Anyone else with a FCW (Forward Collision Warning) problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2019 PW, Had rotator cuff surgery in Dec 2020, 1-1/2 weeks after surgery was driving under a bridge with no other vehicles around at about 40 MPH, Alert goes off and truck slams on brakes causing seat belt to re tear my newly repaired rotator cuff. Doctor is 100% sure this was a result of the FCW malfunction. This sucks. Any ideas out there on how to get Ram to own up to the issue, and possibly take some responsibility for my injury??

Call Morgan & Morgan. I bet they will know.

mchapma72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Have just got back from pulling 5th wheel to Texas and back. Truck great except that the FCW (forward collision warning) does not seem to work. This is strange in that the front sensors work magnificently for the ACC (adaptive cruise control) which works spectacularly just as described and the rear sensors have actually engaged the brakes when backing too quickly with obstructions near by so why does the FCW not work? I asked the dealer to check and they confirmed they could not get it to actuate so they called it in to the Chrysler techs whose response was (verbatim per the work order report): "FCW is considered an assistance feature only. The system is not designed to be tested (unless related fault codes exist). Please refer to forward collision warning section of owner's manual." In other words, the system does not know it is not working so there are no codes generated and the dealer should not try to check it unless there is a code! Further, it is not an active assist?! Well, then, why do you have the ability to select "warning only" or "warning with active braking"? What is the active braking - me putting my foot on the brake in time? What a joke that is, and the manual does indeed say that it is supposed to generate braking if that is selected to do so! On another forum others have indicated that their FCW engaged the brakes at highway speed with nothing in the way to seemingly cause that to happen which scared the sxxt out of them and could have caused passenger injury if not for seat belts being worn! Now that is scary! I have now set my FCW to "warning only" to eliminate (hopefully) the chance of my FCW randomly activating, though in my case, it has not ever done that either correctly or incorrectly. My dealer service rep was as bad as the Chrysler tech answer and said "well it is not an autonomous vehicle and I am supposed to be alert to fully all driving situations!" No kidding, Sherlock, but none the less, the system that they advertised, describe in the manual, and that I paid for to assist me when I don't have my main FCW (female collision warning alert) sitting in the seat beside me should be working or be deactivated/deprogrammed so that nuisance engagement does not happen! They should take it out until they have a fix/perfect it! Funny that every other driver's aid feature works great including the lane assist, parallel parking, 90 degree parking, etc. so why do they blow me off on this one! I smell a bunch of B.S. on this from Chrysler. If you have this issue please respond and maybe we can force some action to be taken on this "truck of the year"!
I'm having the same issue with my 2020 Ram 1500 Limited. Dealer doesn't know how to fix it. Told me it was working and showed me how the parking sensors worked. Dodge needs to have a technical bulletin or recall on this soon.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a 2019 PW, Had rotator cuff surgery in Dec 2020, 1-1/2 weeks after surgery was driving under a bridge with no other vehicles around at about 40 MPH, Alert goes off and truck slams on brakes causing seat belt to re tear my newly repaired rotator cuff. Doctor is 100% sure this was a result of the FCW malfunction. This sucks. Any ideas out there on how to get Ram to own up to the issue, and possibly take some responsibility for my injury??
Contignecy paid injury lawyer. From what I seen here there may even be enough to start a class action. Seems to be about the only thing FCA responds to lately.

Fnord

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4
Hi everyone, anyone has an update on this? The FCW on my 2023 1500 Classic doesn't work as well.