Any one ever re-negotiate price on an ordered truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPDKLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited Mega Cab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ordered my 2500 4x4 Mega Cab Limited truck on Jan 21st. I finally got a call today saying it was on a train near Houston, TX and would be off-loaded this week, set up on a transporter and should arrive and be ready for pick up by next Wed, the 18th.

I worked the deal and from an original MSRP of $61,500, got the price down to $52,250. I did not know of this board and did my own separate research to get that price...it took visiting four dealers to get the price I wanted.

However, now that I have been on here for about seven weeks and learned of Dillon (in IA???), I figure I could have got the truck for about another grand off.

Has anyone ever re-negotiated the price once your truck arrived or is that just immoral? I figure I got a pretty good deal and it is a special order so maybe I should leave it as is, but I do see some folks getting $10k, $11k and even $13k off and figure I can do the same-esp when I have no issue buying out of state and using air miles to get it. I already sold my last truck, but have been in a loaner from the dealer for almost six weeks since they told me my truck was arriving on X day and it did not. I had already sold the truck based on the date they gave, so they put me in a loaner...second one so far since they want it kept at about 500 miles give or take. I guess after all that, re-negotiating is almost unethical, but this is a business deal and they are not my friends.

Thoughts?

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I ordered my 2500 4x4 Mega Cab Limited truck on Jan 21st. I finally got a call today saying it was on a train near Houston, TX and would be off-loaded this week, set up on a transporter and should arrive and be ready for pick up by next Wed, the 18th.

I worked the deal and from an original MSRP of $61,500, got the price down to $52,250. I did not know of this board and did my own separate research to get that price...it took visiting four dealers to get the price I wanted.

However, now that I have been on here for about seven weeks and learned of Dillon (in IA???), I figure I could have got the truck for about another grand off.

Has anyone ever re-negotiated the price once your truck arrived or is that just immoral? I figure I got a pretty good deal and it is a special order so maybe I should leave it as is, but I do see some folks getting $10k, $11k and even $13k off and figure I can do the same-esp when I have no issue buying out of state and using air miles to get it. I already sold my last truck, but have been in a loaner from the dealer for almost six weeks since they told me my truck was arriving on X day and it did not. I had already sold the truck based on the date they gave, so they put me in a loaner...second one so far since they want it kept at about 500 miles give or take. I guess after all that, re-negotiating is almost unethical, but this is a business deal and they are not my friends.

Thoughts?

The deal you originally got is a good one. Could you possible have done better locally, perhaps. However, you do have a truck just like you wanted and it is being delivered close to you with minimal miles. (3-5 unless it was pulled out for product testing and then at the most 60-70)

If the rebates are better now than they were in January, you should insist they honor the new rebates. The fact that they've put you in a couple loaners for that many miles should count for something too. Dennis Dillion is in Idaho and the flight and return miles and fuel would certainly eat up a good portion of the $ you could possibly save. Some of their prices take into account every incentive and most don't qualify for everything.

Finally, you won't be servicing or needing warranty work from DD, but from a dealership close by. I know the dealership should service you no matter where you bought, but burning that bridge certainly won't endear you to the dealership. If you fly to Idaho and then need warranty work or heaven forbid "lemon law" service, you may find your local dealership not wanting to go the extra mile for you.

Just my thoughts.

Sam22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with sweetee on this. You already have a great price. I looked at buying from Dillon, but by the time you factor everything in my local dealer gave me a fair price.

Plus my local dealer really treats his return customers well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I think in reading this (and other) forums, you'll always find someone who got a "better" deal.

In the end, you were obviously happy with the deal you made originally, so I wouldn't beat yourself up because you think you could've done better. Just enjoy your beautiful new ride (don't forget to post pics lol) and don't look back!

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
A grand is pizza and beer money. I wouldn't sweat the effort plus it sounds like they've taken good care of you to this point. Seal the deal and drive the truck you custom ordered home in a week or so.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The local dealer will hate you and won't bend over backwards to service you in the future if you try and renegotiate with them. You got a great deal man, take it!

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What posts 2-6 say. You didnt say where you are located, did you? Only you can decide what your time and money are worth. I know DD makes their prices seem VERY attractive with that as low as price. The majority of people will not get that. You almost got 10k off. I think thats great and like others said, you got the exact truck you wanted. Remember , its easier to get a better price on a lot truck than ordered one. Does DD even have that on the lot? I thought about it too, Im in NY and thought about it, but then it wasnt worth it to me. Stick with what you got in my opinion.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
You got a good deal as others have said. I am actually sending in my deposit for my orders truck tomorrow morning. Same as your but is a Laramie, not limited. Getting it from Dennis Dillon and they came off $10,688.00. It will end up costing me about $600 to fly up and drive the 1000 miles home. If you can get what you want and it arrives close to home all while saving $9-$10 grand.........do it.

The closest I could get a dealer was about $6K off sticker.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
oh yeah thats another thing.... the deposit. Didnt you have to leave a non refundable one? Usually you do on an order

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Skrap , they had a leftover 14 laramie 3500(white) with 6.4 hemi 4x4 crew cab for 41k, maybe less for you, and some change in case u were interested. Thats a smoking deal. I need 4.10 axle so its a no go for me

http://www.dennisdillon.com/new/Ram/2014-Ram-3500-boise-idaho-1a684f1f0a0a00496cc18787e3128db1.htm

You got a good deal as others have said. I am actually sending in my deposit for my orders truck tomorrow morning. Same as your but is a Laramie, not limited. Getting it from Dennis Dillon and they came off $10,688.00. It will end up costing me about $600 to fly up and drive the 1000 miles home. If you can get what you want and it arrives close to home all while saving $9-$10 grand.........do it.

The closest I could get a dealer was about $6K off sticker.

Last edited:

Mitchcoog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Blacked
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say be happy with the deal. How'd you feel if your truck got there and they sold it to someone else for $1,000 more. And they told you hey nothing personal it's just business.
Don't second guess yourself you did good on the deal.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could always be very cool with dealer when you go to pick it up, then ask them if the rebates this month are better. Instead of just squeezing them on price, you could play the interested consumer. If they shoot you down, be happy about your price. If the salesman is cool he may investigate price and knock it down.
I wouldnt play hardball with them.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Skrap , they had a leftover 14 laramie 3500(white) with 6.4 hemi 4x4 crew cab for 41k, maybe less for you, and some change in case u were interested. Thats a smoking deal. I need 4.10 axle so its a no go for me

New 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie For Sale in Boise ID | 4E0699 | Serving Caldwell, Meridian, Nampa

To answer both your questions. Yes, it was a $1k non refundable but that didn't bother me much. I get why they do it. That truck you mention for $38k seems like a great price but my sticking point with a truck is that it MUST be a Mega Cab or on deal. And I am getting the 4.10 rear end as well. I had enough specific on my want list that the truck didn't exist on a lot so I ordered.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
that's a great price man. they're selling 1500 laramie crew cabs for that much here in the toronto area.

a megacab hd top trim is a steal for that negotiated price.