ARH Long tube headers with high flow cats.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackened 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey can anyone tell me if I can use ARH long tube headers with high flow cats if I have true duals or do I have to go with stainless works since they come separated? I’m very new to modding and having some difficulty trying to figure this out.

4C03017F-825A-49BB-94CF-7BE63AFA5124.jpeg

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are able to use these as it’s just a “cut off the joint” and continue down with duals; or you can throw another Y pipe on the end of this setup and go with your duals out. Easy to do for any shop. They can do it. If you have a welder or a buddy with one, easy to throw it up.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you lived around this part of isolated northern Ontario (lol) I’d assist you putting it in. Hope she turns out great for you. I love the true duals I have with an x pipe and LT headers. Engine breathes so much better and you can actually feel it when you hammer down.

Lyle Longboat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, I didn’t know this. But then again I haven’t looked into headers since I had mine installed so I’m behind in the LT header game. Thanks for the knowledge.

OP
OP
Blackened 1

Blackened 1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the assist offer Lyle. My next game plan was swapping my 3.21 for 3.92. After a bunch of research many are saying it’s not worth it on the 8 speed.

pburke704

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I'm considering ARH Long Tube Headers for my 2020 Ram 2500 6.4 L. I also need to add a high flow intake and perhaps a Magnaflow exhaust (single side exit). Any inputs on this setup that would retain cats and/or hi-flow cats with the headers? Cost of tune?

Also ARH vs. Kooks? Kooks look pricey....

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Good Morning Y'all,

I know this thread is a little old, but I didn't want to start a new one if questions had already been asked...

So this is the first "major" upgrade ill be doing to my truck, I've been looking at ARH Headers but now I'm also considering Stainless works headers too. They also look like they are a tiny bit cheaper and no Y pipe to cut for an X pipe install. So I have a few questions as I'm somewhat new to headers and not cat back systems. I'm looking to get the most low end out of it as the truck is my daily driver and I use it for towing (car trailers, stock trailers, etc.) when needed. Of course any extra power I get out of it …. well.... I'm definitely not going to complain if its more fun on the street lol I've done some homework but I still have a few questions....

Specs on the truck-

5.7, 8-speed, 4x4, factory 3.92 gears.

What I want to do with the truck and associated questions -

Vararam intake (or K&N 63 series), LT Headers either ARH or SW, X-pipe, Dynomax Bullets, and of course a tune.

ARH or SW long tubes (with Cats, friken emissions :-/ ), 2.5" X-pipe and out the back, Dynomax bullets, obviously true duals
- I've been looking at 1 7/8" primaries but I'm not sure if that's going to be too big, I also thought about running 3" pipes the rest of the way but I don't want to gut any gains or low end I'm getting from not enough back pressure. so I figured id stick with the 2.5". From what I've read on some of the forums maybe I should go with 1 3/4" primaries? So would it work best with the 1 7/8 and 2.5" or 1 3/4 and 2.5"?

Intake - So I know this plays a factor in exhaust sizing too.... air in air out.... I have always used K&N intakes, but I've heard a lot of good things about the vararam intakes. I like the styling of them I'm digging the old school look, but how does it compare to the K&N 63 series?

Tune - I have never tuned a car before, All my toys have been/are( 79 Power wagon 360 4bb/727 all original) carbureted. So I know its pretty much plug and play with the diablo Trinitys, I guess I'm going to have to get a new PCM? with the above set up will I need a custom tune or will what's on the Trinity work? I run 93 octane anyway or 92 ethanol free. If I do need a custom tune, do I go through diablo? I keep hearing Jay Greene? or Hemi Fever? are those individuals?

Im trying to get everything together so I can place my order Friday so any help is greatly apricated.

Thanks,

Matt

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good Morning Y'all,

I know this thread is a little old, but I didn't want to start a new one if questions had already been asked...

So this is the first "major" upgrade ill be doing to my truck, I've been looking at ARH Headers but now I'm also considering Stainless works headers too. They also look like they are a tiny bit cheaper and no Y pipe to cut for an X pipe install. So I have a few questions as I'm somewhat new to headers and not cat back systems. I'm looking to get the most low end out of it as the truck is my daily driver and I use it for towing (car trailers, stock trailers, etc.) when needed. Of course any extra power I get out of it …. well.... I'm definitely not going to complain if its more fun on the street lol I've done some homework but I still have a few questions....

Specs on the truck-

5.7, 8-speed, 4x4, factory 3.92 gears.

What I want to do with the truck and associated questions -

Vararam intake (or K&N 63 series), LT Headers either ARH or SW, X-pipe, Dynomax Bullets, and of course a tune.

ARH or SW long tubes (with Cats, friken emissions :-/ ), 2.5" X-pipe and out the back, Dynomax bullets, obviously true duals
- I've been looking at 1 7/8" primaries but I'm not sure if that's going to be too big, I also thought about running 3" pipes the rest of the way but I don't want to gut any gains or low end I'm getting from not enough back pressure. so I figured id stick with the 2.5". From what I've read on some of the forums maybe I should go with 1 3/4" primaries? So would it work best with the 1 7/8 and 2.5" or 1 3/4 and 2.5"?

Intake - So I know this plays a factor in exhaust sizing too.... air in air out.... I have always used K&N intakes, but I've heard a lot of good things about the vararam intakes. I like the styling of them I'm digging the old school look, but how does it compare to the K&N 63 series?

Tune - I have never tuned a car before, All my toys have been/are( 79 Power wagon 360 4bb/727 all original) carbureted. So I know its pretty much plug and play with the diablo Trinitys, I guess I'm going to have to get a new PCM? with the above set up will I need a custom tune or will what's on the Trinity work? I run 93 octane anyway or 92 ethanol free. If I do need a custom tune, do I go through diablo? I keep hearing Jay Greene? or Hemi Fever? are those individuals?

Im trying to get everything together so I can place my order Friday so any help is greatly apricated.

Thanks,

Matt
You can purchase headers with or without the y pipe. Ecu will need to be unlocked if it is a model year 2015 or newer.

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Thanks Daw, ive got a 2017, i think diablo has a kit with a trinity platinum and a ECU, ill just keep my factory one for when emissions inspection is due.

i guess my biggest question is about primary and pipe size with the intake and Xpipe with the 3.92 gears.

thanks,

Matt

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Daw, ive got a 2017, i think diablo has a kit with a trinity platinum and a ECU, ill just keep my factory one for when emissions inspection is due.

i guess my biggest question is about primary and pipe size with the intake and Xpipe with the 3.92 gears.

thanks,

Matt
Stick with 1 3/4",and don't do true duals.A basically stock truck like you have won't gain anything from a true dual set-up,and there's a good chance it'll lose bottom end torque from them.Do a quality catback system that's a full 2.5" after the muffler and uses mandrel bends.BTW back pressure is a myth,or wifes tail if you're so inclined that way,lol. Exhaust scavenging is what you need to research.

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Thanks @Wild one Fair enough lol So who makes a good mandrel bent cat back? Borla? Corsa? I think Stainless works offers one too.... but theirs is 3" all the way out. i apparently have some homework to do now lol. So to make sure i have this correct..... 1 3/4 headers, 3" in to dual 2.5" out muffler, and 2.5" to the tips. CHECK! Thank you sir that's exactly the advise I was looking for!

So, will these headers (ARH/SW) fit 4x4 trucks? I havent seen anything that really denotes drive type, but ive looked at the ARH promo videos and they use a rebel.... so i assume drive type isnt really a factor?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks @Wild one Fair enough lol So who makes a good mandrel bent cat back? Borla? Corsa? I think Stainless works offers one too.... but theirs is 3" all the way out. i apparently have some homework to do now lol. So to make sure i have this correct..... 1 3/4 headers, 3" in to dual 2.5" out muffler, and 2.5" to the tips. CHECK! Thank you sir that's exactly the advise I was looking for!

So, will these headers (ARH/SW) fit 4x4 trucks? I havent seen anything that really denotes drive type, but ive looked at the ARH promo videos and they use a rebel.... so i assume drive type isnt really a factor?
I ran a Magnaflow catback on my 4X4 and liked it,truck ran corrected 11.50's with the Maggy catback system. Either brand of headers should fit your 4X4,i run JBA's on my 4X4.On a stock truck 2.5" after the mufflers is about what you want.If you're boosted or spraying it with nitrous,then the 3" would be an okay upgrade,but if not stick with 2.5". I'd seriously consider wrapping the headers though,as the knock sensors are right under the primary pipes,and have been known to have issues with picking up false knock from the internal pinging in the primaries. Stay away from Stage 8 fasteners also,as the clips have a tendenancy to rattle,and ***** the knock sensors too.Remflex 6022 gaskets have probably the best rep as far as header gaskets go these days,they only require 20 lb-ft of torque and don't require retorquing,just don't bend them,as they don't take well to being flexed.

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
Very cool, sounds like a plan. ill do my homework on cat backs, I've been reading about exhaust scavenging. I plan on ordering ARP hardware and ill definitely check out the remflex 6022s. 2.5" would be right for me, as stated before im just doing the Intake and exhaust and then tuned. its my daily and with an hr drive to work one way i need to try and preserve SOME mileage and reliablity lol so no boost or juice for me. Ill definitely look into wrapping the headers.

Thanks again @Wild one and @Daw14 yall have been most helpful!

Matt

MK82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 HO Cummins
So I've been looking at cat backs and was thinking (which might be dangerous lol) could i get a a 3" in out dynomax bullet, have them weld a flange on one side to hook up to the Y-pipe and then weld a 3" to 2.5" reducer and then a 2.5" Y and then tie that into the stock exhaust? isn't it 2.5" from the factory? im not trying to cut corners persay, but if it will accomplish the same goal without gutting the bottom end.... would that be the same as a 3" inlet to 2.5" dual outlet muffler?

thanks

Matt

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're in Houston, you might contact Moe's Performance in Conroe. He is one of our preferred vendors on the forum. He might be able to give you some additional guidance on your headers and exhaust system along with information about the Vararam CAI and the Diablo tuners and custom tuning. "Wild one" is also a "resident" expert and has one of the fastest Rams in Canada---he knows his stuff!
Jay