anyone done a timing cover gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
after spending all night replacing my tstat and water pump i found out that wasnt my problem at all and my timing cover gasket is the culpret. im trying to figure out if this is a project i should do myself or let the truck sit until i have money to fix it. what all is involved in this and has anyone found a guide for it. thanks in advance....oh yeah its the 02 5.9L

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Did a quick search and this is from a guy who did his:

Get the alternator and a/c compressor removed and out of the way for a better look, drain the coolant, take the fan and shroud off for ease of working on it, get the pump out of the way too... Remove the harmonic balancer and take the Timing Chain Cover off. Voila, you're there. Replace the gasket and change the oil just incase. You may also want to replace any other hoses/pully while it's torn apart.

JDG103

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins H.O
ive got a 5.9 and that is exactly how ya get it done

sandstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L V8
I need to replace my timing cover gasket. Any particular brand I should get? My dad was saying to go with fel-pro.

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
felpro worked good for me.

depending on your mileage i would replace the timing chain too. mine had a little slack in it at 64k. i got a mopar double roller and a mopar chain tensioner. its a nice setup.

sandstorm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9L V8
felpro worked good for me.

depending on your mileage i would replace the timing chain too. mine had a little slack in it at 64k. i got a mopar double roller and a mopar chain tensioner. its a nice setup.

How much would thr timing chain run me? I was gonna replace the waterpump while I was at it too

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
couple hundred for the mopar chain and tensioner.

there are other timing chains that are good also for alot less. i just wanted to stick with the mopar.