Apply heat to brake line fitting,yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I picked up some new ft. brake hoses.I cannot get the hard lines to break free from the end that attaches to the old brake hose.So my question is,can I apply heat to those fittings without damaging anything or is there possibly another method to get these lines off?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I picked up some new ft. brake hoses.I cannot get the hard lines to break free from the end that attaches to the old brake hose.So my question is,can I apply heat to those fittings without damaging anything or is there possibly another method to get these lines off?
Yes, you can apply heat as long as it is a directed heat source like from a fine tip torch. I use a small butane torch that I have for soldering wires. It has a very fine flame and doesn't spread over a large area.

Soak the fitting with a rust penetrant for a while and then apply the heat.

OP
OP
S

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
Thank you.I have been soaking with penetrant I just wanted to make sure there was not any o rings or seals in the hard line fitting that could be damaged.I have a standard propane torch I was going to use,will that work?I was also thinking about picking up some map gas as I've heard it burns hotter than propane,do you know if this is true?I'm assuming by you recc. a fine tip torch I want to keep the flame off the hard line and heat the hard line fitting and the metal part of the brake hose where it connects,correct?

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
A few hundred degrees, yes. Cherry red, no, if it’s a part you’re reusing.

In addition to penetrating oil, a technique I have used with good results is heat the fitting, then spray the joint concentrating on the inner fitting with penetrating oil. The oil will rapidly cool and shrink the fitting and help break the seal between the threads and suck oil in.
Obviously caution is required because if you don’t know what you’re doing -> fire.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Invest in a good Penetrating Fluid, like PB BLASTER or KROIL, the gun oil

WD-40 is not a Penetrant, WD stands for Water Displacement, the 40 stands for the 40th Formula that they tried before it worked

seagiant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
Kroil is the best, but $$$!

PB Blaster is good and easily available.

A regular propane torch will work fine.

Just try to be safe, the heat will do it and wetting it with water after heating will still "shock" it and is free!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I don't work with Copper, Brass or small diameter tube steel much

I forgot about the first tighten, then loosen method

It is the method that you would use to clean, chase or cut threads & using cutting oil & tap & die tools

Last edited: