Anyone have a ham radio installed in their 5th generation Ram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brent-b

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just wondering about your radio and antenna installations. What model of radio did you install? Where did you install the radio and antenna? Any pics?

I'm not that active lately, but I would like to install a 2 meter in my truck. What have all of you done?

N9MRR

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get one with removable face so most of the radio mounts else where
Your local radio shop should be able to help
VA7 HYS

Scott L Napier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put my radios in the little cubby hole under the dash and used an after market cup holder as well..makes for more cup holders too. The antennas use nmo fender mounts made for our trucks.
Can't use the bed because we have a truck camper. Now to figure out the HF antenna, LOL.
radio.jpg antenna.jpg

73 KD7VKW

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Bumping the thread. I'm also interested in same subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FarmJim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm putting a Yaesu FT857D under the passenger seat on the left side. Will add an antenna tuner there as well. For a VHF/UHF antenna I'm using the mount described above. For HF I'm planning to use my ancient Hi-Q antenna. It's not in yet and I expect it to be interesting. I had an HF antenna mount made by bolting a receiver tube to the current receiver such that it passes under the left tail pipe and extend just out the box just ahead of the rear bumper. I had a step made at the same time so I use that step as a way to get in the bed.
I'm going to build some kind of mount to go over the dash in the center to hold the radio detached faceplate, an SWR meter, and an antenna tuning switch for the Hi-Q.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn.
I'm having local ham friend commercial radio guy help with routing the wires.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I'm putting a Yaesu FT857D under the passenger seat on the left side. Will add an antenna tuner there as well. For a VHF/UHF antenna I'm using the mount described above. For HF I'm planning to use my ancient Hi-Q antenna. It's not in yet and I expect it to be interesting. I had an HF antenna mount made by bolting a receiver tube to the current receiver such that it passes under the left tail pipe and extend just out the box just ahead of the rear bumper. I had a step made at the same time so I use that step as a way to get in the bed.
I'm going to build some kind of mount to go over the dash in the center to hold the radio detached faceplate, an SWR meter, and an antenna tuning switch for the Hi-Q.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn.
I'm having local ham friend commercial radio guy help with routing the wires.

Cool plans. I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to test now as my date was canceled but I wanna do it and get my 10m in and run the 11 as well. My house will be a more loaded base.

Check back when you get it done and have pics. ESP of the center bracket

Gregory McKinley

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-torque
I have the 2019 Big Horn with the full console. Definitely going to have to get creative on how to mount my 10 meter and amp. I have a good tig welder and machining skills. Always nice to see what other Ideas are out there.

Another concern is will the radio eq1uipment interfere with the truck electronics???? I have never had any trouble with any of the other vehicles I have. But I have never had anything that was this electronic fortified with all the bells and whistles.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have the 2019 Big Horn with the full console. Definitely going to have to get creative on how to mount my 10 meter and amp. I have a good tig welder and machining skills. Always nice to see what other Ideas are out there.

Another concern is will the radio eq1uipment interfere with the truck electronics???? I have never had any trouble with any of the other vehicles I have. But I have never had anything that was this electronic fortified with all the bells and whistles.

Cannot help you out but "have a good tig welder and machining skills". Definitely look forward to what you come up with!

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have some pics I can send you today or tmrw. I just installed my old Yaesu 2980r, 2 Meter only radio. Installed center console area at bottom of dash. Face detach is nice but not going to the money just to have that feature. My antenna is a lip mount antenna. I've had the setup for years on other trucks and it works great, no issues.

Forrest Alley

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001, 2020
Engine
5.9 Cummins and 6.4 Hime
I don't know anything about ham radio, but for my CB i took two L brackets bent them into a U shape, hooked them my CB mount then just hang it into the Map pocket on the side of the console.