WOW - Rip Off Dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My opinion for what it's worth: Once EVs become more prevalent a lot of dealerships will go out of business because EVs don't need much maintenance.
EV's are pretty unreliable. CR is a very left leaning organization, so of course they try to put lipstick on this pig by speculating that it will improve. But only time will tell.

The survey reveals that, on average, EVs from the past three model years had 79 percent more problems than conventional cars.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have only read the first page, but I have the opposite issue with my dealer. They won't look at or touch anything except the actual thing I ask them to do. That for me is a +/-. I've been around the block with service depts. and I get the upsell thing. However, if I bring my truck in for an oil change, I would actually like for them to give it a "once over" and alert me if something might be needing service then or in the near future. I can smell BS a mile away and have no problem saying "No" to "We need to change the air in your tires".lol

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder. How do folks feel about four-tires-or-no tires rule that some national tire stores have?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105206 miles.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
I wonder. How do folks feel about four-tires-or-no tires rule that some national tire stores have?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105206 miles.
F' them. Put the new ones up front because that's where the stopping power is. Making someone buy 4 tires when the rears are evenly worn nd have 6/32 tread left on them is just criminal.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Regards,
Dusty
I have honestly never run into that situation. But then, I think maybe twice in my life have I not bought a full set at once.

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
Re: environmental fees…I’m in Cali, they require smog certificates every other year per registration requirement. I passed smog last August, just had to renew my registration for 2025, smog cert not required…however I did get the recall letter for the smog BS to do the computer download…hell no, didn’t do it so Cali can’t threaten to withhold 2025 registration, already got 2025
Tags on the truck. What I’m curious about is will my dealer do that recall BS if I go in for a oil change or whatever…don’t think I’d trust them not to say…we have to do it because it’s required in Cali…may be doing my own maintenance for the next year.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Re: environmental fees…I’m in Cali, they require smog certificates every other year per registration requirement. I passed smog last August, just had to renew my registration for 2025, smog cert not required…however I did get the recall letter for the smog BS to do the computer download…hell no, didn’t do it so Cali can’t threaten to withhold 2025 registration, already got 2025
Tags on the truck. What I’m curious about is will my dealer do that recall BS if I go in for a oil change or whatever…don’t think I’d trust them not to say…we have to do it because it’s required in Cali…may be doing my own maintenance for the next year.
Doesn't CA say you don't have to smog it for the first 6 years? By the way, I went to Vacaville High School.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Last edited:

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo
6yrs…I have no clue, I’ll have to check it out…thanks…I went to Monroe High in the San Fernando Valley in LA for one year I hated high school, so I joined the army… one of my smarter moves, too funny

ReddJackson

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 Turbo

WOW, that’s really good to know, I’m a Cherry with RAM Trucks, I did have a 1990 W/Cummins…but that was what…33 yrs ago, I’m playing catch up with you guys, damn glad I found this forum.

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Does your truck have the CP3 or CP4 pump?

Two things cause fuel in the oil.... 1)a stuck or cracked injector or 2) the CP pump has a seal leaking. I've never had it happen but I've seen the CP3s have a leaky seal from time to time. That would dump fuel into the gear train that will make its way into the oil. The CP4s have problems already.
No fuel in the oil - that was another poster. I believe mine has the non-grenade CP3.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This may be a little off topic, but a friend of mine's son and daughter-in-law bought a 2021 F-150 new. A few weeks ago the engine developed some unhealthy noises, so they took it back to the dealer. He was recently notified that they found metal particles in the oil and subsequent inspection, the cam, rod, and main bearings are damaged. The engine will need to be replaced.

Ford has since declined warranty because of the use of an aftermarket oil filter which they claim "contributed to the damage," plus a lack of receipts showing oil changes with specified oil at factory intervals were not submitted.

There's this thing called Magnuson-Moss warranty law the specifically states that factory parts are not always required, especially for maintenance items. Ford, the company, knows this, but it looks like they're going to make this young couple jump through the hoops. They might be claiming that the oil filter was defective, but even if they did it still doesn't explain what caused the metal debris. A tech. that works at the dealership let on that this is not the first time he's seen this problem on that engine and has since been told not to have any dialog with the customer.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105419 miles.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ford has since declined warranty because of the use of an aftermarket oil filter which they claim "contributed to the damage," plus a lack of receipts showing oil changes with specified oil at factory intervals were not submitted.
Putting the issue of the aftermarket filter aside, Ford has grounds alone with the lack of receipts and specified oil to deny.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act also is somewhat toothless as the FTC is not going to parachute lawyers in on ones behalf to fight such things. It just give the consumer grounds for one to sue in Federal Civil Court to enforce it on the consumers dime. Also, the dealership does not have the burden to prove anything as an absolute other than something is possible, probable or likely to have caused the stated damage.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The mantra for so much: document, document, document. It is perfectly acceptable to not use OEM items but doing so adds risk. For oil changes I save receipts of everything, and use OEM filters during warranty period. I have pictures of box and oil bottles with dated material in front of truck. I note exactly how much fluid is removed and how much is put in.

