Antislip differential / Electronic stability control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigp95

Reaction score
Ram Year
None now
Engine
None now
I'm new to this forum and if I buy a 1500 it'll be my first Dodge in close to 40 years. I'm looking for any info, opinions, advise, help, etc that I can get. I've been to the dealership several times and am looking for validation of some of thin info I've received.

1. I wanted to get what we called posi-track back when, and now Ram calls it antispin defferential. The truck I was looking at didn't have that, but I was told that TRACTION CONTROL is included in the ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL group and provides the same benefit as the antispin differential. Would you agree with that?

2. I believe I have a 3.42 rear end in my GMC and the stock Ram has 3.21. Will I be ok towing a 21' boat and utility trailer with the 3.21.

3. I'm thinking about the Bighorn and I'd appreciate any impressions, insights, praises or gripes you have with the 2014 Ram 1500.

Thanks Craig

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Hi I'll try to help!
1. Traction control is good but from what I have read on here the anti spin rear end is amazing.

2. I test drove a 2014 with the 3.21 rear end. I didn't like it at all, I found it to not be nearly as quick off the line as I wanted. If you want good fuel mileage and won't tow a lot go with the 3.21. If you want a quicker truck that will handle trailers better than the 3.92 would be better for you in my opinion. I'm buying a new one and getting the 3.92's in it because I want to run larger tires and I will be towing more.

3. I don't have a 2014 so I can't really add Input but I have driven a 2013 bighorn and it was nice!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

tsunamilogan05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a 14 and I think they upgraded the 3.21s to 3.55s. Someone may correct me but I did get the upgraded to the 3.92s and the lsd plus traction control. I've had a truck without an lsd which essentially left me with 1wd lol. Ended up putting a trutrac in and ever since loved and will always get an lsd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

MyRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello Craig, welcome to the forum! I am a new member also. I bought my first Ram truck about a month ago and have about 1,100 miles on it now.

I got a 1500, 4x4, 5.7 Hemi SLT Big Horn and I really like it!

1. No, PosiTrac (known as an anti-spin diff on the Ram trucks) is not the same as Traction Control. They serve different purposes. I would highly recommended the anti-slip option.

2. Kind of depends on the trans you get, the eight speed auto helps level the playing field with rear gears a little bit. I would still recommend the 3.92 rear for any serious towing or if you like faster starts/acceleration.

3. I think you'll be happy with the new Big Horn, it is very well optioned and is a nice, well built truck!

Jeff