WOW - Rip Off Dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Hey guys - been a while since I posted but wanted perspective.

Went for my oil change today at the dealership. Before you judge I bought the lifetime change deal and for me it penciled. But, I know this is a tactic to get you in the door.

2022 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 28k miles and not a daily tow monster. A once a year tow for 2-4 k miles tops.

Urgent items needing service now per the dealership: power steering flush, transmission flush, brake flush and 4x4 service. My truck is a driveway princess and I know the intervals but played dumb.

I was floored at power steering and trans. Other bits I will always do myself and inspect but wow! Really!!!! Trans and power steering? I must of been wearing my sucker hat.

Had a road force balance, my oil change at 0 and my bank account was happy. I hate how they make you feel guilty that you’re not taking care of your rig. Ugh

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You’re right the dealerships will try to upsell everything and tons of people always going along with it. One thing with your truck though is that trans. I’d be changing my fluid and filter on that at 30k religiously. Probably not a flush though. The rest of the stuff can wait.

The local Toyota dealership in my area is unbelievable for upselling extras to everyone. There’s a lot of wealthy Prius driving types. They all go right along with it because they barely know how to get the thing to move let alone what anything is or does.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What did they quote you? Probably like $2500.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's most likely in their performance evaluations that they need to upsell. My bro left a job because he was not good at upselling services that were not needed. I feel bad for all the folks that don't know any better and regularly get ripped off by that kind of practice.

Last edited:

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Say, does the 2500 actually have hydraulic power steering? The 1500 is electric. If a dealership tried to sell me a power steering flush, I think I'd be having a word with the service manager on just how they intend to "flush" the electric power steering.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The 2500 has a hydroboost system, not electric (even on the gasser).

As for the trans service - my local dealer charges $375.

The service interval on the trans is 60k severe duty and 120k normal duty. If you want to use the severe duty schedule it won't hurt anything but every 30k is a bit much. The 68RFE is not a grenade unless you treat it like one.

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
You’re right the dealerships will try to upsell everything and tons of people always going along with it. One thing with your truck though is that trans. I’d be changing my fluid and filter on that at 30k religiously. Probably not a flush though. The rest of the stuff can wait.

The local Toyota dealership in my area is unbelievable for upselling extras to everyone. There’s a lot of wealthy Prius driving types. They all go right along with it because they barely know how to get the thing to move let alone what anything is or does.
Thanks for the perspective on the trans. For sure still a service I will do myself. That RFE is a clunky thing anyway.

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Say, does the 2500 actually have hydraulic power steering? The 1500 is electric. If a dealership tried to sell me a power steering flush, I think I'd be having a word with the service manager on just how they intend to "flush" the electric power steering.

Well - hmmm - didn't even cross my mind. I'll pop the hood this weekend when I do my fuel filters and report back. The interweb was not too helpful but I also did not dig terribly deep.

Part of me hopes it is electric as I have the lane departure so I can provide feedback about just how dishonest the upsell was.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Part of me hopes it is electric as I have the lane departure so I can provide feedback about just how dishonest the upsell was.
You missed the reply above, the HD trucks(both gas & diesel) have a hydro-boost brake system that's powered from the hydraulic power steering.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i am dealing with the same thing right now. its horrible, at some point the dealers need to realize everyone has a smart phone. People with a little bit of knowledge can find out on the internet if the dealer is full of ****. Lol dealer asked me why i don't get my truck serviced there, i simply said i don't trust you to do a oil change. he took offence to what i said till we documented my oil level before i left.... low oil and tech marked safe operating level on the paper work.... i just said see what i mean when i cant trust your work lol.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
yeah, pretty much. Here was the rundown:

4x4 service: $1,267.50
Brake Flush: $289
Power Steering Flush: $259
Trans Flush: $362.01
The trans flush is reasonable. Power steering and brakes still uses their own fluid as well even though it's a hydroboost system and at some point will need to be changed, but shouldn't be needed yet.

The 4x4 service has me scratching my head though... That's draining and refilling the fluid on the transfer case, and the front and rear diff (typically). That's a whole lot of money for little work. I just serviced my front and rear diff for a total cost of $120.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
yeah, pretty much. Here was the rundown:

4x4 service: $1,267.50
Brake Flush: $289
Power Steering Flush: $259
Trans Flush: $362.01
An I would bet the trans flush does not include dropping the trans pan to install a new trans filters and no way in he ll would I allow anyone to flush my transmission and IMO the $1276 for 4x4 service is really outrageous, now the price for the other 2 services is debatable...

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is the main reason I don't go to the dealer for service during warranty period. I know I am going to get pressure to do things like this. It adds risk if I ignore a service recommendation and then something happens, it just adds complexity to the warranty work process. I do service required, save receipts, and just is my way of doing things.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
An I would bet the trans flush does not include dropping the trans pan to install a new trans filters and no way in he ll would I allow anyone to flush my transmission and IMO the $1276 for 4x4 service is really outrageous, now the price for the other 2 services is debatable...
My local shop charges slightly less than that and includes OEM filter and fluid. The local dealer claims they also include the OEM filter and fluid in theirs as well for about the price that the OP quoted. Not sure if they'll actually do it right, but that's the claim anyhow. About the only thing I allow to be done are oil/trans fluid changes by a shop I trust. Everything else is getting done right here at home or it isn't getting done.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All HD Rams have hydraulic steering, regardless if they have the electronic torque overlay module on the steering gear for adaptive steering and lane assist (although, you lose power steering if that torque overlay module fails).
You missed the reply above, the HD trucks(both gas & diesel) have a hydro-boost brake system that's powered from the hydraulic power steering.
2019+ Hemi HD Rams have vacuum boost brakes.

OP
OP
KoboldTaco

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Oh it gets even better - I get an e-mail overnight with an Important Reminder for declined services. I mean, come on.....(in a sarcastic tone). Evidence attached.

Thanks guys for the discussion - always helps to make me feel less crazy and I am going to call and cancel my Oil Change contract. My trust is ZERO now for them to go anywhere near my truck. At least I'll get a few bucks back on it and my buddy has a fantastic place to do this type of maintenance. He's got a 2020 2500 and a warehouse we can drive into.

Last, I DID NOT REQUEST any of this - I notice how they say customer request for a few lines - is that how they protect recommending unnecessary services......what?!?!?!?!?!

Image (10).jpg

Image (9).jpg

Attachments

• Image (10).jpg
    Image (10).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357