happen to know a Ram owner lives in the Fraser Valley, British Columbia with
deeper pockets than mine???

OP
OP
R

RockBottom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone tried taking this to the dealer for them to change the program?

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so that's an obdlink mx,a $50 app and I run apple phone and tablet :(
Anyone happen to know a Ram owner lives in the Fraser Valley, British Columbia with
deeper pockets than mine???
So close...but not close enough, I'm in the Comox Valley and have it.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Has anyone tried taking this to the dealer for them to change the program?

I doubt any dealer is inclined to go in to make those changes.

I'm guessing you have a 2019 Classic? If you do, then you have to add in the security bypass harness that will allow the AlfaOBD app to work....

OP
OP
R

RockBottom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I doubt any dealer is inclined to go in to make those changes.

I'm guessing you have a 2019 Classic? If you do, then you have to add in the security bypass harness that will allow the AlfaOBD app to work....

Yes its the classic... and great! Another $50 . Drilling a hole in the dustcap's looking more like a reality. Or back to halogen for lowbeams for now. Getting to work for 5am in the rain with led fogs and drl's currently :( it's still an improvement from stock lights but not sure what a cop would have to say about it....

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yes its the classic... and great! Another $50 . Drilling a hole in the dustcap's looking more like a reality. Or back to halogen for lowbeams for now. Getting to work for 5am in the rain with led fogs and drl's currently :( it's still an improvement from stock lights but not sure what a cop would have to say about it....
You could upgrade the Halogens to H9's, I think you have H11's now? They are brighter. But my Heise H11's fit under the dust cap.

OP
OP
R

RockBottom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could upgrade the Halogens to H9's, I think you have H11's now? They are brighter. But my Heise H11's fit under the dust cap.

Ya I suppose if I'm pulling the front end apart again and don't find a solution to the led's I might aswell find the brightest halogen for now. I looked for Heise on Amazon.ca and they look to be only available in the US...

And Nice truck btw!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Dang that's crazy, well try the H9, Google H9 to H11 mod, they are much brighter halogen.

And thank you!

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
OR another option, look at the Vision X bulbs that have a higher wattage rating and give them a try....

Headlight Revolution had them on their sight...

Dantra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$20 worth of decoders may fix the issue. I installed Hikaris Ultra LEDs in my lows without issue (prior to getting Alfa) Not sure if they play as nicely with a '19 tho. I still had to use decoders on my fogs after using ALfa to turn the LED fogs on.. Had radio interference with the fogs and the decoders cured it.

I will say the AlfaOBD is pretty damn cool tho. If you picked up a cheap Android tablet and the bypass works on 19s, you could make it work.

One thing that sold me on Alfa aside from being able to turn on LEDs.. able to disable the fog light drop out when highs are on. Meaning my fogs stay on with my high beams. I've always hated the fogs not working with highs. It makes no sense!

Last edited:

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Dang that's crazy, well try the H9, Google H9 to H11 mod, they are much brighter halogen.

This is what I did for mine. I have a 2015 and after reading about all of the issues with 2015's and LED's, I just did the H9 mod. Very easy and surprisingly cheap.

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RockBottom,

I pondered for over a year what to do about the crappy halogen headlights. I found a video that broke it all down and chose to buy from Headlight Revolution and replace everything with their LED's. I wanted to keep my original housings because I like the way they look. My low beam and fogs are the Supernova V.4 and the high beams are GTR's. I did not have to drill any dust caps and everything fit behind them. I have been running them for about 6 months now and will never go back to halogens. I highly recommend Headlight Revolution and the lights they sell.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
RockBottom,

I pondered for over a year what to do about the crappy halogen headlights. I found a video that broke it all down and chose to buy from Headlight Revolution and replace everything with their LED's. I wanted to keep my original housings because I like the way they look. My low beam and fogs are the Supernova V.4 and the high beams are GTR's. I did not have to drill any dust caps and everything fit behind them. I have been running them for about 6 months now and will never go back to halogens. I highly recommend Headlight Revolution and the lights they sell.

+1 for HR. Been running the GTR 55W HIDs from them and couldn’t be happier.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963