Wiring Bed Cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braiden_patrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have looked a lot into wiring my bed cap CHMSL and I can't figure it out. When I bought my pickup (used) there was already a connector in the bed that was in place from the previous owner for what I assume was a bed cap. It had a positive wire that ran to the battery with an inline fuse, a ground wire connected to the body of the truck, two wires that I believe I traced back to the lock/unlock of my tailgate (probably for an electronic-locking bed cap), and finally, a wire that ran to the factory CHMSL "white w/ violet" wire underneath my truck. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the other side of the connector that the previous owner had used, so I cut the connector off in plan of using my own connector (wire by wire to avoid shorting anything if I remember correct). I started the process of wiring my LED CHMSL on my bed cap, starting by twisting my negative wire to the factory CHMSL, and my positive to the positive that runs to the battery from the previous connector, but it didn't work. so then I did some troubleshooting. Does it light up when my lights are on? no. Does it brighten when I brake? no. In fact, quite the opposite. When my truck is off and the light is connected, the LEDs light up at the lowest lumen output, and when I press on the brakes, the light turns off. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, and as an electrician, I feel ashamed haha. Anyone have any ideas of what my problem could be?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I started the process of wiring my LED CHMSL on my bed cap, starting by twisting my negative wire to the factory CHMSL, and my positive to the positive that runs to the battery from the previous connector,
The third brake light should be wired to the ground and the violet/white wire. It only powers up when the brakes are applied.
Is there just the two wires going to the topper's brake light?

OP
OP
B

braiden_patrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know, when it is wired and I put the brakes on, the light turns off, and when I release the brakes, the light turns on but dim again. I have the correct wire, there is only a negative and a positive wire for my brake light

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Look at about :50 - :55 seconds in on this video. I' sure there's better ones out there, but first one Dr. Google brought up. ram already has a wire dedicated for that.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I started the process of wiring my LED CHMSL on my bed cap, starting by twisting my negative wire to the factory CHMSL, and my positive to the positive that runs to the battery from the previous connector, but it didn't work.

The positive goes to the wire from the harness, ground can be anything

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Swap the pos and neg connection, a led only works one way

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
B

braiden_patrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Got it to work, positive is the CHMSL wire underneath the truck bed, negative wire comes from the battery!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357