Are Ram Alcoa Alloy Wheels Finished With a Coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Good day. I have some nicks and scratches on my front Alcoa alloy wheels thanks to Discount Tire's carelessness installing new tires. Two questions: 1) Is there a a factory coating applied to these aluminum wheels? 2) I have heard that Magquires has a tool for restoring scratches and scuffs. What is this tool?

right front wheel.JPG

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yeah, they’re coated or they would be dull before they arrived on the transporter truck.

I would get a quote from a wheel restoration shop and present it to the tire store. They’ll pay up, assuming you told them and documented it before leaving. TK had to replace a center cap on my last truck for the same reason. They did it with no pushback, OEM part too.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
First, fyi they're not Alcoas. They are made by Dicastal in China. Big difference in quality, material, and the coating between the two manufacturers. These wheels also have a history of corrosion around the rear wheel valve stems. The corrosion grows under the clear coating and will appear milky at first then it will grow white corrosion lifting the coating from the cast aluminum. Something to watch for.
Our wheels are coated in a clear coat that is relatively thick. It can be buffed out like paint at LOW speeds. Use a cutting and/or polishing compound and it should buff out if its not too deep.

Below is the stamping from inside the rear wheel for reference.
20201031_230023.jpg
Screenshot_20230222-183733_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On my 2014 3500 dually, it actually had alcoa's on it. And I also had some scratches, so I bought some touch up clear paint, and of course waited for a nice warm day to touch up spray the areas. It worked great.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 8

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
On my 2014 3500 dually, it actually had alcoa's on it. And I also had some scratches, so I bought some touch up clear paint, and of course waited for a nice warm day to touch up spray the areas. It worked great.

Unfortunately that's not the case nowadays. I wish they still came with a quality Forged wheel instead of these Chinese cast wheels.