Anyone installed a electric brake controller for towing on their 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am really loving my new truck of three weeks. Towing was very low on the priority list when I bought it. It does have the class 4 hitch. Sooner or later I will need to tow an RV and will need electric brakes. Anyone had experience with adding one on after market? Thanks!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I picked up a factory one from a local wrecking yard, programmed it and it works flawlessly.

try car-part.com or mopar parts might have a kit for OEM. Aftermarket is cheaper and works for many people.

OP
OP
lezmark7

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I spoke with the dealer I bought the truck from. They wanted $1300 and change for an installed module. BUT, they said the item was in very short supply (he mentioned a several month waiting list) and MAYBE they could get one from another dealer. I asked how much of the total was the the module - $800 plus. Unreal. He said they would install for around $500 if I had the part. It doesnt seem like a hard install, but in this case I dont mind paying a little extra to have someone to go back to if needed. Found a supplier on Ebay that has sold a few hundred of these OEM's. All reviews are 100% positive. It also comes with an EBAY motors guarantee. $199. Seems like a deal, ordered one.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I spoke with the dealer I bought the truck from. They wanted $1300 and change for an installed module. BUT, they said the item was in very short supply (he mentioned a several month waiting list) and MAYBE they could get one from another dealer. I asked how much of the total was the the module - $800 plus. Unreal. He said they would install for around $500 if I had the part. It doesnt seem like a hard install, but in this case I dont mind paying a little extra to have someone to go back to if needed. Found a supplier on Ebay that has sold a few hundred of these OEM's. All reviews are 100% positive. It also comes with an EBAY motors guarantee. $199. Seems like a deal, ordered one.
Same thing I did. The eBay seller had sold a few hundred OEM units for $125 at the time so I’m sure they fell off a train or grew legs and walked out of a dealer parts department. It is an easy install. The wiring is already in the vehicle and the OEM unit comes with basic instructions. The hardest part is removing the center stack molding to install the physical buttons. It will need to be programmed though. Some dealers won’t do it. If you know anyone with the AlfaOBD program they can program it as well.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got lucky. When I bought my lil lowly DT Bighorn, there was no TT controls in truck. I was trading in a 2015 ED with installed TT controls. PART of the agreement to purchase was for dealer to Supply TT and fully install. They were more than happy to do for me to buy the truck, LOL.

OP
OP
lezmark7

lezmark7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Big Horn 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a little more research on the seller to find out it is a real dealer that sells new and used cars!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
So I spoke with the dealer I bought the truck from. They wanted $1300 and change for an installed module. BUT, they said the item was in very short supply (he mentioned a several month waiting list) and MAYBE they could get one from another dealer. I asked how much of the total was the the module - $800 plus. Unreal. He said they would install for around $500 if I had the part. .
Wow! I wouldn't trust that dealer for anything.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
These type of dealerships are becoming harder to find.
Yep! The forums are full of cases where the dealer reps were dishonest, inept or don't care. I often wonder what the other side of their story would say. And Ram isn't the only one, can read the same on all the various forums. Sad!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Go talk to a different dealer if you want the dealer to install it. My local dealer quoted me $250 INSTALLED and programmed when I asked during the purchase of my wife's new '23.

Your dealer is screwing you with their service prices.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
At 90 yrs I have a bit of street savvy and I trust my honest, customer oriented dealer 100%.
I've been working with my current dealer for about 3 years now, maybe a bit longer...and while I do question things sometimes, they've been straightforward with me as long as I talk to the right people (there is one service writer who doesn't know much of anything, she's a ditz - tried to tell my wife she needed new tires and I went out and looked at the tires and said yeah...in six months).

It REALLY depends on the dealership - sounds like OP's is way overcharging.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone know if 09-12 1500s even had an OEM brake controller as an option? Can’t find anything on it so I’m guessing not.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
GRKN
beginning in 2009 - 2012

The OEM Brake controller was just under the Headlight Switch, but above the E-Brake release handle

jonniegogo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi Gas V8 8Speed
The OEM kit is often on back order, but there are only 4 components, so what I did was ordered them separately at a Mopar store. The total amount for the 4 components came out way way less than of the kit. My dealership installed and reprogrammed it for me. I forgot how much they charged me, it was less than C$100 two years ago.

Here are the parts number for 2016 - 2019 RAM1500.
Please order the following numbers
68105206AC qty =1
68160146AA qty= 1
6509940AA qty = 3
68288760AC qty =1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank