Asking for a courtesy vehicle from the dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought my 18 Ram 2500 as a CPO. I thought it added value. It only had 14K on it, but they still put new tires on it, changed oil and oil/air/fuel filters along with some other stuff. Plus it added some warranty, both bumper-to-bumper and extended drivetrain.

Sorry to hear about your issues, OP.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
FCA/Stellantis has always been non-committal when it comes to loaners unless you had a MaxCare warranty bought. Remember when I bout my 2015 Ram 2500 from one dealer, they had me sign a sheet specifically stating that I acknowledge that service loaners were not a guarantee.

Spent last Friday morning in my local Toyota dealership service department waiting on the Wife's vehicle to get serviced and it seemed they were handing out loaners like candy even if you were waiting on routine service. Pretty stark contrast to what my local CDJR dealer does that may shuttle you home at best if local.

Last edited:

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Cabin air filter should have been changed before it was sold, pre cert means it has been gone over , but sounds like it was not.
But that’s water under the bridge
My 2014 still has the original battery,
And come to think, everything else
Just rent a car

aepowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't defend anyone from a dealership, and I've had my share of bad ones.

Does the 169 point inspection specifically say that they're going to replace a cabin air filter? Those inspections are essentially safety inspections and general maintenance such as lube, brakes, tires, etc.. If something falls within spec, they leave it alone. If it's not on the list it doesn't get checked. I've NEVER seen ANY dealership replace a cabin air filter as part of their inspection. I've probably owned 50-60 vehicles of EVERY brand. Never happened once. Heck, it wasn't that long ago that Rams didn't even come with cabin filters.

The inspection does not require them to replace aftermarket exhaust components with factory components if it is functioning properly at the time. That is NOT a requirement to certify a vehicle. I'm sorry if you believe that it is, but maybe call the dealership and ask them. IF they have to replace a part, they replace it with a factory Ram part.

If the battery died the day after, why would you expect them to replace it? If they did, it would be as a courtesy but it is not a requirement. Again, if it tested good during the inspection and then sat on a lot for a period of time it happens. I would hardly blame that on a dealer.

How would suspension issues be caused by the dealer when they replaced the headers? (There's no service order posted that I can see) IF they inspected, found worn/loose components and adjusted them then yes.. you should be thankful.

Again... you said you purchased it a year prior to having this work done. If it's not under warranty, then they are under no requirement to help you.

You haven't answered a couple of basic questions:

1) Did the CPO truck come with a warranty? If yes, what specifically does that warranty cover? (BTW... Maxcare DOES allow for rental car reimbursement)
2) How many miles have you driven it between the time you bought it and the time you took it in for the suspension work?

I'm all for shotgun blasting a dealer who has done a shoddy job and just won't help but it really does look like the dealership did try to help. Don't take offense to what I am saying. I am just looking at what's been said and trying to look at this from both sides. We need more information.

How many miles were on the truck when you bought it?
Max Car only provides rental up to 100,000 miles

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
FCA/Stellantis has always been non-committal when it comes to loaners unless you had a MaxCare warranty bought. Remember when I bout my 2015 Ram 2500 from one dealer, they had me sign a sheet specifically stating that I acknowledge that service loaners were not a guarantee.

Spent last Friday morning in my local Toyota dealership service department waiting on the Wife's vehicle to get serviced and it seemed they were handing out loaners like candy even if you were waiting on routine service. Pretty stark contrast to what my local CDJR dealer does that may shuttle you home at best if local.
Consider yourself lucky. The Ford/Lincoln dealer didn't provide us with a loaner when our Expedition crapped the bed (in warranty). They didn't have any to go around. We ended up paying for a rental out of pocket based on Ford saying they'd reimburse us. They did..... eventually. For half. We ate $1,400.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Cabin air filter should have been changed before it was sold, pre cert means it has been gone over , but sounds like it was not.
But that’s water under the bridge
My 2014 still has the original battery,
And come to think, everything else
Just rent a car
Cabin air filters are not part of the inspection... See my earlier post.

Just because they didn't change it does not mean that it didn't go through the inspection. A tech is not going to do anything more than what the inspection checklist tells them to do.

20Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 non e torque
Do you have a MaxCare warranty? It covers rentals, even 1st day. If not, they have no obligation to supply you with a rental vehicle.
I have maxcare have you had to use it? I'm hoping they don't give me ****. My touch screen is acting up and freezing. My truck also is a certified pre-owned with a 3.5 inch rough country lift and after market exhaust. It's a 2020

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have maxcare have you had to use it? I'm hoping they don't give me ****. My touch screen is acting up and freezing. My truck also is a certified pre-owned with a 3.5 inch rough country lift and after market exhaust. It's a 2020
Nope, never a problem. Have it both on my Ram and Durango. If you want a rental while they work on it, make sure you give them plenty of notice you need one. There seems to be a major rental car shortage. The MaxCare coverage is for 35$ a day. My dealer has an agreement with Enterprise for that rate but some dealers don't and you would be responsible for anything over the 35$ limit.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A couple things that I thought of:

1) The truck was a 2017 bought in 2021. Would be interesting to know if it had any factory warranty left because a CPO generally needs a fair amount of warranty time to become certified. A vehicle could be sold certified by dealer but not actually in a official CPO program. 2) The type of certification would dictate how deep they went on inspection and that is why it is critical to find out if it is certified to factory program standards or just to dealer plopping it in their lot standards. So it could have been just the basics to pass state inspection. 3) I think the dealer did right by owner for things and (missed if it had extended warranty) loaner is a privilege ot a guaranteed thing so if they don't provide, just chalk it up to experience and don't badger them as you may be back. 4) The truck is now 6 years old, things are going to break. Who knows how it was treating past so kind of have to accept it and enjoy the ride.