Any pointers on using a 2 post lift ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yves

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
All,

Looking for input on using my Atlas BP8000 two post lift to conduct some maintenance on my vehicle. I primarily use the lift to work on my SUV/sportscar, both of which have dedicated lift points on the body. No such luxury with the RAM...
A quick call to GregSmithEquipment confirmed the following :
- the lift can handle this truck. My truck is a 5.9L Larami SLT with a curb weight of 4,700 lbs
- need to look for the center of gravity point, which on my truck most likely means aligning the back of the front door with the lift post.

Anybody any input or other pointers ? Where do you put the lift arms on the frame ? Do you use the extensions ?

Thank you in advance !

garyfattmann101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 1997, 1998
Engine
when u start lifting, if truck not going up level, let it back down,before going up high. readjust lift points. u should know by time all 4 come just off floor.

code54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always lift my vehicle just off the floor and then push down on the front and rear bumpers to check and make sure it is balanced and does not slip. I then take it up a bit more and double check all my lift points by looking under it and making sure they are all firmly seated. I also place supports under the vehicle once it is up just in case something happens. Yes this is all a bit of a pain and maybe overkill but better than getting squashed like a bug,

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
- need to look for the center of gravity point, which on my truck most likely means aligning the back of the front door with the lift post.

Anybody any input or other pointers ? Where do you put the lift arms on the frame ? Do you use the extensions ?
If I remember correctly when using my buddies 2 post to lift my CC 6.4' EcoD the front doors are in the middle of the posts. The front lifting arms just barely clear the front wheels and use 4"x4" blocks to give clearance for the factory side steps.
Invest in a set of hoist jack stands if you don't own them already.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If I remember correctly when using my buddies 2 post to lift my CC 6.4' EcoD the front doors are in the middle of the posts. The front lifting arms just barely clear the front wheels and use 4"x4" blocks to give clearance for the factory side steps.
Invest in a set of hoist jack stands if you don't own them already.
I have seen a truck on a hoist pivot and roll wood blocks off of the hoist arms that were placed there for the same reason. The truck pivoted, the blocks rolled out, we crapped our pants and ran, and it dropped down on to the arms and bent the running boards. Not sure how or why, but I don't use blocks any more! Just saying.:)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have seen a truck on a hoist pivot and roll wood blocks off of the hoist arms that were placed there for the same reason. The truck pivoted, the blocks rolled out, we crapped our pants and ran, and it dropped down on to the arms and bent the running boards. Not sure how or why, but I don't use blocks any more! Just saying.:)
If a truck on a hoist pivots then it wasn't picked up correctly. You don't put anything on the arm part of a two post lift for lifting the load, any spacers go on the lifting pads.
They way the blocks are positioned between the lifting pads and the frame of my truck, there is no way that the blocks will roll anywhere.