Anyone have pics of AEV's Salta wheels with the Onyx finish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey,

I'm looking to purchase the AEV Salta wheels with the onyx finish. But, I just wanted to see how they look in the wild. If you have them please post some pics!

Buttyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the look of the wheels, but on the wheels I got, the coating can be chipped fairly easily. Not sure how durable they will be in the long run. Time will tell. I bought 5 for my truck and the tire installer chipped one. They had to be very careful with the lugs. Two of the rims also had a good deal of vertical run-out and the installer thought that those wheels might hop. They are fine though. Another thing is the trim ring. First, you have tap each one of the threads in the wheel, which makes chips happen around the perimeter of the hole. Another thing is once you install the trim ring, the wheel is scratched beneath it because there is nothing protecting the wheel from the metal of the ring. So you can never go back to no trim ring--unless you don't mind the scratches/chipped paint. Lastly, I thought the rims were US made, but they were made in China according to the box. I should have researched that better.

rgrbobbyedwards

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Power Wagon
Engine
I love the look of the wheels, but on the wheels I got, the coating can be chipped fairly easily. Not sure how durable they will be in the long run. Time will tell. I bought 5 for my truck and the tire installer chipped one. They had to be very careful with the lugs. Two of the rims also had a good deal of vertical run-out and the installer thought that those wheels might hop. They are fine though. Another thing is the trim ring. First, you have tap each one of the threads in the wheel, which makes chips happen around the perimeter of the hole. Another thing is once you install the trim ring, the wheel is scratched beneath it because there is nothing protecting the wheel from the metal of the ring. So you can never go back to no trim ring--unless you don't mind the scratches/chipped paint. Lastly, I thought the rims were US made, but they were made in China according to the box. I should have researched that better.

you're telling me that AEV rims are made in china? That definitely changes things......

trdt44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
When I was researching wheels I could not find any aftermarket cast aluminum wheels that are made in the US. If you want to spend big money there are some that make forged wheels here. Even Trail Ready is making their flowform cast wheels overseas.

Rick Ram-jet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 4x4 CC / LB
Engine
6.4 L
Glad I got the AEV Katla`s, good run-out, no chipping, and no tapping necessary!
Try and find a mass produced wheel in the USA, not likely!

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
AEV claims, despite made in China, they are made under strict quality control. I'm running Saltas as well. CJC Off Road sells Method 315s that are Ram HD specific with +25 offset. Not many wheels are made in the US any longer. IIRC, all Power Wagons are assembled in Mexico and I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 or more of the parts are sourced or made in China. A lot are made in Mexico too. There isn't much that is US-made nowadays.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aev tried getting them all made in the usa. It just wasnt an option. You might want to whine and ***** about it...but find someone to do it.