Anyone like the old 1981 d150 slant 6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I miss the 4.0 straight six. Change the oil once in a while, thing lasted forever. Bonus was easy to work on particularly when it was in a TJ, so much room.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
My Schwinn bicycle is more reliable than a Dodge slant 6. NO disrespect intended. Been down that road with those engines a long time ago and never went back.

I will say... factory L6 carbs were always trouble... not that I experienced it from the Dodge side.

I miss the 4.0 straight six. Change the oil once in a while, thing lasted forever. Bonus was easy to work on particularly when it was in a TJ, so much room.

I'm impressed chrysler held the 4.0L as long as they did. They got to modern injection and ignition. I just wish there had been a larger displacement offering.

Octane

Reaction score
We had a few slant 6's and after 72 I believe it was they went to electronic ignition which was lots easier than replacing points on the thing.We used to just pull distributors to install points tho.The elect. ignition were better but we still had that occasional failure.Overall we got great hi miles out of those old 225 slants.Still wouldn't mind running across an old Dodge truck with one in it.The worst failure we ever had was a small oilpan drip ran oil low and ruined a bearing once while pulling a u-haul trailer.

Daniel Rodemsky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slant 6
I just bought a 1985 D150 with a slant 6. 38,000 original miles. I’ll be giving it a tune up and replacing belts and hoses but I love that slow 6

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Schwinn bicycle is more reliable than a Dodge slant 6. NO disrespect intended. Been down that road with those engines a long time ago and never went back.
Bull$hit. I've had both slant 6s and Schwinn's.
Have both currently in fact.
Would much rather have a slant 6, than any engine with timing chains and plastic guides within the same engine....