Anybody else use Opti-Lube XPD Diesel Additive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
2016 RAM 2500 CTD with 126,000 miles. I had been using Diesel Kleen for about 6 months. Didn't really notice much of a difference in how the engine ran. I switched to XPD based on testing that showed it had significant lubricity improvement over Diesel Kleen.

I know it might sound crazy but mid-way through my first tank with XPD the engine sounds quieter and the power feels like it comes on a bit stronger and more smoothly. Not sure if it is psychological, so I was wondering if anyone else was using this additive and their impressions.

"You're nuts!" is a perfectly acceptable assessment. Of course it would be more valid if you are a current XPD user. ;-)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ok if you wish... "You're nuts!". LOL!
I would like to help but I've been using OptiLube XPD practically since day one.
There are times when it doesn't even sound like the engine is running it's that quiet, granted it is an EcoD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Thanks crash, you saved me a trip to the shrink. :)

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I used opti lube lubricity formula on my wife’s 2015 TDI Touareg from brand new to 22k when we traded it for her Pacifica. Figured it didn’t need the cleaning because it was brand new. The lubricity formula from testing was even more potent at lubing the fuel and if I remember it was more cost effective than XPD.

I could never tell, I used power kleen also. But.... my baseline was brand new engine. After the emissions update on the muthafuca it was much louder, but still drove really well.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Not sure about the power feel, buy more cetane does make a diesel engine run quieter.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use it once in a while. Have a jug of it in the garage. I honestly can't say if it does anything or not? Truck runs fine without it and have never had an issue. It's more a "feel good" for me once in a while I guess? It seems highly recommended so I'll continue to throw it in once in a while just because.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I guess if it's not harming your engine and it makes "think" it helps go for it. :insane:
All it will do is lighten your wallet.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I use Opti Lube in my tractor 100%. If I owned a diesel truck I would as well.

ocalapilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2004
Engine
Hemi and Cummins
Just curious where you all buy opti lube?

I looked for it locally here in Ocala and couldn’t find it. Haha maybe because I’m in Ocala!

I see it on Amazon. I know it sounds crazy but so much stuff on there is counterfeit or old that I didn’t buy it.

I’ve been using Diesel Kleen every tank because it’s always available locally and endorsed by Cummins.

I guess the fact that Cummins has a partnership with Diesel Kleen might have something to do with them recommending that particular brand huh?

https://www.equipmentworld.com/for-...mmends-fuel-additives-for-its-diesel-engines/

I have a Gen 3 5.9L with 109k miles.

I’d like to try the opti lube though, the Diesel Kleen smells so nasty to me that I put the half container from each fill in my bed tool box in a plastic bag.

I notice that the opti lube comes in small bottles, empty and throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshR104

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
2016 RAM 2500 CTD with 126,000 miles. I had been using Diesel Kleen for about 6 months. Didn't really notice much of a difference in how the engine ran. I switched to XPD based on testing that showed it had significant lubricity improvement over Diesel Kleen.

I know it might sound crazy but mid-way through my first tank with XPD the engine sounds quieter and the power feels like it comes on a bit stronger and more smoothly. Not sure if it is psychological, so I was wondering if anyone else was using this additive and their impressions.

"You're nuts!" is a perfectly acceptable assessment. Of course it would be more valid if you are a current XPD user. ;-)

I used to run it in my powerstroke I had a few years back and definitely noticed the same as you. For the 3 bucks I think it was a tank was worth it to me.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
chri5k

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Just curious where you all buy opti lube?

I looked for it locally here in Ocala and couldn’t find it. Haha maybe because I’m in Ocala!

I see it on Amazon. I know it sounds crazy but so much stuff on there is counterfeit or old that I didn’t buy it.

I’ve been using Diesel Kleen every tank because it’s always available locally and endorsed by Cummins.

I guess the fact that Cummins has a partnership with Diesel Kleen might have something to do with them recommending that particular brand huh?

https://www.equipmentworld.com/for-...mmends-fuel-additives-for-its-diesel-engines/

I have a Gen 3 5.9L with 109k miles.

I’d like to try the opti lube though, the Diesel Kleen smells so nasty to me that I put the half container from each fill in my bed tool box in a plastic bag.

I notice that the opti lube comes in small bottles, empty and throw away.

I bought mine through Opti-Lubes' Amazon store. Appears to be fresh genuine product. It does smell better than Diesel Kleen but still smells like fuel. Opti-Lube XPD beat the pants off Diesel Kleen in this lubricity test. Only thing better was BioDiesel.

https://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

ocalapilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2004
Engine
Hemi and Cummins
Thanks for all the replies on where to get the opti lube.

Stupid question ok?

While the opti lube is apparently better as far as lubricity, what about keeping the injectors clean, fuel pump and so on?

I know lubricity is important, but I’m sure it’s not the only criteria.

Just asking thanks.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
While the opti lube is apparently better as far as lubricity, what about keeping the injectors clean, fuel pump and so on?
The XPD version does a good swipe of everything: lube, injector clean, cetane boost, anti-gel, de-emulsifier, etc. They also offer individual formulas for lube, cetane boost, etc depending on what you want to run.

ocalapilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2004
Engine
Hemi and Cummins
Hi missed your reply I’ve been traveling for a couple days. I’ll give it a try thanks.