But fighting the engine issue stated above is an uphill battle at best. Without proof of changes, it is going to be difficult, possibly working out some shared cost might happen but dealer will win the battle for full replacement. When I have bought used in the past (only 1 was a truck and won't ever make that mistake again) I ran the vehicle a bit and then change all fluids and put a magnet in the used oil. Never found metal, but sharing for anyone reading who might buy used in the future.

Hope there is a good ending for that couple

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
This may be a little off topic, but a friend of mine's son and daughter-in-law bought a 2021 F-150 new. A few weeks ago the engine developed some unhealthy noises, so they took it back to the dealer. He was recently notified that they found metal particles in the oil and subsequent inspection, the cam, rod, and main bearings are damaged. The engine will need to be replaced.

There's this thing called Magnuson-Moss warranty law the specifically states that factory parts are not always required, especially for maintenance items. Ford, the company, knows this, but it looks like they're going to make this young couple jump through the hoops. They might be claiming that the oil filter was defective, but even if they did it still doesn't explain what caused the metal debris. A tech. that works at the dealership let on that this is not the first time he's seen this problem on that engine and has since been told not to have any dialog with the customer.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 105419 miles.
Unless they paid straight cash for the changes they should be able to get proof of payment from CC company. Then the payments can be matched up to dealers records.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
EV's are pretty unreliable. CR is a very left leaning organization, so of course they try to put lipstick on this pig by speculating that it will improve. But only time will tell.

The survey reveals that, on average, EVs from the past three model years had 79 percent more problems than conventional cars.

EVs SHOULD be much more reliable than ICE vehicles. They have about 1/3 fewer parts and electric motor technology has been around for over 100 years and is more mature than gas burners. No spark plugs, oil changes, fuel injectors, cooling system.

On the other hand anything can be made less reliable, which is a large part of the issue with today's ICE vehicles. Brand new right out of the dealership vehicles often throw codes which the dealer cannot correct. Multiple electronic "features" mean more complexity with little or no gain in functionality. Poor design replacing directly driven components with needless electronic modules decrease reliability. I have no doubt the auto manufacturers will continue to pull this crap with EVs.

EVs will eventually take over the majority of new car sales - IF they prove to be superior to ICE vehicles. Potentially that should happen, but I don't disregard car maker's ability to screw it up.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
To fix that license plate light on an EV will cost around $900.
Only if you have the dealer do it. If you do it yourself it'll be seven bucks. License plate light bulbs are already electronic, dude. :D

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
EVs will eventually take over the majority of new car sales - IF they prove to be superior to ICE vehicles.
Big "IF" at this point, at least for longer distance/winter.
Potentially that should happen, but I don't disregard car maker's ability to screw it up.
Not entirely the car makers, IMO. The technology is just not there to make them better than ICE. They are putting the cart before the horse, and trying to push it from the back with our (and our grandkids) tax dollars. Battery technology needs to make a big jump to get us to where EV's will dominate the market. I've been watching development in that area for a lot of years, like 25-30. There is always some promise of that big break through is "just around the corner", but none of it gets to market. The battery in my 22 Ram looks pretty much the same as the one in my '71 Cuda. Yeah, small improvements have been made, but not nearly enough to eliviate the EV issues. Maybe someday though.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The battery in my 22 Ram looks pretty much the same as the one in my '71 Cuda. Yeah, small improvements have been made, but not nearly enough to eliviate the EV issues. Maybe someday though.
Apples and oranges.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Apples and oranges.
Not really... I see his point and it's valid. Why hasn't the typical el cheapo car battery changed much from 1971 to now? Wouldn't it make more sense to perfect that system before moving on to a highly complex system that drives a car? I mean... lithium ion batteries are available....

A battery is a battery, whether it's the one that starts the truck and manages the on board electronics or one for the entire vehicle. If the technology were so advanced then why aren't manufacturers (who sell EVs alongside ICE vehicles) switching batteries in ICE vehicles over to the newer Lithium Ion equivalents in place of lead acid? They take up half the space and provide just as much (if not more) power.

Easy (and you can research this).

1.) Reliability - Lead acid batteries perform more evenly in various regions. So whether you live in Arizona or in Maine, the battery will perform relatively the same. The technology is mature. You can also use just about any type of 12v charger to charge them back up. Manufacturers are also geared more towards charging and maintenance of lead-acid.

2.) Cost - Lead acid batteries are much cheaper to produce and much more cost effective for the consumer to replace. Since they're easier to recycle, the disposal cost is also minimal compared to a lithium ion.

This is why manufacturers still stick lead acid batteries in their ICE vehicles. It's also the same reason that EVs haven't taken off as much as some would think. They're not yet reliable enough and they're still really expensive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517