Anyone know what this cable is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was helping a friend with a '17 Ram 1500 diagnose a problem and we found this cable tucked up in the dash. Nothing connected to it, but it has OBD connectors, and the small black wire goes to an inline fuse, which disappears up into the cluster area...not sure where it connects. Looking through the forum, it looks a little like a security bypass, but that isn't needed on a '17. Any ideas? No markings on the cable.PXL_20220827_175219563.jpg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
follow that wire where it goes behind the cluster but it's most likely from something that is capable of reading the CANbus like an aftermarket remote start or auxiliary gauge.

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
follow that wire where it goes behind the cluster but it's most likely from something that is capable of reading the CANbus like an aftermarket remote start or auxiliary gauge.
Yeah, I wondered about that, but the black "power" wire (it has a red and black wire inside, that goes to an inline fuse on the red (hot) wire) goes way up over the instrument cluster and disappears. At that point I'd have to tear apart the dash to figure out where it goes. The plug harness itself was hanging from a ziptie, near the OBD port. Definitely seems aftermarket, due to the inline fuse (factory would have plumbed it in the factory harness). At this point I'm just thinking we should just cut it out. I don't like unnecessary wires hanging around.

elinventorcito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
THAT GO TO SOME SORT OF DISPLAY ON THE DASH , LIKE DIABLO SPORT MOOD TO CHANGE MAPPING ON THE COMPUTER

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was helping a friend with a '17 Ram 1500 diagnose a problem and we found this cable tucked up in the dash. Nothing connected to it, but it has OBD connectors, and the small black wire goes to an inline fuse, which disappears up into the cluster area...not sure where it connects. Looking through the forum, it looks a little like a security bypass, but that isn't needed on a '17. Any ideas? No markings on the cable.View attachment 501035
IF possible, contact the previous Owner and see what he had installed that is no longer there, just a thought. That wire is definitely aftermarket, IMHO ...

OP
OP
miketx

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t cut!
IF possible, contact the previous Owner and see what he had installed that is no longer there, just a thought. That wire is definitely aftermarket, IMHO ...
Yeah, no contact info for the previous owner. We cut it out and safely taped/tucked the power wire away.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They might have plumbed it into power somewhere for some kind of OBD dongle, IE the Tmoble Sync n drive, and didn't want to muck with the factory wiring too much.

or they thought they needed a security bypass, and don't?